Spirit Walker update.

Fel
Weavespinner

Spirit Walker update.

Post by Fel »

Well, when my mother gave me back my half-finished chapter 9 of Spirit walker, what I got back was corrupted.

As such, I'll be getting back to work on that, and I'll be starting over.

Ummm...yay.

I finish my midterm crap on Friday, and I'll get back to work on the story then.

All I have left is a 5 min powerpoint presentation and a 10 page paper, so nothing terribly huge.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Re: Spirit Walker update.

Post by Weresmilodon »

If she sent you the file, is the file on her side also corrupted, or only the file she sent?

Or did you get the whole computer back?
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

Did you try opeining it with Notepad or another text editor. I know you probably had it originally in doc format or something, but often, if you didn't change fonts etc you can still make out the text of the document. Depending on the uniqueness of the document as to if you can salvage the text. It is still easier usually just to recreate it, but it is possible if it's still in good enough condition. Also look for shadow copies of the file, if you have the computer. Often MS Word will make shadow copies of a document that can then be retrieved if the original is corrupted. I've never personally used the feature and usually shut it off, but I think it's sometimes standard set to make the shadow copy. Just think shadow walker is saved by a shadow copy...:)
proteus moteus
Talent

Post by proteus moteus »

The "strings" program on a unix/linux computer will pull out just the raw text in any file. If there is any remaining text left in the corrupted file it would be able filter for it. If you dont know someone with such a system you could email me the file to see if there is anything left to salvage.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Fel wrote:Well, when my mother gave me back my half-finished chapter 9 of Spirit walker, what I got back was corrupted.
You realise that you have a lot of 'distributed computing' potential at your disposal here Fel?

I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to help unscramble 1/10th (say) of the corrupted file if sent to them in txt format.
I is an certified nut
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

ANTIcarrot wrote:
Fel wrote:Well, when my mother gave me back my half-finished chapter 9 of Spirit walker, what I got back was corrupted.
You realise that you have a lot of 'distributed computing' potential at your disposal here Fel?

I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to help unscramble 1/10th (say) of the corrupted file if sent to them in txt format.
yeah , ill put my hand up right now!
deane
Sorcerer

Post by deane »

dellstart wrote:
ANTIcarrot wrote:

yeah , ill put my hand up right now!
same here I put my hand up to reconstruct your work :-)
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

lapland wrote:Did you try opeining it with Notepad or another text editor. I know you probably had it originally in doc format or something, but often, if you didn't change fonts etc you can still make out the text of the document. Depending on the uniqueness of the document as to if you can salvage the text. It is still easier usually just to recreate it, but it is possible if it's still in good enough condition. Also look for shadow copies of the file, if you have the computer. Often MS Word will make shadow copies of a document that can then be retrieved if the original is corrupted. I've never personally used the feature and usually shut it off, but I think it's sometimes standard set to make the shadow copy. Just think shadow walker is saved by a shadow copy...:)
This mostly worked.

I had a friend of mine IRL who is pretty good with software recover 7 pages of the chapter, so I won't be starting from scratch.

But I still won't be starting on this til after I write that paper for history. ;)
deane
Sorcerer

Post by deane »

any updates yet please ;-)
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I'm on page 15ish, and I'll have time to work on it tomorrow. I dunno if I'll finish it, but there's your update.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:I'm on page 15ish, and I'll have time to work on it tomorrow. I dunno if I'll finish it, but there's your update.
heck for all I care, you could do the dragon story fully before Spirit walker :P (and maybe some more Jason too..)
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Thanks for the update Fel, hope the history paper went well. How much more time do you have before you are done with school?
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
andy_t_roo
Sorcerer

Post by andy_t_roo »

fel,
glad to see that things are settling down for you now, and i look forward to whenever you release another chapter.

in the meantime,
a song of freedom and captivity -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxoy3ImIGtM (dr who music -- the theme of the Ood)

Andrew
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

michaelsuave wrote:Thanks for the update Fel, hope the history paper went well. How much more time do you have before you are done with school?
I'll find out on Monday what I scored on it.

It took me a while to research, but only about 3 hours to actually write.

Preparation makes that easy. ;)