Firefox 64 Bit?

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Firefox 64 Bit?

Post by Hearly »

I've tried finding an Official Release of it, but all I seem to be finding are versions which don't seem to be "official" does anyone have any clue if there is an official version?

Thanks
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Firefox 64 Bit?

Post by Spec8472 »

No, there's not.

Pretty simple reason, really - there's no practical need for it.

There's only very specific scenarios that I could see needing it - mostly to do with if your OS can't run 32bit apps, or if you're trying to do something silly with Javascript or similar that would probably be better done outside of a browser.

On Windows, wow64 takes care of 32bit apps, including firefox, just fine.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Spec8472 wrote:No, there's not.

Pretty simple reason, really - there's no practical need for it.

There's only very specific scenarios that I could see needing it - mostly to do with if your OS can't run 32bit apps, or if you're trying to do something silly with Javascript or similar that would probably be better done outside of a browser.

On Windows, wow64 takes care of 32bit apps, including firefox, just fine.
Ya, I'm running the 32 bit version on my 64bit OS, and it is running fine, I haven't run into any problems with it, I just didn't know if there was a 64 bit official version on not.
andy_t_roo
Sorcerer

Post by andy_t_roo »

I run 64bit gentoo (a source based Linux variant) on my home computer - there's both binary and source versions of 64bit available in the offical repository, and they work, including flash and java.