Al Steiner, A Perfect World/Greenies...

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Al Steiner, A Perfect World/Greenies...

Post by Hearly »

You know I had to post someplace about these great stories..

I know some people do not like Al's work, but I love most of his Long Stories, To me Thou, these 2 touched a Nerve, I do believe at some point we will end up with Big Business controlling the government just as it happens in Al's Greenies Universe, But I do not think we could "control" re-direct human Nature as they managed to do on Mars...

But it is a Nice Dream to have a Gov't who actually Works for it's people instead of who ever gives the politicals the most money... It would be nice if Common Sense actually mattered, That if someone commited a crime actually got put away for the proper amount of time...

etc...

So those who also read those 2 stories, do you see Parallels (sp?) between the stories and Real life?
Trekkie
Initiate

Re: Al Steiner, A Perfect World/Greenies...

Post by Trekkie »

I couldn't stand that story. I stopped reading it after the first 2 chapters.
Lokis Advisor
Initiate

Post by Lokis Advisor »

I enjoyed both stories and hope that Al does some other fill in bits of stories based in this area. I think he is quite correct in his assesment of how business will take over the goverment.
Also I recomend Accidental Martian on SOL as a good read, it is set in this universe and is a good story.
Enjoy the time you spend having someone else expand your mind.
SirVal
Initiate

Post by SirVal »

I've tried to read both stories (-:you can read them separetely:-), bud also cant get past the first few chapters. I did really enjoy 'Aftermath' and 'Doing It All Over' though.

I think mankind is incapable of not thinking for themselfs first, ones power and/or money and/or luxury comes in to play. Al sketched a nice dream world (and did a good and thorough job while at it).

With other words; I agree with you Hearly.
Sirval
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

Well, considering that chapters 1&2 of A Perfect World are really only the background for the story, I suggest you wanna try and read again :). It gets a lot more involved after that.

Similar goes for Greenies, it builds up the characters, then starts the actual story line that goes beyond the motives or a few characters.

Greenies was, much as Al Steiner had said, the original, though he only wrote so far before the story was stopped. A Perfect World was the first one to be posted though.
As such, Greenies starts out a lot tamer, and becomes significantly steamier once it hits the point where the old chapters were merely being corrected/adjusted, and the new chapters that were written post A Perfect World. It is erotica after all ;).
SparkTiger2
Novice

Post by SparkTiger2 »

ive never heard of those books but they sound interesting. is there a link where i can find out more about them?
If a man is not willing to die for something he believes in, he is not fit to live at all.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

SparkTiger2 wrote:ive never heard of those books but they sound interesting. is there a link where i can find out more about them?

http://storiesonline.net/story/43998 NSFW

(Perfect world, which was released First)

and

http://storiesonline.net/story/46291 NSFW

Greenies

You'll have to register with the site, but it's a free registration.

go here first
http://storiesonline.net NSFW

Set up an account, then use the links above.

Edited by Admin: Added NSFW ("Not safe for Work") identifiers.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

I tried to get through them, but I couldn't stomach the character interaction in the first chapter of the original. It sounds like it could have been interesting if I could have gotten past that part, but I just couldn't push myself to do it. :P :?
~Michael 8)
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
SparkTiger2
Novice

Post by SparkTiger2 »

thanks for the link.
If a man is not willing to die for something he believes in, he is not fit to live at all.
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

i love love love these stories, Al is one of my fav writers of e-books. Unfortuntly if you cant stand erotica i suppose you would hate his books
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

It wasn't the erotica... it was the character's and their mindset.
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Speaking of Al Steiner's work -- Intemperance, Volume 2 has been started...

The first chapter was released yesterday or the day before (on Stories Online )

I'd post a link, but uh, I'm at work.
SparkTiger2
Novice

Post by SparkTiger2 »

ive read a couple of chapters so i will have to agree that the beginning is so boring i was in tears. but afterwards it gets much better so if you stomach the first couple of chapters you will find a really good story
Trekkie
Initiate

Post by Trekkie »

Quindo Ma wrote:Well, considering that chapters 1&2 of A Perfect World are really only the background for the story, I suggest you wanna try and read again :). It gets a lot more involved after that.
I just couldn't stand the way he uses a curse word in every sentance, and his pipe dream for a perfect society.
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

Trekkie wrote:I just couldn't stand the way he uses a curse word in every sentance, and his pipe dream for a perfect society.
Well, dispite the overuse (which you actually get accustomed to the longer you read) of curse words, he played that out from the whole story line background. As it was from the 'scum' of humanity that Mars was (in that universe) originally settled, and for those people, talking like that was simply normal.

If you would talk getto slang all your life, wouldn't the sometimes overly formal "dictionary" english sound strange and stupid to you?

Also, some of the phrases from A Perfect World find their origin in lines from Greenies.

From a writing standpoint, Al Steiner did a great job. Even if it might be unconventional.
And his "pipe dream", while completely impossible here on earth due to over population and fractured countries where none are self sufficient enough to not have to rely on imports, does have a solid idea behind it. It's something the people have been striving for since politics were invented, yet was always made impossible for some reason or another. The idea of a pure democratic society, where wealth isn't the sole driver of life, where the needy are cared for, where the crime fits the punishment, and where, what's the most important thing, common sense (which you have to admit, a lot of people lack, or throw aside for other things) is paramount, is not something to scoff at, just because it doesn't fit your idea of a perfect world, or because it's decorated with what we consider nowadays as curse words.

Languages evolve, what 40 years ago was a sin to speak and harshly punished, hardly irks many people today. Think about that.

Don't judge because of a point of view. Wars have been fought over who thought which color was prettier, or who's god is better. In the end, it's all just opinions, and just like assholes, everybody has one.
If you have to judge, do it over bad writing, not unconventional writing.