Books in PDF

wildph
Katzh-dashi

Re: Books in PDF

Post by wildph »

Hi Everyone,

I've uploaded my PDF copies of Fel's work to my dot-mac homepage -- this includes :

Firestaff Book1 - Tower of Sorcery
Firestaff Book2 - The Questing Game
Firestaff Book3 - Honor and Blood
Firestaff Book4 - The Shadow Realm
Firestaff Book5 - Weavespinner
Pyrosian Book1 - Axe of the Dwarven King
Pyrosian Book2 - Sword of Fire
Pyrosian Book3 - Demons Bane (WIP - to chapter 4)
Subjugation (WIP - to chapter 12)

The PDF files are arranged, one file per chapter, and are formatted in landscape format for easy display in fullscreen mode on a laptop or PC.

The link is : http://homepage.mac.com/wildph/

Hope this helps someone

Cheers

XW
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Sorry, it took me so long. I did mean to make them last year :) but things got rather busy an I had a site to finish.

Now about the justified text: I usually don't like it because it is harder to ind the place you read, so I did it absolutely on purpose. And since most PDF readers do show page number I didn't think it was necessary. The letter format: well i used the original doc files and it seams they were in letter format and I didn't pay attention. It doesn't really matter if you don't mean to print them. And I would have used Quark Express if it was for printing.

Here are Axe of the Dwarven King and The Sword of Fire. The "covers" are not exactly what I had in mind but I did't have the time to think much about them. Also these have page numbering and are justified and are in A4 sheet format. enjoy
Attachments
Axe.Of.The.Dwarven.King.pdf
Book 6
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 2587 times
The.Sword.Of.Fire.pdf
Book 7
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 1341 times
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Metatrone wrote:Sorry, it took me so long. I did mean to make them last year :) but things got rather busy an I had a site to finish.

Now about the justified text: I usually don't like it because it is harder to ind the place you read, so I did it absolutely on purpose. And since most PDF readers do show page number I didn't think it was necessary. The letter format: well i used the original doc files and it seams they were in letter format and I didn't pay attention. It doesn't really matter if you don't mean to print them. And I would have used Quark Express if it was for printing.

Here are Axe of the Dwarven King and The Sword of Fire. The "covers" are not exactly what I had in mind but I did't have the time to think much about them. Also these have page numbering and are justified and are in A4 sheet format. enjoy

Humm I hate to point out this little fact but ....

While these maybe be The Kael Chronicles...... Fel Split them in to 2 Distinct but Similar Serie's ....

Books 1-5 Fall in to the " Firestaff Collection" .

While these Books (considered by most to be Books 6-8) Fall into the " Pyrosian Chronicles " and are actualy Books # 1-3 of this series ...

Personaly Seeing as each is it's own book 1-5 Covers Really Should
Say "The Firestaff Collection" and then have each individual Book names as well on the cover as well ....not just the inside Page.

This is just my thinking ....but Books 1-5 when you open then in Adobe either version reader or Accrobat .....you see the exact same thing could lead to confusion.

The biggest problem i saw with them is ....No Copyright info on the Title page or on any page inside the book.

It just has--- by James Galloway ---- Nothing more.

I see that Someone attempted to make sure the Copyright data is in the Properties section of the PDF ...but put the Copyright notice in the Keywords section ....not the Copyright section In the Full version of Adobe Accrobat there is a section set aside just for Copyright info and to enter a URL for Copyright info...

( Click on Image Below for better view )

I would guess Spec8472 wouldn't have much of a problem with creating a new page on sennadar.plebian.net just for this purpose.

This way anyone putting copys of these at LuLu.com... could be in big trouble if Jame's requested they be removed and they didn't..

Yes and they could be passwrod protected and made Read only ...

But That would last about as long as it takes me to remember where i put my password cracker/remover utilitys so why bother?

Just some thoughts/ Ideas Ect..

Phantom
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Last edited by Phantom on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

I know I made a mess of the naming of the books, but there are several problems. First all the books are from the "Kael Chronicles", but then it gets rather confusing. You've got the "Firestaff Series" and the "Pyrosian Chronicles" and these two are not exactly equal titles, are they? I named them "Sennadar Series" and "Pyrosian Series" which are more logical, but then again that's my oppinion.

