FYI, Mission of Honor (spoilers)

Hearly
Speed Racer!

FYI, Mission of Honor (spoilers)

Post by Hearly »

Is out as an E-AR, and it's not that bad, but Weber, seems to be scattering it a bit, One chapter your with Henkle, then your back to Honor, etc. thought it was a bit short too compared to At all costs which was 60-70 chapters, this might be 40-45...

overall it moved the storyline forward well, but the end was a bit hard to swallow as i can see the haven war ending, I mean that was pretty much determined in shadow, but to go from at war to Alliance seems like a stretch in a matter of 1 meeting..
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: FYI, Mission of Honor (spoilers)

Post by Phantom »

Hearly wrote:Is out as an E-AR, and it's not that bad, but Weber, seems to be scattering it a bit, One chapter your with Henkle, then your back to Honor, etc. thought it was a bit short too compared to At all costs which was 60-70 chapters, this might be 40-45...

overall it moved the storyline forward well, but the end was a bit hard to swallow as i can see the haven war ending, I mean that was pretty much determined in shadow, but to go from at war to Alliance seems like a stretch in a matter of 1 meeting..
that's E-Arc ...= Electronic Advanced Reader copy......Or more truthfuly it's an ---Electronic Un-edited Preview copy
----
Well you have to consider that this one Ties.... "the Saganami Island Series: (Storm From the Shadows),
as well as "the Eric flint HH Universe novel: (Torch of Freedom) Both back into the Main Universe.
so i can understand the jumping around .....there was a lot that happened in those Novels

I don't know though I've only read about 1/3 of it so far ...is it just me? this Novel seems some what ...(how can i put it) Tame ?
Laid back , Slowed down ?
so far it seem to lack the drive the other novels have had .....this one almost seem to be sort of a Pause before the explosion maybe ?

Maybe that will change as i get farther into it ...I loved "Storm From the Shadows" and "Torch of Freedom" they both seemed to keep
me much more glued to the edge of my seat...and wanting to read them non-stop fast as i could.

I just hope this one picks up soon too
Question i have is will the other story lines continue or will they just now fold back totaly into the HH Main Line now.

Well back to reading to find out i guess.

Humm i just noticed 5 years today from when i finaly decided to quit lurking and join in ......

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

BIG BIG Spoilers below.

(used the spoiler button, but doesn't seem to be hiding the text below at least to me... )
Spoiler
Show
Ok to me the book ended way too early, I mean he could have drawn out the meeting in the last chapter by a few, did the SLN attack on there home system, and ended it there...
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

I have read the E-Arc and I have spent some time over on Weber's official site and on Baen's Bar. What this means is that the length in chapters is what he was shooting for since he was getting feedback on people not liking the length the later "Mainline" Honor books was getting to. As to the the Haven/SEM alliance that was not unexpected by the denizens of his site or the Bar. What you need to keep in mind is that the original Republic of Haven was overthrown by the Mesan's as part of their plan. The DusQuene Plan that caused the first war with the SEM was made by a Mesan agent and it was another Mesan agent (Giancola) that caused the new Republic of Haven to fire the first shot against the SEM in the second war. Between being used as a dupe by the Mesan's which led to wars that destroyed the original Republic Tom Theisman revered, ruined the Navy he was a part of and got all those people killed including the lover of the New Republics President, there was the negotiations that Honor took part in during the first half of the book, then you got the information that Zilwicki and Cachet brought back (so they know the Mesan's are using the SLN as dupes) so it wasn't as if they just stopped firing abnd started singing Kumbaya. The Republic of Haven is looking for revenge and won't let the Mesans get away with what they done to the SEM.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

boballab wrote:I have read the E-Arc and I have spent some time over on Weber's official site and on Baen's Bar. What this means is that the length in chapters is what he was shooting for since he was getting feedback on people not liking the length the later "Mainline" Honor books was getting to. As to the the Haven/SEM alliance that was not unexpected by the denizens of his site or the Bar. What you need to keep in mind is that the original Republic of Haven was overthrown by the Mesan's as part of their plan. The DusQuene Plan that caused the first war with the SEM was made by a Mesan agent and it was another Mesan agent (Giancola) that caused the new Republic of Haven to fire the first shot against the SEM in the second war. Between being used as a dupe by the Mesan's which led to wars that destroyed the original Republic Tom Theisman revered, ruined the Navy he was a part of and got all those people killed including the lover of the New Republics President, there was the negotiations that Honor took part in during the first half of the book, then you got the information that Zilwicki and Cachet brought back (so they know the Mesan's are using the SLN as dupes) so it wasn't as if they just stopped firing abnd started singing Kumbaya. The Republic of Haven is looking for revenge and won't let the Mesans get away with what they done to the SEM.

I'm not disagreeing with what you said,, but I think the meeting went too quick, I mean granted the Treecats and Honor can tell if they're lying or not, but for Liz going from wanting to destroy the whole republic of Haven, esp after the Battle of Man. to singing Kumbaya in 1 chapter just seems a bit Rushed.. now the E-ARC shows it as being 43 chapters the last one was 70+ chapters, I think he could have tossed in 2 or so more chapters dealing with the SLN fleet coming, and Haven and Manties working together and the reaction of the SLN to that.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

tHE THING IS mesans are slavers that purposely been making them fight. THey hate slavery and are very pridful groups, also those that dont want war finally have an option, tell everyone those damn slaving bastards have been the cause of all this death and destruction, finally a chance to bring them to the blade. They both see that the solarians are going to go off eventually and they need to prepare for the storm.
.S.A.M.K.M
hermit-bob
Novice
Location: somewhere where it gets frickin cold AND really hot.

