Good Free Books

padfoot
Initiate

Good Free Books

Post by padfoot »

I just got myself a new website http://www.goodfreebooks.com/ Its under construction currently, and I was wondering if I could have your permission to put your books on my site Fel.

My site will only be hosting legally free ebooks, so if any of you could point me towards where I could get free ebooks of any category or genre be it computers..self help..animals whatever... so I could add them to my website.

I'm going to try and specialize the site on Sci-fi or Fantasy initially, which most of you all read here..so if you all could also suggest some good books which are free..(yea..I'l ask their authors for permission to host them) plus write down some comments about the book..I'l post them on my site along with your comments (If the comments are well written).

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
andy_t_roo
Sorcerer

Re: Good Free Books

Post by andy_t_roo »

the "links to good reading" (http://forums.sennadar.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=777 ) contains many links to a wide variety of literature which is available free and legally.
padfoot
Initiate

Post by padfoot »

Thanks andy..

Since this is the first time I'm making a website I was wondering..
Copyright issues..even though the ebooks that are free .. Do I need to get permission to host those files on my own website? I know I probably do..

Do I still need permissions of author/publisher when I'm just placing links to their website, or providing direct download links to the file being hosted on the authors website? and are there any issues if I write good/bad comments about those books on my own site.

If anyone has any ideas or knowledge about these issue please do let me know. Thanks

Also I was considering which cms should I use to build this site? Drupal..or wordpress or Joomla..any suggestions?
reborn
Novice

Post by reborn »

i would suggest you ask the authors before you stick them up online and tell them you will be commenting.

Most of them won't mind if its constructive
Isengrim
Initiate

Post by Isengrim »

As I recall you don't need permission to link to an author's public website. You should probably ask before posting a link to the direct download. I'm certain that you have to have permission if you host the ebook on your own server space.

As far as having comments about the books, I'm pretty sure that would be treated as a book review. In other words don't say something slanderous and don't say anything that could lead to a disciplinary hearing at your day job.

I'm not a lawyer, if you want legal advice you can have full confidence in find a lawyer that specializes in copyright law.