Fel Tracker

General announcements about the forum and its related services.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Greymist
Weavespinner

Fel Tracker

Post by Greymist »

I was thinking looking at the blue tracker on the wow forums, which in the forum display shows a list of all their posts and in the thread display jumps you to the next post. What I was wondering is if anyone would be interested in me implementing something similar or am I just bored for suggesting it?
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Re: Fel Tracker

Post by DigitalMaestro »

I already use an RSS aggregator for that very purpose, so yeah, it's a great idea.

-DigitalMaestro
alkiera
Initiate

Post by alkiera »

An RSS feed of that sort would be great. I've started using a feed-reader recently for managing the shows I watch on Hulu and some of blog/webcomic stuff; being able to add Fel's posts to that would be awesome.

Alkiera
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

alkiera wrote:An RSS feed of that sort would be great. I've started using a feed-reader recently for managing the shows I watch on Hulu and some of blog/webcomic stuff; being able to add Fel's posts to that would be awesome.

Alkiera
There is currently an RSS Feed for the forums, although it's not particularly well publicised. Point your feed reader at: http://forums.sennadar.com/rss.php
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

would it be possible to create an RSS feed for new threads (not new posts) in subforums?
In particular, I'd be interested in new threads in the Chapter Announcements forum - New thread means new chapter to read :) .... the current RSS feed with all new posts is way too cluttered for that... i use the google rss reader if that is relevant...
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

You know when you have been watching too much Animal Planet, when you see the title of this thread and you keep getting a mental image of Spec standing over a tranqualized Fel slipping a radio tracking collar on him, while Marlin Perkins is standing off to the side trying to sell me Mutal of Omaha life insurance.

P.S. Yes I know that last part shows my age.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

boballab wrote:You know when you have been watching too much Animal Planet, when you see the title of this thread and you keep getting a mental image of Spec standing over a tranqualized Fel slipping a radio tracking collar on him, while Marlin Perkins is standing off to the side trying to sell me Mutal of Omaha life insurance.

P.S. Yes I know that last part shows my age.
So, Spec stands in for Jim? At least I think that was the name of Marlin's animal handler, I was young at the time...
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

so, any infos regarding my question?
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Taltos wrote:so, any infos regarding my question?
The RSS one? A bit of poking around with some regex in Yahoo Pipes gives me this: http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info? ... 75cd29c264 which works for me (it's showing a post in the garbage can atm).

Only problem is, you'll need to be running this fairly regularly, or be using say Google Reader which automaticly fetches every few minutes.
The RSS Feed only spits out the most recent 20 posts (afaik), and this will only show initial 'Chapter' posts which are posted by Fel or myself. So, you'll only ever be seeing at most, one item in here. It won't show replies to posts.

Give it a shot, see if it works for you. (That'll only be determined when Fel posts next).
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

perfect, thanks! didn't know about that pipe thingy. i just subscribed (google reader), now we just have to wait for fel to finish a chapter. :)
PsychoWulf
Novice

Post by PsychoWulf »

And here I thought that we were going to implant Fel with a tracking chip that lets us know where he is at all times.
"War is an ugly thing. But not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill-
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Yep, my first thought was "Finally someone chipped the bastard! :twisted: "
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

I admit it was my fault I dropped the syringe with the chip in it and it rolled into a sewer grate. While Spec was trying to help me get it out, the tranqs on Fel wore off and he stumbled away and we are still trying to find him again.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

boballab wrote:I admit it was my fault I dropped the syringe with the chip in it and it rolled into a sewer grate. While Spec was trying to help me get it out, the tranqs on Fel wore off and he stumbled away and we are still trying to find him again.
He's around... you're just not paying enough attention, or hitting refresh frequently enough. Then again, given traffic this year has been ~= twice last year's... maybe you have been hitting refresh more :)
dawich
Novice

Post by dawich »

kd7mvs wrote: So, Spec stands in for Jim? At least I think that was the name of Marlin's animal handler, I was young at the time...
Exactly, Jim Fowler. Marlin did a lot of animal handling himself, however. By the time I was watching the show, he didn't travel so much anymore due to duties with the various zoos and organizations for conservation, so he and Jim were rarely in the same place, but early on, a lot of on camera animal action had him in it as well, and he'd had his share of animal bites, etc.

http://www.stlzoo.org/home/history/marlinperkins.htm
http://www.wildkingdom.com/nostalgia/perkins_bio.html

I met him several times when I was in high school and he was the director of the St. Louis Zoo, in the last few years before his death.