And I chose book 1-8 insted of 1-5 + 1-3 because this is how the are posted here, and it might be a little less confusing to find which book you're supposed to read next. And I did't make the cover for the 1-5 books and I had absolutely no idea which that font is.

The thing about the copyrighting was actually an afterthought and I wasn't too serios about it. Actually as far as it concerns things like posting the books at Lulu.com what I put there is quite sufficient to provide legal ground for a request to remove the book from there.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Metatrone wrote:I know I made a mess of the naming of the books, but there are several problems. First all the books are from the "Kael Chronicles", but then it gets rather confusing. You've got the "Firestaff Series" and the "Pyrosian Chronicles" and these two are not exactly equal titles, are they? I named them "Sennadar Series" and "Pyrosian Series" which are more logical, but then again that's my oppinion.

And I chose book 1-8 insted of 1-5 + 1-3 because this is how the are posted here, and it might be a little less confusing to find which book you're supposed to read next. And I did't make the cover for the 1-5 books and I had absolutely no idea which that font is.

The thing about the copyrighting was actually an afterthought and I wasn't too serios about it. Actually as far as it concerns things like posting the books at Lulu.com what I put there is quite sufficient to provide legal ground for a request to remove the book from there.
I posed this on another thread
Copyrighted Material on the Internet

Q. Is it okay to upload my story to my website and just post a link to it?

A. In general, it would be an extraordinarily BAD idea. Posting copyrighted material on a public website can be construed as _publishing it._ You could forfeit all salable rights except "one time," which is usually the retread remainder for a work that has already sold all first, second, and other specific rights. Posting with a plain and definite caveat of "This is (an excerpt of) a work-in-progress posted for commentary and criticism" _might_ cover you, but the internet is still a young medium, and the laws haven't been fully tested.
See http://www.templetons.com/brad/copyright.html and http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html for more information.
Ouch i was looking through http://www.copyright.gov/ and found this little piece...
MANDATORY DEPOSIT FOR WORKS PUBLISHED IN THE UNITED STATES
Although a copyright registration is not required, the Copyright Act establishes a mandatory deposit requirement for works published in the United States. See the definition of "publication." In general, the owner of copyright or the owner of the exclusive right of publication in the work has a legal obligation to deposit in the Copyright Office, within 3 months of publication in the United States, two copies (or in the case of sound recordings, two phonorecords) for the use of the Library of Congress. Failure to make the deposit can result in fines and other penalties but does not affect copyright protection.

Certain categories of works are exempt entirely from the mandatory deposit requirements, and the obligation is reduced for certain other categories. For further information about mandatory deposit, request Circular 7d, "Mandatory Deposit of Copies or Phonorecords for the Library of Congress."
also at http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#pub
We find
The 1976 Copyright Act defines publication as follows:

"Publication" is the distribution of copies or phonorecords of a work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending. The offering to distribute copies or phonorecords to a group of persons for purposes of further distribution, public performance, or public display constitutes publication. A public performance or display of a work does not of itself constitute publication.
================================================
NOTE: Before 1978, federal copyright was generally secured by the act of publication with notice of copyright, assuming compliance with all other relevant statutory conditions. U. S. works in the public domain on January 1, 1978, (for example, works published without satisfying all conditions for securing federal copyright under the Copyright Act of 1909) remain in the public domain under the 1976 Copyright Act.
Certain foreign works originally published without notice had their copyrights restored under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA). Request Circular 38b and see the "Notice of Copyright" section of this publication for further information.

Federal copyright could also be secured before 1978 by the act of registration in the case of certain unpublished works and works eligible for ad interim copyright. The 1976 Copyright Act automatically extends to full term (section 304 sets the term) copyright for all works, including those subject to ad interim copyright if ad interim registration has been made on or before June 30, 1978.
================================================
A further discussion of the definition of "publication" can be found in the legislative history of the 1976 Copyright Act. The legislative reports define "to the public" as distribution to persons under no explicit or implicit restrictions with respect to disclosure of the contents. The reports state that the definition makes it clear that the sale of phonorecords constitutes publication of the underlying work, for example, the musical, dramatic, or literary work embodied in a phonorecord. The reports also state that it is clear that any form of dissemination in which the material object does not change hands, for example, performances or displays on television, is not a publication no matter how many people are exposed to the work. However, when copies or phonorecords are offered for sale or lease to a group of wholesalers, broadcasters, or motion picture theaters, publication does take place if the purpose is further distribution, public performance, or public display.