Post by hermit-bob »

Here's the thing, Queen Elizabeth doesn't really want war with Haven, she's only out for revenge for the people that have killed her father and uncle, have tried to kill her and her friends. War is bad for everyone, Elizabeth knows this, the only reason she was behind RMN's build up prior to the First Havenite War was because war was inevitable. If it would be possible Elizabeth would be more than happy for Haven to come out into the open and apologize(and also surrender all sovereignty and kill off every first born child...she is kinda bloodthirsty), but war is the last thing Manticore needs or wants.

The real culprit has always been and will be Mesa, or for those who have read ToF, the LRPB. By the end of WoH it's obvious that only the Solarian League will be able to maintain any kind of real peace in the area if Haven and Manticore can't clean out the agents from Mesa or even just elements that want to maintain the conflict.

With what happened in Monica the SLN is starting to sit up and take note of the tech advances that Haven has been telling them about since the first outbreak of hostilities, and if the sollies ever get their act together and start do real research then both Haven and Manticore won't have a chance, because the first group to end up with any of the real firepower will be OFS. OFS already got a bloodly nose from Monica so Manticore is going to be on the top ten list of people they hate...that's when things will get...interesting.
Where ever you go, there you are.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

hermit-bob wrote:Here's the thing, Queen Elizabeth doesn't really want war with Haven, she's only out for revenge for the people that have killed her father and uncle, have tried to kill her and her friends. War is bad for everyone, Elizabeth knows this, the only reason she was behind RMN's build up prior to the First Havenite War was because war was inevitable. If it would be possible Elizabeth would be more than happy for Haven to come out into the open and apologize(and also surrender all sovereignty and kill off every first born child...she is kinda bloodthirsty), but war is the last thing Manticore needs or wants.

The real culprit has always been and will be Mesa, or for those who have read ToF, the LRPB. By the end of WoH it's obvious that only the Solarian League will be able to maintain any kind of real peace in the area if Haven and Manticore can't clean out the agents from Mesa or even just elements that want to maintain the conflict.

With what happened in Monica the SLN is starting to sit up and take note of the tech advances that Haven has been telling them about since the first outbreak of hostilities, and if the sollies ever get their act together and start do real research then both Haven and Manticore won't have a chance, because the first group to end up with any of the real firepower will be OFS. OFS already got a bloodly nose from Monica so Manticore is going to be on the top ten list of people they hate...that's when things will get...interesting.
One big problem the Solarian League will not be in existance in the not to distant future. In TOF you had Barregos and Rozsak both saying the same thing Honor did at the end of SFTS: The SL is too unwieldly and with to many fracture lines, it is just waitng for the right push to fly apart.

Keep in mind that the Maya Sector was going for independence on its own becasue they saw the SL falling apart even without the help of the Mesa or the RMN blowing up the SLN. Also in MOH you see the real enemy is not the LRPB of Mesa (they are nothing but dupes in the layers of the onion) but the true inner circle called the Rennisance League of planets that Mesan Alpha Lines have subverted and taken over. The Mesan plan is the same plan the Maya Sector has and the same plan Honor has for defeating the SL: Shatter the SL and force it into succesor states and Rennisance League plans to be one of those successor states. From there they will continue what they have been doing for the last 600 year: subverting planets and getting bigger. Also keep in mind that in MOH you see at the Battle of Spindle RMN Heavy Cruisers with APollo Pods wipe out an entire SLN SD divison and forced the surrender of the rest of the SD's (about 60 in total) because ther had the RMN Battlecruisers hyper in behind them.

So far the RMN has grossly overestimated the SLN's capabilities and in each encounter can't believe how much they actually outclass the SLN. What's going to drive this point finally home will be when Adm Filareta drops into the Manticore system with 400 SLN SD's and gets his whole fleet either wiped out or captured by the combined SD's of the RHN and RMN with backup from the system defense stations. After that it is going to be panic in the SL and what do you think is going to happen after that when an RMN task force shows up in some SL planets neighborhood and sends an ultimatium of leave the SL or else lose all your infastructure.

Keep in mind also it will take between 2 to 5 years before the SLN can get an SD that comes close to the capabilites of a RMN or RHN SD. IT takes 2 years for construction alone (see TOF) then add in time for research. Then you got to find manpower to put into that ship so that means you need to ramp up training. As it stands right now there isn't enough trained manpower to fully man the SLN's reserve fleet, let alone man new construction (I have a feeling the RMN is about to remedy that problem). So SL has to stay together for up to 5 years before they get their first ship that can match the RMN and that is if the RMN doesn't upgrade themselves during that time, which is not a safe bet (DW let it slip at a Con that Shanon Foraker is going to be adopted by a Treecat. I wonder where that will occur since Treecats only reside on 2 planets at the moment. So you will have Foraker working with Hemphill and with the defector Herlander). Then find someone to command these new ships after trying to survive the past 5 years of being massacred by the RHN and the RMN. Ain't going to happen the SL and the SLN is toast as it stands right now, it is what takes it's place that matters which brings us to Beowulf the second oldest human occupied planet and a close ally of Manticore and who also has a SL veto....
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment