Something I was thinking about the Firestaff.

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Something I was thinking about the Firestaff.

Post by Hearly »

Ok, When Tarrin threatened to cut the weave to his amulet and trap the firestaff forever away from Val, Why did Val believe him?

We have Niami telling Tarrin after the fact that they've tried destroying it many times, and when he went Pyrosia, it dropped on the ground when he went into the portal, so wouldn't if he cut the weave to his amulet the firestaff would have just popped out and fallen to the ground?

Just a little thing I was thinking about while I was waiting for chapter 11 of sub...
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Re: Something I was thinking about the Firestaff.

Post by Wildcat »

But does Val know that?  He knows Tarrin is deperate enough to cut the weave, and he technically isn't destroying the Firestaff, just rendering it impossible to touch. I don't think Val wanted to take the chance that it might work.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

wildcat wrote:But does Val know that?  He knows Tarrin is deperate enough to cut the weave, and he technically isn't destroying the Firestaff, just rendering it impossible to touch. I don't think Val wanted to take the chance that it might work.
Maybe Firestaff have manipulated him...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

wildcat wrote:But does Val know that?  He knows Tarrin is deperate enough to cut the weave, and he technically isn't destroying the Firestaff, just rendering it impossible to touch. I don't think Val wanted to take the chance that it might work.

Not sure, but if it did work why not just toss it into Spyders cloak?

I'm not sure why it even allowed itself to go into the "other" space where items go, I mean it's not in Sennadar anymore, so shouldn't it do the same thing as what happened when Tarrin went into the portal?
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

hearly wrote:Ok, When Tarrin threatened to cut the weave to his amulet and trap the firestaff forever away from Val, Why did Val believe him?

We have Niami telling Tarrin after the fact that they've tried destroying it many times, and when he went Pyrosia, it dropped on the ground when he went into the portal, so wouldn't if he cut the weave to his amulet the firestaff would have just popped out and fallen to the ground?

Just a little thing I was thinking about while I was waiting for chapter 11 of sub...
I think the firestaff would have just remained Trapped in the "other" Space  
I don't thing anything Tarrin had carried in his amulet would have been destroyed but would have just been cut off from anyone's access

Phantom
hearly wrote:

Not sure, but if it did work why not just toss it into Spyders cloak?

I'm not sure why it even allowed itself to go into the "other" space where items go, I mean it's not in Sennadar anymore, so shouldn't it do the same thing as what happened when Tarrin went into the portal?
While it sounds good i'm guessing the results would have been the same as when tarrin walked throught the portal..

As for the "other" space i think it exists where ever the user is located at the time... I mean it occupies the space where the user currently is but in some sort of shifted or out of Phase dimension.

Therefore the Firestaff see's it self as still being on Sennadar untill that space moves with Tarrin to Pyrosia.

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

phantom wrote:
I think the firestaff would have just remained Trapped in the "other" Space  
I don't thing anything Tarrin had carried in his amulet would have been destroyed but would have just been cut off from anyone's access

Phantom

While it sounds good i'm guessing the results would have been the same as when tarrin walked throught the portal..

As for the "other" space i think it exists where ever the user is located at the time... I mean it occupies the space where the user currently is but in some sort of shifted or out of Phase dimension.

Therefore the Firestaff see's it self as still being on Sennadar untill that space moves with Tarrin to Pyrosia.

Phantom

But then wouldn't all Niami and the other gods had to do would be to put it in the "other" space and let it there for all eternity?
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

Maybe, but I'm assuming an other space like that has to be tied to some physical object, like Tarrin's amulet. I think the Firestaff would start influencing people once it got near time for it to activate again, just as it influenced people in book 4, even though it was under a lot of seals.  

I don't think the Firestaff likes the gods... didn't Fel say somewhere the Firestaff existed to test them?
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

It should be pretty apparent by now that the Firestaff has its own sentience, and it also has the power to move itself when it deems it necessary.  It extricated itself from the elsewhere to avoid being taken off Sennadar, and it could have easily removed itself from the elsewhere had Tarrin destroyed the amulet.

But Tarrin and Val didn't KNOW that at the time.  Tarrin made that threat with intent to carry it out.  He didn't know that it wouldn't work...it was his final trump card.  Val also didn't know that it wouldn't work, which was why he took it seriously.

For those who are curious, the elsewhere is simply extradimensional space attached to the amulet.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

i just thought of something that might be important.

the firestaff is sentient to a degree and it could have removed its self from tarrins amulet at any time but remained, tarrin is now linked to it as well when his soul was tranformed into a gods soul.

if tarrin were in trouble and called to the firestaff could he summon it?
the need do so would have to trancend the contimium, and tarrin would have to really be in trouble. (deeper that usual that is)

or would it help by sending power to him?
Last edited by MechCraft on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the world bows before you, dont forget to wipe your feet.
Plshade
Novice

Post by Plshade »

That brings into question; what type of sentience does the Firestaff have? Is it merely a survival instinct, where it does whatever it has to protect itself, or does it have a personality and/or emotions.

As for helping Tarrin, history shows that the Firestaff will not help it's "children". It did nothing to stop Tarrin from destoying Val (and himself) but then again neither one called for help from it.

As for sending power to Tarrin, I don't believe its possible. Val's Shadow had to physically hold the Firestaff before it could drain power from staff.
What you don't know, wont hurt you. But what you search for, might GET you.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Regarding the sentience, I would guess that it is geared towards a purpose. In this case, fulfilling its function of creating Gods out of ordinary mortals, unbound by any rules. It is also limited towards Sennadar only, so it would stop itself from leaving. Everything it does is likely going towards fulfilling one or both of those, though the effect might not be seen for centuries, possibly millennia.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

fel wrote:It should be pretty apparent by now that the Firestaff has its own sentience, and it also has the power to move itself when it deems it necessary. It extricated itself from the elsewhere to avoid being taken off Sennadar, and it could have easily removed itself from the elsewhere had Tarrin destroyed the amulet.

But Tarrin and Val didn't KNOW that at the time. Tarrin made that threat with intent to carry it out. He didn't know that it wouldn't work...it was his final trump card. Val also didn't know that it wouldn't work, which was why he took it seriously.

For those who are curious, the elsewhere is simply extradimensional space attached to the amulet.
Well at least i got part of it right   ::)

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)