A question of magics

Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

A question of magics

Post by Lochar »

I'm looking for help compiling a number of types of magic. I'm kinda bashing out a story in my head, but it's still in the beginning stages, and I need some help.

Anyways. Types of magic. Things such as Necromancy, Abjuration, etc. I've already looked into the seven fields of magic in D&D, but I'm wondering what others can come up with.

I'm not looking for specific magic users, and I'm not looking for arcane versus divine. Just what fields of magic there would be.

So, can anyone help?

Necromancy
Abjuration (Shielding)
Onieromancy (Magic through sleep)
Divination
Illusion
Enchantment
Imbuing (Creating magical items)
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
darkhand
Initiate

Re: A question of magics

Post by darkhand »

Other types of magic that comes out of the book of magic for third eddition

runic magic
true name magic

there is also the magic of intent as is shown at http://www.soulgeek.com/comics/zona/

I could probably think of others but I just can't at this moment.
peaking out from under the dark side of the hand of rl, I grin with a toothless smile.
darkhand
Initiate

Post by darkhand »

Okay just thought of another one
elementalists
fel used it in the second tarren series.
Omegano
Initiate

Post by Omegano »

A few I can think of:

Chrono... err... what would Time Magic be called?
Conjuration.

Power Languages: IE, Language of Creation & Darkspeach.

Technomagicery. Combining technology with magic. Not a magic field, but something close enough I thought I should mention.

I might think of others later...

Omegano
Go ahead. Ask me any question, but if it needs logic or intelligence, you will want to ask that brain thingie that lives in in my head instead.
abysmalblade
Talent

Post by abysmalblade »

... blood magic...

best i can come up with at the moment
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Mind magic as in psionic

shadowrun also has something they call physical adept. Someone who can enhance their own body (speed, strength, invisibility, battle sense, better vision, better hearing, etc ) with magic.

beast magic (involving animals)
demon magic (involving demons)
andy_t_roo
Sorcerer

Post by andy_t_roo »

According to reliable sources magic is fundamentally teleological, so any fancy words you use to make the other guy believe that he believes you want him to believe works as well as any others.

on the other hand on the bottom of the wikipedia page for necromancy,or any of these other links you find :

Divination Methods (not quite magic types, but close)
Theriomancy

Ailuromancy · Alectryomancy · augur · Myomancy · Myrmomancy · Ornithomancy · Nggàm
Bibliomancy

I Ching divination
Scrying

Crystal gazing · Oculomancy · Catoptromancy · Hydromancy
Cleromancy

Astragalomancy · Favomancy · Ifá · Merindinlogun · Runic magic
Necromancy

nigromancy
Somatomancy

Cephalomancy · Chiromancy · Podomancy · Rumpology
Abacomancy · Acultomancy · Aeromancy · agalmatomancy · Aichmomancy · Aleuromancy · Alomancy · Alphitomancy · alveromancy · amathomancy · ambulomancy · amniomancy · anthomancy · Anthropomancy · anthracomancy · Apantomancy · anthroposcopy · anthracomancy · Apantomancy · arachnomancy · archeomancy · arithmancy · ariolation · armomancy · aspidomancy · Astragalomancy · astrapomancy · Astrology · Astromancy · auramancy · Axiomancy · Belomancy · bletonomancy · Pyromancy · brontomancy · bumpology · Carromancy · Catoptromancy · cattabomancy · cineromancy · chalcomancy · Cartomancy · choriomancy · chresmomancy · Chronomancy · clamancy · cledonism · cleidomancy · colormancy · conchomancy · Coscinomancy · Crithomancy · Cromniomancy · cryptomancy · Cybermancy · Cyclomancy · dactyliomancy · Dactylomancy · Dōbutsu uranai · Dowsing · dream question · Enochian chess · eromancy · Extispicy · Fal-Gûsh · Floriomancy · Geomancy · Geloscopy · Gematria · Graphology · Gyromancy · haruspex · horoscope · Ichnomancy · Isopsephy · Kabbalah · Kau cim · Lampadomancy · Lecanomancy · Libanomancy · Literomancy · Lithomancy · Macharomancy · Margaritomancy · Megapolisomancy · Metoposcopy · Moleosophy · Molybdomancy · Onomancy · Numerology · Oinomancy · Omphalomancy · Oneiromancy · Onomancy · Onychomancy · Oomancy · ouija · Phrenology · Tasseography · Physiognomy · Plastromancy · Psychognomy · Rhabdomancy · Rhapsodomancy · Scapulimancy · Slinneanachd · Sortes · Spodomancy · Sternomancy · Tarot · Uromancy

--

definitions of all these i leave to the reader.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Having played the witcher , how couldn't you not throw in potion making, Dont know the correct word for it-sorry
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

dellstart wrote:Having played the witcher , how couldn't you not throw in potion making, Dont know the correct word for it-sorry
I'd call potion making part of imbuing (listed in the first post), I'd also guess I'd call imbuing just an action performed with a type of magic. Or perhaps imbuing is just a type of magic which has to be used with another and can't be used on its own.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Greymist wrote:
dellstart wrote:Having played the witcher , how couldn't you not throw in potion making, Dont know the correct word for it-sorry
I'd call potion making part of imbuing (listed in the first post), I'd also guess I'd call imbuing just an action performed with a type of magic. Or perhaps imbuing is just a type of magic which has to be used with another and can't be used on its own.
:oops: sorry my bad, kinda didn't see that up there on the list..
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Er...... the magic of political correctness , where all of a sudden all sort of social ,geopolitical , racial and finance woes disappear with the wave of a wand. Now that's true magic
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Nope that's the magic of delusion. There are 2 types of it: self delusion and grand delusion. (second one does rhyme with grand illusion)

J-Man5
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

There are also the various 'psychic' magics. And psychics are basically witches and wizards by another name, whatever certain really tacky authors I've had to deal with may wish to believe. Telepathy. Telekenisis. Empathy.

Voodo - and the various other 'regional flavours' of ancient classics.

Then ther's the scifi stuff - which for all intents and porposes is magic beccause it flat out breaks the laws of physics.
*Gravity maniupulation A (external deflector screens, gravity decking) - invoking gravity
*Gravity manipulation B (internal security fields, compact fusion cores) - changing the nature of gravity
*All forms of FTL
*Any violation of thermodynamics - specifically ships without radiator wings.
I is an certified nut
garion
Sorcerer

Post by garion »

there is the hole rifts world of magic thats dependant on ley lines as in ley walkers and ley focuses
God made pot, man made booze, who do trust, what would you choose
darkhand
Initiate

Post by darkhand »

Unfortunately anticarrot, you are both right and wrong about FTL.

As a practical matter, at this moment the scientific community agrees with you

however, the theoretical sciences state that it is possible to go beyond the speed of light.

so FTL can not be considered magic in this case, but I can agree with the other sci fi type conventions you have pointed out.
peaking out from under the dark side of the hand of rl, I grin with a toothless smile.