The Great Migration #2 - (Partially Completed)

zedd
Sui'Kun

Re: The Great Migration #2 - (Partially Completed)

Post by zedd »

Great Job Spec :)
kaas
Novice

Post by kaas »

Nicely done- thanks for all that effort!!!

:)

kaas
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Well done and thank you.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Innnteresting, I didn't have to re-login, makes me worry about how much info the cookies much hold.

Oh, Spec, you'll need to implement the watch whole board fix again ;)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Greymist wrote:Innnteresting, I didn't have to re-login, makes me worry about how much info the cookies much hold.

Oh, Spec, you'll need to implement the watch whole board fix again ;)
Did you make a diff for that? I had to do 3x upgrades and it was complaining about conflicting edits on a LOT of files.

Edit:
Found it. Looks like when it did the merge it kept the commented out section commented out, so theoretically should still be applied.
gesit
Sui'Kun

Post by gesit »

All seems OK now m8
thanks for the hard work
well done,

ham
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Email from the forums is down, still. I'm not sure why.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Email is back it seems. There might still be a few problems with some domains though.

So are the spammers - since the start of the month, these are the accounts that were created:

» johnyr, MambaLeylaChka, CardTerp, Gusoir02, rekJuibrerb, Qiuene55, PoliaMiller, ruiliahoula, Sleesiaalkava, clealpZem, LiliAccimidem, dyhoscosymn, dawich, PetPhormhek, Aeromystoorma, xritatorik, Nataluussha
» PPWilliamK24, vermilankosaia, Smemitori, gulyaSertic, Lorpreorianon, vgold6688, loxHeseprep, Goostedok, Sazonchatos, Biandyadefe, theowaggiptot, Cramempabamma, memiSowek, alemianna, PoimmicRoat, Plestenex, Anolleyontord, UrgernBrona, Tizbegree, Neeloempody, EasersekemZew, Gooryhielry, PeattUnallDab, TrueEternal, BarbaraShtolce
» Nanokid, HawlChaibia, lotoualla, brittadsipt, Coxnentorry, Japeheark, AccouptaccurI, inaggeryissar, midebopssmils, PELEPOURL, rixheerty, jackaa2009a, spoopiellak, ignibrebeekly, Aseglave, Lolta_kiss, xiroskaad, OppoBcync, BellBeausty, MelmWeedgeWib, mekUnmase, mynctreme, beevaFego, FeetteMiz, offiptnix
» Taibelierzerb, truppypreenue, Acciftbascari, Jumbarassumbrw1, Mid Term, Frassesag, CellIncutle, NitasiacitA, agohoalla, Emiseenig, LifeZootteree, bassman1961, shoraDors, PierseFeD, gosaap, PharmacyOnlineCenter, lypeslala, LericSSk, wadagaidayCon, SaigoPellcoic, EagetafaK, Villiamkiijack, IrrallSewBern, FaumeLamned, lepetonon
» apponencoacle, optiquaport, AccencyDype, Anutochka, spulaLekgulge, Injepekeync, fantomspbru, peninetle, MagePaida, enribletell, gileDibeSeicy, Gemifarie, mupeIniweep, CreraIroX, comstalla, JenniferFanningen, NandyBeer, alkalsehaup, Poololaamucky, paphokRophy, SobSnurbunits, tikes59370, byzeselupa, thorcerge, WeitesZek
» talcorath, utirtyantax, stostabusiorb, goodwriter, AmurlAlombdot, danielsmith, yraykalis, tiptjaliRhits, FreidaDarrello, SanMartin, journeywomanalt, Roobfrog, max, jims3356, ZimunneLL, CymnGlync, Cactodostar, Nemkekquono, falomonosta, OffillVah, appomintago, cloudwalker, matozon, MultikFilm, ZepNeniReli
» tripstory, embewlybulk, BENDominique, vorealalla, JohnAklyzin, Manfred_Kreuzwirth, mesTinuesiC, grobokopatelsto, Fitimethaft, TOOrwER, LolitkaMmm, TihiePrudi, JeremyMcBacter, jejmeyez, JafffickZ, advivyJidgisy, Shulgeirrerge, ghij516, MultikEralash, axoxorpomaPep, ConsGrapono, musiclover, PukLemurcheg, KaraGGndS, addessylill
» Ranygilla, DrHouusse, sheeglish, Loruoo76, skelshienny, SeewDaupe, Zbunidze, lostroyalla, Pappirmciptax, essesspowless, flableslilm, SAJadafeasego, CarrieRodriguez, lemenopasa, floobecal, asseponenib, vevoiviorrilt, douffmentonep, grinjowss, Mubunlinglymn, DingoPes, lenkannnodin, AliseCarter, twerieswaro, Quostuccips
» HitPlus, boothsoxatola, Zoggelveblugh, ruasinner, masterkyrk, TarAminnawava, pahpuddyham, grinjowsa, Тамоня, tuningyou, IsosegobWew, Crerglott, stevensarima, Immustima, loaddcheapp, TehaseZ, peeterlink, Spedir, divyInfeFfind, illinoysuhg, furaJealprees, Agefoltalge, Scernaspese, MargowaRaX, AVACKATTY

