Australia an Asian nation, say Chinese

dellstart
Child of Niami

Australia an Asian nation, say Chinese

Post by dellstart »

WTF!!!! _ yeah like they eat meat pies , drink beer , play cricket and footy or speak English in Bloody china! If I am Asian mate , then
blue bloody chooks will fly backwards on Wednesday! :x

THAT perennial and uniquely Australian debate - are we an Asian country or not - has finally been settled. By the Chinese.

A Lowy Institute poll of Chinese public opinion on world affairs, to be released today, shows Australia is accepted as an Asian nation, with an important role to play in regional organisations, attractive values and a good political system.

But the Chinese are wary of Australia's close ties to the United States, with 48 per cent of those surveyed regarding it as a negative influence on Australia-China relations.

In what is believed to be the first public survey of Chinese attitudes on Australia, the poll also showed almost half those surveyed believe Australia is a country suspicious of China.

Reflecting a growing nationalist strain in Chinese politics, the country's youth are more likely to regard the United States as a potential threat and to argue China receives less respect than it deserves in world affairs.

The Lowy Institute's Andrew Shearer said he was pleasantly surprised about how positive attitudes were towards Australia's role in regional matters.

''We know that's not necessarily in keeping with official Chinese views. Over the years China has been quite active in blocking Australian participation in East Asian forums,'' Mr Shearer said.

The positive findings also coincided with the height of tensions over the visit to Australia of exiled Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer that drew a sharp rebuke from Beijing.

The survey of 1200 people was done in late August and early September.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Re: Australia an Asian nation, say Chinese

Post by Fiferguy »

Interesting... I guess they're going to have to rewrite all those geography books that told me that Australia was its own continent. 8)
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

FIFA has also redrawn the lines. In the latest round on world cup qualifiers Australia has been moved from the Oceania (sometimes Oceanica) group to the asian group.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

only an Aussie :wink:

Missing' Mick turns up ... in a pub

A Tasmanian man at the centre of a two-day missing persons operation in New Zealand has been found drinking in a bar and oblivious to the search.

Michael Craig, known as Mick, had last been seen on security footage stumbling out of a South Island pub in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Mr Craig, 45, who is in New Zealand for a fishing trip, was finally located at another bar, in nearby Christchurch, on Sunday night unaware of any concern over his disappearance.

Police had ramped up efforts to find him, saying there was mounting concern for his safety and going so far as to check waterways and investigate whether his bank accounts had been accessed.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

dellstart wrote:WTF!!!! _ yeah like they eat meat pies , drink beer, play cricket and footy or speak English in Bloody china! If I am Asian mate, then
It might be more accurate to say that the origonal natives (who lived there for thousands of years before the criminals barges* arrived) don't eat rice, drink tea, play go or xiangqi, or speak mandarin.

*And before you take this as an slur, look at the many horrible things done to the natives by all types of British imigrants, with and without permission from the empire's colonial office, and later the office of the australian prime minister. Including forgetting that they exist when it comes to the nation's history. :(

That aside there are some very counter insuative results here. I would have thought the younger generations would be less inclined to negative views of America.
I is an certified nut
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

ANTIcarrot wrote:
dellstart wrote:WTF!!!! _ yeah like they eat meat pies , drink beer, play cricket and footy or speak English in Bloody china! If I am Asian mate, then
It might be more accurate to say that the origonal natives (who lived there for thousands of years before the criminals barges* arrived) don't eat rice, drink tea, play go or xiangqi, or speak mandarin.

*And before you take this as an slur, look at the many horrible things done to the natives by all types of British imigrants, with and without permission from the empire's colonial office, and later the office of the australian prime minister. Including forgetting that they exist when it comes to the nation's history. :(

That aside there are some very counter insuative results here. I would have thought the younger generations would be less inclined to negative views of America.
true.