Sennadar.com Upgrades (2008)

General announcements about the forum and its related services.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Sennadar.com Upgrades (2008)

Post by Spec8472 »

Yes, I'm finally getting around to updating the site.

For the moment, that means I've just installed wordpress - but I'll be moving some work I've done already on this over and setting it up to let people download the books, etc.

Inbound Links
Any links to http://www.sennadar.com which don't point to either /forum/ or the root directory will probably be broken.

If someone wants to come up with a .htaccess rewrite rule that will fix them all, that's fine by me, otherwise - I'll just put up a custom 404 page and tell people to fix their links.

Books
The books are not up on http://www.sennadar.com at the moment, use either the forums, or the old http://sennadar.plebian.net site (amongst others).

I'll be putting up the books in a variety of formats, and using those which people have already uploaded to the forum, or emailed to me. You'll get credit for them :)

Design/etc
As per before, I'm open to people putting forward designs.
Take note, however that my forte is NOT in HTML/CSS/etc (I can hum along to the beat and do a little CSS alterations, but I end up just getting frustrated and using a default template if it's more than a simple change). So if you put forward a design that's an image, I'm probably not going to use it unless somone else goes to making it a wordpress theme.

I'm trying to swing a little design work (logos/styles/etc) - but that's not likely to happen quickly.
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

Re: Sennadar.com Upgrades (2008)

Post by furry_wolf2001b »

Will the rss still work? O.O;
(i have found it addicting)
Miss spelling sweed in tha house! ;)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

furry_wolf2001b wrote:Will the rss still work? O.O;
(i have found it addicting)
Yes, These changes arn't going to alter how the forums work.
crxbnt
Da'Shar

Post by crxbnt »

I can send you MS Reader formats for the books you do not have (i.e. Subjugation II -Insurection). I am visually impaired, and find MS Reader one of the more easy to read formats for myself.
Attachments
Subjugation II - Insurrection by James Galloway (aka Fel).lit
(332.85 KiB) Downloaded 976 times
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

crxbnt wrote:I can send you MS Reader formats for the books you do not have (i.e. Subjugation II -Insurection). I am visually impaired, and find MS Reader one of the more easy to read formats for myself.

That would be great if you could do this - I think someone else had already done this, but I'm not sure where those files are (I'll be doing a lot of searching of PMs, forums, and emails over the weekend)

FWIW: I've taken the main http://www.sennadar.com down at the moment as someone pointed out a security issue. I'll have that fixed up soon.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Spec8472 wrote:
crxbnt wrote:I can send you MS Reader formats for the books you do not have (i.e. Subjugation II -Insurection). I am visually impaired, and find MS Reader one of the more easy to read formats for myself.

That would be great if you could do this - I think someone else had already done this, but I'm not sure where those files are (I'll be doing a lot of searching of PMs, forums, and emails over the weekend)

My site has files of completed stories in M$.doc, PDF, MobiPocket and HTML.

Fawks
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Spec8472 wrote:

FWIW: I've taken the main http://www.sennadar.com down at the moment as someone pointed out a security issue. I'll have that fixed up soon.
I just had a thought

How are you planing on offering the files on the updated site ....as individual chapters or full Storys or both ?

Or were you planing on offering them kinda like Baen does

You know Htmls of each chapter and DL's of the Full versions for the other formats.

Phantom
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Somewhat-ish like Baen, yeah.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

ok, so I've added templates to the site for managing the books, and added all the books that are actively in-progress (I'll probably treat the inactive/discontinued ones differently).

I've gone and ripped the MS Word, PDF, Mobipocket, and MS Reader versions from Fawks's site (I'll add credits soonish) and that's the basis of the site at the moment. (I've renamed them all to fit in with the file naming scheme)

I will go and add the MS Reader version of Insurrection that crxbnt attached, and then start working on HTML versions for the site. I've got something specific in mind for how it should work, so that'll just take some more time.

There are some other visual/presentation type things which I should be able to fix too.

Example of complete book: http://sennadar.com/wp/books/subjugation/subjugation/

Example of in-progress book: http://sennadar.com/wp/books/other/spirit/

Most of the options are set via metadata on each book's page in Wordpress:
book-inprogress.JPG
All-in-all, a few hours work to get this far. Most of it was just data-entry.
cdhaag
Novice

Post by cdhaag »

I would like to suggest/request that you contact gcomyn about using his html SOL format in zip. That is the format I prefer. It makes reading the accumulated works of Fel easier for me on my portable devices.

Chris
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

cdhaag wrote:I would like to suggest/request that you contact gcomyn about using his html SOL format in zip. That is the format I prefer. It makes reading the accumulated works of Fel easier for me on my portable devices.

Chris
Yeah, I'll probably be using something similar to that.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

I just now read past weeks updates in this topic. I wish I knew how to do the css html stuff, but alas, my programing degree predates the advent of most of today's web programming. Also, since I (finally) graduated during the spring 2000 IT meltdown. I never was never able to get into the field. :(

I do like to read the stories on my pda using mobipocket. It keeps the location of where you last read and opens the book at the same location. :)

Hey Spec, for the doc files do you prefer to have the chapter links on the title page or at the end of the book? I think I have mixed the types while I was finding out my own preferences and never established a standard for the files. Your preference would be???
www.weavespinner.net

Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Spec8472 wrote:ok, so I've added templates to the site for managing the books, and added all the books that are actively in-progress (I'll probably treat the inactive/discontinued ones differently).

I've gone and ripped the MS Word, PDF, Mobipocket, and MS Reader versions from Fawks's site (I'll add credits soonish) and that's the basis of the site at the moment. (I've renamed them all to fit in with the file naming scheme)

I will go and add the MS Reader version of Insurrection that crxbnt attached, and then start working on HTML versions for the site. I've got something specific in mind for how it should work, so that'll just take some more time.

There are some other visual/presentation type things which I should be able to fix too.

Example of complete book: http://sennadar.com/wp/books/subjugation/subjugation/

Example of in-progress book: http://sennadar.com/wp/books/other/spirit/

Most of the options are set via metadata on each book's page in Wordpress:
book-inprogress.JPG
All-in-all, a few hours work to get this far. Most of it was just data-entry.
Looks cool so far ....not real snazzy but very functional
Are you going to add a Zip file of the Html chapters to the Download page ?
It seems to me a lot of readers like using Htmls to be able to convert to other formats better
the say Doc ,Mob or Pdf's .....Converting PDF's back into other formats can be a real pain.

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Yep, that's coming - I've actually put up most of the books in the linked formats, except for HTML.

And yeah, snazzy/fancy wasn't my goal. Updating the thing should be as simple as possible.
Fawks
Sui'Kun

Post by Fawks »

Spec8472,

I was checking out the files, on the new Sennadar, and I am getting errors on the .doc files for Subjugation and Weavespinner. I double checked the files on my site and they seem good files.

Also I'm uploading the blank .doc file with the chapter navigation/TableOfContent links for you to use in the future, if you want to use it. Oh, If the macros are not in the file, (it occasionally happens to me after reinstalling winders) look at the bottom of the link page, for the macro instructions. http://www.weavespinner.net/Worlds_of_Fel.htm

Fawks
Attachments
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27... ©.doc
Generic .doc file for easy chapter navigation. Delete unwanted chapter links and ToC chapter links.
(517 KiB) Downloaded 949 times
www.weavespinner.net