Read any good books lately?

Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

Forgive the new guy if this has been discussed in earlier threads. If it has been I'm sure Spec will direct me to the proper thread. I see the "links to good reading" thread, but how about some ink and paper reading. With Harry Potter done and George R.R. Martin taking his usual time I find myself laking things to read on my train ride home from work. Along with fantasy and sci-fi I like Navy and spy thrillers (any thing but Tom Clancy). So I guess it comes down to this:
Thanks
wise_wolf
Talent

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by wise_wolf »

The coldfire trilogy is pretty good. The sword of truth series is also pretty good, long but good. C.S Friedman wrote the cold fire trilogy and Terry good kind wrote the sword of truth, to save you some time tracking the authors down.
Mysterious
Sorcerer

Post by Mysterious »

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan isn't half bad, but it does drag on quit a bit. But it is one of the best long epic fantasy series I've have ever encountered.

Mysterious
You're not FAT... You're just horizontally gifted :)
Odyssey
Initiate

Post by Odyssey »

As spy/Navy thrillers go I liked Web Griffens The Corps or the Presidential Agent. Matthew Reilly, Schofield seires is also enjoyable. Im trying Brad Thor now, his first novel was ok waiting to judge it after reading a couple more.
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

thanks for the suggestions I'll take a look...I've tried Robert Jordan, checked out the first one from the library and it seemed like a nice adventure but a little aimless and rambling. Any other suggestions out there?
gesit
Sui'Kun

Post by gesit »

try David Weber's serial : Honor Harrington
one of the best out there
c u

ham

PS another is from Jerry Ahern : Survivalist
Last edited by gesit on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prymael
Initiate

Post by Prymael »

Depends on what type of sci-fi/military you're into, but if you haven't tried the 'Ghost' series by John Ringo, I'd recommend that for sure, maybe Glen Cook's 'Black Company' series for more a fantasy type, I'd have to see what else is laying around, but there's something at least :)
Questions are dangerous for those who would obey without.
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

So I have been looking into the authors and books you guys have posted. I just read the Wikipedia article for Mathew Reilly. He owns and drives a Delorean, one of only 3 or 4 in Australia, and he owns a life size replica of Han Solo encased in Carbonite. He sounds like my kind of guy, I think I will start with him. Thanks guys
Dreamer
Initiate

Post by Dreamer »

How about Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow, some of the sequels are a bit more controversial as to whether or not they are as good, but these two are decent reads.
Deeb
Sorcerer

Post by Deeb »

Dreamer wrote:How about Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow, some of the sequels are a bit more controversial as to whether or not they are as good, but these two are decent reads.
Reminds me of the new XKCD Comic http://xkcd.com/304/ :)
-Deeb
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

It's not exactly recent reading, but I rather like Jeffrey Archer's books, not really fantasy, more like historical adventure, but rather engaging and fun. Kain and Abel and The Prodigal Daughter are my favourite.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

If you like SF&F, take a look at Good Books (Scifi) thread on this forum, my page on Sennadar Wiki: /Favorite Books and Authors, and Russ's Book Reviews (by rating).

I also recommend What should I read next?, Reader2 and Gnooks sites to find books similar to the ones you already like.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")