Wizard Magic on and off Sennadar

The_Namer
Initiate

Wizard Magic on and off Sennadar

Post by The_Namer »

Why is Wizard magic dependent on the Weave on Sennadar? It seems to function fine on Pyrosia without a Weave to carry it, as well as in the Astral and the other planes, but on Sennadar it needs the Goddess to channel it. Also, can it be used to heal, and if not, why? Finally, I know that Wizards can only remember spells for a certain amount of time, but is there a limit to the number of spells they can have memorized?
Here lies an atheist: All dressed up and nowhere to go.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Wizard Magic on and off Sennadar

Post by Lochar »

As to why it is required to use the Weave in Sennadar, that is how all magic works there.  The system of magic in Sennadar requires the use of the Weave.  In other realms, the rules of magic are different and Wizard magic conforms to those rules.

Wizardy cannot heal as far as I know, but Necromancy may be able to be used to indirectly heal someone by transfering their wounds to another person.  As it would probably hurt the other person more than the first is, it would be a negative spell and thus a Necro spell instead of a Wizard spell.

Wizards as far as I know can memorize as many spells as they are able to understand, but I don't see much use in this, as by the time someone like Phandebrass finished going through his spellbooks memorizing them all he'd have forgotten the first ones.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
DaBear
Talent

Post by DaBear »

Since they could not cast wizard spells in the magically dead area before getting to the Island where the Firestaff was kept I believe that Wizard magic uses the Weave as its conduits in this particular reality/universe/world and that due to the fact that its source is otherworldly allows it to use whatevers available for its means of implementation.

As to healing, Wizardry seems to me to be the most diverse of the magic types so I think that there may be healing spells but that they would need to have a very high understanding of the things involved... i.e. biology, anatomy, chemistry and so on. If the user can understand those things they may be able to cast healing spells, wizardry seems to be limited by knowledge and imagination.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Thats actually a very interesting Idea. If you could get a great wizard like Phalabrass(spelling?) to work through the Ministry of Science the Wukini have, you could advance Wizard Magic tremendiously. Think what somebody who has done a degree in Biology, chemistry or suc hcould do if they became a seriouse student of Magic.

I wonder if he has ever gone to the ministry of science, if he wants to learn so much he could really help, he is incredibly inteligent, if a bit (well a lot) absent minded
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

dabear wrote:As to healing, Wizardry seems to me to be the most diverse of the magic types so I think that there may be healing spells...
Perhaps why it wizard healing spells haven't been mentioned as they complex/easier and more reliable to go to the more obvious healing magic orders.
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Dash
Sorcerer

Post by Dash »

I think that healing might be like other magical universes. Wizards have to create potions :) Then you get healing potions.