Star Trek was great (no spoilers)

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Star Trek was great (no spoilers)

Post by Hearly »

I have to say it was very very good, hope everyone gets to see it.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Star Trek was great (no spoilers)

Post by Spec8472 »

I posted my thoughts about it on my blog.

CAUTION: SPOILERS!
http://will.hughesfamily.net.au/20090508/star-trek-xi/
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Spec8472 wrote:I posted my thoughts about it on my blog.

CAUTION: SPOILERS!
http://will.hughesfamily.net.au/20090508/star-trek-xi/
Added a comment.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

Yes I found it enjoyable as well.
I must admit I did have some moments where its Sylar... with ears! :P
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Ok another excuse to delve into geekyness! :P
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Oh no it wasn't!

Post by ANTIcarrot »

No way I can let this pass... Oh yes, it was great. If you like idiot plots.

First twenty minutes: THOSE are supposed to be romulans?! THAT is supposed to be a *romulan* ship?! We are supposed to know this HOW? Since when do civilian ships have enough firepower to wipe out a military vessel 100 or even 200 years old? Anyone care to place bets on Nelson's flagship VS Esso's exploratory drilling ship? Yes I know transporters fail at the drop of a hat. But okay, they are complicated pieces of equipment (presumably) so we'd expect them to go wrong, but the ship's copulating autopilot?! "Count to ten, then go forwards." That instruction is so complicated that the computer can't follow it without Kirk's father at the helm to hold it's hand?

I know we're supposed to suspend our disbelief when we walk into a theater, but that's part of a deal, and in exchange the directors aren't supposed to dump bullshit in our laps. This film cost $300M; at least three times more than any star trek film beforehand. And yet they couldn't be buggered to spend twenty cents on their own film sets? How did filming in the Budweiser plant supposed to convince me we were in the future? The Vulcans have been in space for hundreds of years, but there are no more than 20,000 off world at any one time? No space stations, or colonies? Do they all suffer from chronic home sickness or something? Does anyone else remember the rumor that Paramount might be making a series called Starfleet Academy? Am I the only one who remembered how much everyone just knew it would suck? Well guess where this particular script first came from!

Yes the special effects are beyond reproach. I don't care. That's par for the course nowadays, and beautifully drawn ugliness is still ugliness. If you want to watch a whole new version of star trek, updated for the modern era, go rent Galaxy Quest. It is much closer to the source material than this, filled with far less angst, and much more entertaining. In fact at some points it was hard to tell who they were actually trying to imitate.
I is an certified nut
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

No way I can let this pass... Oh yes, it was great. If you like idiot plots.
FINALLY, someone who agrees with me! In two words - IT SUKT!

Thank goodness I was invited to go see the thing and didn't pay for admission. I'd have asked for a refund if I had!
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

And ANTIcarrot has listed the reasons I never go see remakes of orginals. If you want trek go buy or rent the Original Series or Next Gen and pop your own popcorn.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

boballab wrote:And ANTIcarrot has listed the reasons I never go see remakes of orginals. If you want trek go buy or rent the Original Series or Next Gen and pop your own popcorn.

It's not a remake, btw. They make a tenuous link that it's a continuation of everythign that happened before -- except that this time the Time Cops (Time Cops are never around when you need them) didn't stop Nero from destroying the past.

Also, black hole = crushing forces. htf did Nero's mining ship survive getting sucked into a black hole?
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

Well I did not think of it as a remake either but I supposed you could say it was in terms that it's the same characters and the same title using new actors (except for old spock). I thought the movie was enjoyable for the most part. There were a few things here or there that were out of wack but those things didn't keep me from having a good viewing experience. If you like to nit pick things you probably wouldn't enjoy it a whole lot but if you are that kind of person you probably don't enjoy most movies. :twisted:
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Downdude wrote:Well I did not think of it as a remake either but I supposed you could say it was in terms that it's the same characters and the same title using new actors (except for old spock).
Same characters, different title, different time. Star Trek The Motion Picture was set after the first five year mission with Kirk, the movie was set before the first five year mission.
Downdude
Katzh-dashi

Post by Downdude »

I was going to ad some more support for the remake theory but then I remembered I never supported it in the first place. So I'll leave any further comments to someone else. ;)
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/