Happy New Year

Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Happy New Year

Post by Mizriath »

2008 is getting to a close where I am. So I take this opportunity to wish Fel and all readers... not forgetting Spec ... a Happy and Wonderous 2009, A New Year filled with joy. :) :D
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Happy New Year

Post by Spec8472 »

Mizriath wrote:2008 is getting to a close where I am. So I take this opportunity to wish Fel and all readers... not forgetting Spec ... a Happy and Wonderous 2009, A New Year filled with joy. :) :D
It's even closer here - we've had the 9PM Fireworks already, and I'm now getting ready for the headache inducing midnight display:
Approximately 11,000 shells, 10,000 shooting comets, and a total of 100,000 individual
pyrotechnic effects altogether weighing 5000kg will be incorporated into the display.
Given where I live, I can hear all of these going off around me.
Mysterious
Sorcerer

Post by Mysterious »

Happy New Year!

It's 2009 right now in Sydney :D

Mysterious
You're not FAT... You're just horizontally gifted :)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Mysterious wrote:Happy New Year!

It's 2009 right now in Sydney :D

Mysterious

Yeah, and it sounds like full scale warfare out on the harbour. 12 minutes to set off 5,000 KG of fireworks.
Omegano
Initiate

Post by Omegano »

Well, a Happy New Year to you Aussies, and to everyone else!
Spec8472 wrote:12 minutes to set off 5,000 KG of fireworks.
:shock:
And how long did they take to set that up? A month? They must have set up a good size quarantine zone, because that much explosives can easily take a small chunk out of the city... And a warzone, eh? Sounds like it would be a awesome display! It's going to be probably in the lower 20s, or below 0 for you Celsius types, and no way I'm going out to go watch some display when I can see it on a TV from the comfort of my living room. Especially with surround sound!

Anyway, Happy New Years to all!

T - 15:22 AND COUNTING

Omegano
Go ahead. Ask me any question, but if it needs logic or intelligence, you will want to ask that brain thingie that lives in in my head instead.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Omegano wrote:And how long did they take to set that up? A month? They must have set up a good size quarantine zone, because that much explosives can easily take a small chunk out of the city... And a warzone, eh? Sounds like it would be a awesome display! It's going to be probably in the lower 20s, or below 0 for you Celsius types, and no way I'm going out to go watch some display when I can see it on a TV from the comfort of my living room. Especially with surround sound!
Apparrently each year's display takes 15 months to prepare, and about three months to actually assemble the more complex bits (on the bridge, for instance). It's spread out over seven barges in the harbour, and seven on rooftops of some city buildings, plus the Sydney Harbour Bridge itself has 112 launching points.

It's now incredibly busy outside my place while the 1.5 million + people who came to watch go home.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

I'm thinking about venturing out into London tonight to see the fireworks, it would be sad to miss seeing as I'm not likely to be in London next new year, but I know it's going to be below zero and VERY crowded.
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Spec8472 wrote:
Omegano wrote:And how long did they take to set that up? A month? They must have set up a good size quarantine zone, because that much explosives can easily take a small chunk out of the city... And a warzone, eh? Sounds like it would be a awesome display! It's going to be probably in the lower 20s, or below 0 for you Celsius types, and no way I'm going out to go watch some display when I can see it on a TV from the comfort of my living room. Especially with surround sound!
Apparrently each year's display takes 15 months to prepare, and about three months to actually assemble the more complex bits (on the bridge, for instance). It's spread out over seven barges in the harbour, and seven on rooftops of some city buildings, plus the Sydney Harbour Bridge itself has 112 launching points.

It's now incredibly busy outside my place while the 1.5 million + people who came to watch go home.
Having set off 2 kg of powder in a cannon which was heard 20 miles away, I'm impressed.

The real problem is not setting it up - its taking it down with a number of shells/mortars which have not gone off for whatever reason.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
Hawkeye
Initiate

Post by Hawkeye »

I wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009!!!

Hawkeye
Olli
Novice

Post by Olli »

A very happy new year to you all and only three years and change until the mayan calendar changes. 2012 here we come (slowly)! :D
Sancria
Da'Shar

Post by Sancria »

It's now just 13 hours or so from New Years Day for myself, as I live in the West Coast of Canada. I'm looking forward to the nights revels, however I must first survive a 14 hour day working in a restaurant.

Now that being said, I think I'll try and get to sydney someday for the celebrations after hearing about the 15,000 kg of pyrotechnic explosives :)

Where I am it's minus 35 degrees (C or F, doesn't matter) and tis freaking COLD so no firework for us :)

Have a safe holiday everyone, the last thing anyone wants to hear is how you'll never enjoy another holiday cause you didn't plan how to get home safely. Please PLEASE don't get stupid just cause it's "allowable."
I'd gladly travel back in time, except I would have to wait longer for the next chapter of Fel's work...sorry, pass.
Gabriel
Sorcerer

Post by Gabriel »

Happy New Year everyone, thank you Fel as well as the admins for making 2008 a good year for me.

Hope to have more good times in 2009.

Gabriel
Drivr
Novice

Post by Drivr »

And just because I am still up Happy 2009 peeps
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

with the sounds of fireworks outside. in the freeeezing NYC air happy and healthy one to one and all!
Cougar2k2
Sui'Kun

Post by Cougar2k2 »

YAY!!!!!!!! Happy New Year to everyone on the forum.
"I can control my destiny, but not my fate. Destiny means there are opportunities to turn right or left, but fate is a one-way street. I believe we all have the choice as to whether we fulfil our destiny, but our fate is sealed."
--Paulo Coelho