It's why I'm not even bothering to email people now unless they contact me to activate their account.
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

I've had a similar thing start up recently on my own forums. Turns out, none of them actually complete their registration, they just register (with a most likely fake email) and leave it at that.
As it is, all I do now is to go into the incomplete registrations every few days and delete the whole bunch :)
dstar
Sorcerer

Post by dstar »

I solved this problem by adding 'display: none' to the style for the 'website' field on my signup page. And then rejecting any form that comes in with that field filled out -- a human will never see it, so it pretty much guarantees that the form was filled out by a bot.

I do have instructions not to fill in the form on the signup page, on the off chance that someone's using a browser that doesn't implement CSS.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Seems there are problems with the signups that irritate some people. This message popped up in the yahoo group a couple of days ago, though I just received it. (Yahoo seems to still have that distinctive service...)

To Whomever it may concern,

I have been trying to register on the sennadar website. This has been going on since May 5th. There has been no kind of email helping me login. There is no way on the website to contact an administrator because you have to LOGIN! There is no way to email anyone. There is no way to contact the author. I don't understand this, you want people to send you money, you want to have people to read your stories, but you make it so no one, and I mean NO ONE can get in touch with your website in order to let you know that there are problems with registering. I would at least appreciate some kind of explanation as to why. You should at least make it possible to contact an administrator on your website!

I hope to here from you soon,

My reply;

First of all, no one wants you to send anyone money. Donating is entirely voluntary.
Signups have had a problem with all the spambots signing up. All new accounts require Administrator approval, and with the number of accounts created every day, notices might not be sent out to everyone. I'd suggest contacting Spec8472. What name are you trying with?

I will copy this into one of the threads on the forum there signups and treatment have been mentioned, and see if that might help things along.

///
Weresmilodon (moderator)
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Weresmilodon wrote:Seems there are problems with the signups that irritate some people. This message popped up in the yahoo group a couple of days ago, though I just received it. (Yahoo seems to still have that distinctive service...)

To Whomever it may concern,

I have been trying to register on the sennadar website. This has been going on since May 5th. There has been no kind of email helping me login. There is no way on the website to contact an administrator because you have to LOGIN! There is no way to email anyone. There is no way to contact the author. I don't understand this, you want people to send you money, you want to have people to read your stories, but you make it so no one, and I mean NO ONE can get in touch with your website in order to let you know that there are problems with registering. I would at least appreciate some kind of explanation as to why. You should at least make it possible to contact an administrator on your website!

I hope to here from you soon,

My reply;

First of all, no one wants you to send anyone money. Donating is entirely voluntary.
Signups have had a problem with all the spambots signing up. All new accounts require Administrator approval, and with the number of accounts created every day, notices might not be sent out to everyone. I'd suggest contacting Spec8472. What name are you trying with?

I will copy this into one of the threads on the forum there signups and treatment have been mentioned, and see if that might help things along.

///
Weresmilodon (moderator)
And the kicker is..........You don't have to register to read the stories :roll:
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

The forums send an email when you register an account, that had a link to a forum thread describing how to activate new accounts.
Seems that thread got deleted at some point - not sure why/when that happened.

Phantom sent me an email with the person's email and forum account details -- I hadn't seen any emails from them, so not sure if they tried replying to the forum registration email (which should come to me, although it might get eaten by spam filters).