So my Wow Account was Hacked.

Hearly
Speed Racer!

So my Wow Account was Hacked.

Post by Hearly »

No clue on how it was done, but I've ordered Blizzard Authenticator for my account.

I'm hoping I get all my stuff back soon (happened Friday)

the link to the Authenticator

with the item, I could give everyone my user/pass and they still couldn't access my account without the item, IMO everyone who has an account should get one just for the protection it provides.

http://www.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000442
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Re: So my Wow Account was Hacked.

Post by imthejman85 »

There's a bunch of ways people can hack a WoW account. I've had several phishing e-mails from sites that almost looked like legitimate e-mails from Blizzard that were aimed at getting my account info, namely by asking me to verify my account information. The other primary means of hacking accounts is a key logging program, normally buried in a mod you install for WoW. If you got an e-mail like that that you replied to, or installed any new mods shortly before you're account was hacked, then that was probably what did it. Just an FYI for anyone else who might read this and get help for them.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

imthejman85 wrote:There's a bunch of ways people can hack a WoW account. I've had several phishing e-mails from sites that almost looked like legitimate e-mails from Blizzard that were aimed at getting my account info, namely by asking me to verify my account information. The other primary means of hacking accounts is a key logging program, normally buried in a mod you install for WoW. If you got an e-mail like that that you replied to, or installed any new mods shortly before you're account was hacked, then that was probably what did it. Just an FYI for anyone else who might read this and get help for them.
ya but none of that happened, no key logger, no email (not that dumb to do it) etc..

So still not quite sure how they managed it, but with that Authenticator it will never happen again
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

I have played WoW, Shadowbane, City of Villians and Guildwars and the number one way people were able to get into some else's account was they lent a "friend" their logon an password. After that it is usually a toss up between a Keylogger program snuck into a mod or someone that pays to have the character power leveled and they then take everything from the account. Outside of that and a phisphing scam I can't think of anyone outside of blizzard that would have access to your info. I don't remember Blizzards setup since I haven't played in a couple years but you might want to go to their site and check your account page and see if they have you Credit Card info where it can be read. Some MMO's game sites let you see the credit card number when you log into your account page, relying on your logon and password to protect that info. If Blizzard is that way and you can see the card number you might want to contact your credit card company and bank about canceling that card. If the person that got into your game characters has/had your account logon and password they could have gone to your account screen and got your credit card number.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

That mate is such a bummer!
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

And if you live in the US you can get an iPhone authenticator app for WoW as well.