tech advice -- kinda

dellstart
Child of Niami

tech advice -- kinda

Post by dellstart »

I have a pretty decent comp ( whose specs i guess i will share in a moment )and enjoy playing a wide range of PC games.
Normally before I purchase ) , I run my spec by a little program "can you run it." http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

This time however , I received the following

CPU
Minimum: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4 GHz or greater (Vista/7 requires 1.6 GHz or greater), AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz Fail in their words
Do - have XP on a HP media center 2005 by the way

CPU Speed
Minimum: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4 GHz or greater (Vista/7 requires 1.6 GHz or greater), AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater You Have: 3.06 GHz (pass)

Plus everything else was pass too be it RAM , VID card , OS etc

My question is , is this a problem and if it is what can i do about it?
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Re: tech advice -- kinda

Post by Hearly »

dellstart wrote:I have a pretty decent comp ( whose specs i guess i will share in a moment )and enjoy playing a wide range of PC games.
Normally before I purchase ) , I run my spec by a little program "can you run it." http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

CPU
Minimum: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4 GHz or greater (Vista/7 requires 1.6 GHz or greater), AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz Fail in their words

CPU Speed
Minimum: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4 GHz or greater (Vista/7 requires 1.6 GHz or greater), AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater You Have: 3.06 GHz (pass)

Yes, looks like you need a newer computer, the single core just can't keep up with even a dual core 2ghz.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Hearly wrote:
dellstart wrote:I have a pretty decent comp ( whose specs i guess i will share in a moment )and enjoy playing a wide range of PC games.

CPU

CPU Speed

Yes, looks like you need a newer computer, the single core just can't keep up with even a dual core 2ghz.

I am kinda afraid of that, cause cash is a bit tight at the moment, to plonk down on new comp. My question do i really have any other options( ie a cheaper solution ) ?
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

The Pentium 4 CPU line is quite old.
The Intel Core line is the sucessor to the Pentium line, and uses a much more efficient and faster architecture.

The Intel Core2 Duo lineup is a series of Dual-Core (two processors in one chip) CPUs which although may "only" be running at about 2Ghz, is able to do a lot more.

Unfortunately your CPU, motherboard, and RAM is of a significantly older architecture, and isn't compatible with the Core architecture. That said, an entry level Core2 CPU, Motherboard, and new RAM shouldn't set you back too much.

Core2 Duo E7500 + Motherboard + 4GB RAM shouldn't come to more than USD$350 or so. Less if you look around carefully.

In the Intel Core line, the i5/i7 models are the newest, although the Core2 models are still decent (all my machines are based on these).
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

I'd like to also add, Walmart has some very cheaply priced Dell's (you do get what you pay for though) but something to tied you over for awhile they will work.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Thanks guys , this really helps.

I am not a total noobie when it comes to computers , its just that when ever i have needed to add RAM or improve a vid card , I kinda know what to do . A CPU problem ( though for almost everything else its a pretty good) is something new.

Found this on my search a round the web http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3446

Though if you throw in the 4 GB is another hundred.
Still have to check some cheapish comps prices on walmart and other things. This is an education for sure
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

dellstart wrote:Thanks guys , this really helps.

I am not a total noobie when it comes to computers , its just that when ever i have needed to add RAM or improve a vid card , I kinda know what to do . A CPU problem ( though for almost everything else its a pretty good) is something new.

Found this on my search a round the web http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3446

Though if you throw in the 4 GB is another hundred.
Still have to check some cheapish comps prices on walmart and other things. This is an education for sure
only problem i can see with that system ....and one you should watch for these days ..

if your playing lots of games .....the Power supply in that system is only what a 350 watt model
personaly i'd go with at least a 450 watt ps.....or 600+ watt if possiable

If you move into Pci express Video cards or use a lot of USB stuff you will quickly find you need lots and lots of power

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

dellstart wrote:Found this on my search a round the web http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3446
Yep, that'd be a decent start. You should more than likely be able to keep your existing video card if you want.
Like Phantom says, if you have, or are going to be using very high powered video cards, then you'll likely need a bigger power supply - but that can be swapped out later if needed.

If you don't need the case, and you've already got a power supply that's 350W or higher, then you should be able to save a few $ by getting the mobo/cpu/ram alone.

(Also, it already includes 4GB RAM in that kit, add another 4GB if you want 8GB total, but you'd need to use a 64bit OS - like windows 7 x64 or vista x64)
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Ok I will take that into account and a look around some more and see what pops up.

Thanks heaps guys

details to follow.
Wiz
Novice

Post by Wiz »

If you are going to upgrade your motherboard, cpu, memory and/or psu the best place I have found for hardware reviews is http://www.hardocp.com
The site is mostly for gamers and overclockers but it does also review some entry level hardware.
The review for entry level psu is here http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/02/ ... y_roundup/
They go into detail about the performance and are not afraid to give bad reviews.