Publication is an important concept in the copyright law for several reasons:
  • Works that are published in the United States are subject to mandatory deposit with the Library of Congress. See discussion on "Mandatory Deposit for Works Published in the United States."

Publication of a work can affect the limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner that are set forth in sections 107 through 121 of the law.

The year of publication may determine the duration of copyright protection for anonymous and pseudonymous works (when the author's identity is not revealed in the records of the Copyright Office) and for works made for hire.

Deposit requirements for registration of published works differ from those for registration of unpublished works. See discussion on "Registration Procedures."

When a work is published, it may bear a notice of copyright to identify the year of publication and the name of the copyright owner and to inform the public that the work is protected by copyright. Copies of works published before March 1, 1989, must bear the notice or risk loss of copyright protection. See discussion on "Notice of Copyright" below.
Here is the info for Notice of Copyright. while not really needed, you can see from the highlighted section below where this would be a good thing
NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT
The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U. S. law, although it is often beneficial. Because prior law did contain such a requirement, however, the use of notice is still relevant to the copyright status of older works.

Notice was required under the 1976 Copyright Act. This requirement was eliminated when the United States adhered to the Berne Convention, effective March 1, 1989. Although works published without notice before that date could have entered the public domain in the United States, the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA) restores copyright in certain foreign works originally published without notice. For further information about copyright amendments in the URAA, request Circular 38b.

The Copyright Office does not take a position on whether copies of works first published with notice before March 1, 1989, which are distributed on or after March 1, 1989, must bear the copyright notice.

Use of the notice may be important because it informs the public that the work is protected by copyright, identifies the copyright owner, and shows the year of first publication. Furthermore, in the event that a work is infringed, if a proper notice of copyright appears on the published copy or copies to which a defendant in a copyright infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a defendant's interposition of a defense based on innocent infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages, except as provided in section 504(c)(2) of the copyright law. Innocent infringement occurs when the infringer did not realize that the work was protected.

The use of the copyright notice is the responsibility of the copyright owner and does not require advance permission from, or registration with, the Copyright Office.
Here is the offical CopyRight Notice format for Visual works
Form of Notice for Visually Perceptible Copies
The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain all the following three elements:

1. The symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word "Copyright," or the abbreviation "Copr."; and

2. The year of first publication of the work. In the case of compilations or derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient. The year date may be omitted where a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work, with accompanying textual matter, if any, is reproduced in or on greeting cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful article; and

3. The name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative designation of the owner.

Example: © 2002 John Doe

The "C in a circle" notice is used only on "visually perceptible copies." Certain kinds of works--for example, musical, dramatic, and literary works--may be fixed not in "copies" but by means of sound in an audio recording. Since audio recordings such as audio tapes and phonograph disks are "phonorecords" and not "copies," the "C in a circle" notice is not used to indicate protection of the underlying musical, dramatic, or literary work that is recorded.

Damn there is a lot I didn't know. also a lot I didn't understand or understand correctly

But if i'm reading the above quotes correcly Fel's (James Galoways) Stories are considered to be PUBLISHED works.

There is a Little Gray area here, In the fact that he is still working on Book #3? or #8 ?

And the Above quotes were straight from the U.S. Government Copyright web site. at http://www.copyright.gov/
so anyone wanting to check on this themselfs can.

Phantom
Last edited by Phantom on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

As long as you can prove that the current conditions and restrictions of the materials define them as PUBLISHED the answer is yes. But you may have some hard time doing that. My education is based on the European judicial model but I don't think the copyright information is exactly adequate. Copyrght laws are awlays so murky, especially well it gets to materials published on the internet.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Metatrone wrote:As long as you can prove that the current conditions and restrictions of the materials define them as PUBLISHED the answer is yes. But you may have some hard time doing that. My education is based on the European judicial model but I don't think the copyright information is exactly adequate. Copyrght laws are awlays so murky, especially well it gets to materials published on the internet.

There are those who Figure if there is no Copyright notice then it's Public Domain even if it isn't ....

Plus it's easyier for a lawyer to win a Copyright LawSuit if it's included and right in their Faces.

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born