Interesting spells and spell ideas

Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Interesting spells and spell ideas

Post by Shadowhawk »

This thread is meant to share interesting spells and magick (not only from Firestaff series, but also for example from less known books) and spell ideas (not only for Firestaff universe, but for example also for Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Charmed Ones universes). If this thread will turn out to be interesting, then perhas it could be made sticky.

Example of defense techniques and spells:

First, Harry Potter universe:
  • "Shield Charm" (Protego) is used to stop the spell (existing spell).
  • "Reflect/Redirect Spell" (Pondero?)can be a shield or just counterspell used to change direction of spell. I don't know if similar spell exists.
  • "Mirror Shield" (Repello?) to redirect spell back to caster.
Quite universal, can be used in Firestaff universe
  • Use local version of Teleport spell to change places with opponent while missile like spell is cast (i.e. with finite time of flight, no homing, disconnected from caster)
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Drackmord
Talent

Re: Interesting spells and spell ideas

Post by Drackmord »

what would happen if you used mind flows in the elemental spell?
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

I thought of a Spell from days of Playing Larn and Rogue. FoD (finger of Death. I do believe that Val tried this on Tarrin during their titanic battle.

J-Man5
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

J-Man5 wrote:I thought of a Spell from days of Playing Larn and Rogue. FoD (finger of Death. I do believe that Val tried this on Tarrin during their titanic battle.
You meant The One I think.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Some spells from the wonderfull Roger Zelazny series "Amber", the second 5 books (chronicles of Merlin). There are translated back into English from a Polish (my native language) translation, so they might differ from official version.
  • Attack spells: nice spell of heart attack (doesn't work well on creatures with more than one heart, and of course on those who deson't need one, like undead and unalive), spell of eviction-warrant/writ of eviction (against persons being possessed by ghost and the likes; functions well also against zombies), Slap of Giant (might be used to slow the falling), 4th July (fancy name for confusing/blinding spell, isn't it?), Falling Wall, Black Ice/Icy Path (creates path of slippery ice under the feet of enemy), Klaxon/Horn (like the one in "The Mask" movie, nearly deafening), Fantasia on six acetylene torches (blinding mostly I guess). The naxt spells are Mandor or Dara spells: Storm of Confusion, Astral Club/Astral Mace (i.e. cudgel, bludgeon), Black Well (attack against the senses), Electric Porcupine/Electric Hedgehog, Unravelling, Diamond Bubble, Chains of Unchaining (or something like that).
  • Defense spells: spell of wall of wind, shield, Curtain of Chaos (e.g. egainst the storm of small thrown items)
And of course there is ultimate "Chaos Nuke" spell... and Storms of Chaos used by Ghostwheel.
Last edited by Shadowhawk on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

Shadowhawk wrote:And of course there is ultimate "Chaos Nuke" spell... and Storms of Chaos used by Ghostwheel.[/list]
There is a similar spell in the Munchkin RPG called 'Thermo Nuclear Weapon' it's kinda self explanitory but quite funny. The caster would have a hard time surviving the casting, not because of the nuclear fall out, which in and of itself is quite deadly, but because it costs like 10XP per creature killed and it's got an area effect of 1000 square km or something rediculous like that. Wouldn't you just hate if the area was a bee farmers haven :twisted: :wink:! Or home to a ridiculously large horde of bats :twisted: ! Or even better: both!!!!! :lol: (Ahh, the chuckle of a GM) :lol:
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Well, "Chaos Nuke" is even more (gasp!) than that. In Amber's world the equivalent of planes in D'n'D (or alternative worlds) are shadows. The ultimate weapon of Chaosites can destroy whole shadow (some of them are pocket universes though), returning it to the primal chaos they all came from.
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

yea Chronicles of Amber is some good stuff.

Chaos Summoning: uses chaos and its randomness to search through the "shadows"(same thing shadowhawk is talking about) and find something and bring it to you
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Another "final" level spell is Plasmorphic Shockwave Spell from Mage Stories by Y.S. McCool (original fiction; warning: containst slash (homosexual) relationships). This spell effects resembles slow moving nuclear explosion front, and unchecked (even if stopped, but not extinguished) is a plane/planet level destruction spell, if not by fire then by using up all the oxygen (or hydrogen) in atmosphere. Originally theoretical work on the limits of magic...