So, I go to pay my property taxes today...

Fel
Weavespinner

So, I go to pay my property taxes today...

Post by Fel »

and I see "Early Voting" signs up in the hallway of the courthouse.

I decide "what the hell, I have stuff to do on Election day anyway," and I go vote.

Wow.

The room where they were doing early voting was PACKED. I had to wait nearly an hour to get my turn. While waiting, I got into a conversation with a poll worker and one of the county clerks, who tell me that they'd had 3,000 people vote early since it opened yesterday (Monday), and that my county had had 6,000 new voter registrations for the election.

Wow. Double wow.

Mind that there are only like 20,000 in my county. That's like 28-ish% of the population of the county that decided to get off its ass and register to vote, and the clerk confided in me that most of them were young voters. This is actually all it could be, since most middle-age/older residents of my county are already registered.

Methinks that this election cycle will be very, very interesting....
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: So, I go to pay my property taxes today...

Post by Phantom »

Fel wrote:and I see "Early Voting" signs up in the hallway of the courthouse.

I decide "what the hell, I have stuff to do on Election day anyway," and I go vote.

Wow.

The room where they were doing early voting was PACKED. I had to wait nearly an hour to get my turn. While waiting, I got into a conversation with a poll worker and one of the county clerks, who tell me that they'd had 3,000 people vote early since it opened yesterday (Monday), and that my county had had 6,000 new voter registrations for the election.

Wow. Double wow.

Mind that there are only like 20,000 in my county. That's like 28-ish% of the population of the county that decided to get off its ass and register to vote, and the clerk confided in me that most of them were young voters. This is actually all it could be, since most middle-age/older residents of my county are already registered.

Methinks that this election cycle will be very, very interesting....
From watching the News it's about the Same here .....lots and lots of Early voters turning out ...

Lot's of new voter registrations up till the last day they allowed them.

Also they are allready planing on Extra Polling Place Volenteers and lots of Extra voting booths

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Was it an electronic, or paper ballot that you registered your vote on?
Gabriel
Sorcerer

Post by Gabriel »

I must say, is there really suddenly such a big interest by the youth to be heard?

I guess most of the time the impression I get was that they are not that interested in politics.

hmmm..... it is going to be a really interesting to see this coming november.
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

I don't know about any of the other youth out there but I'm sick to death of the dam baby boomers (my parents included) running this country. Their ideas are old, there understanding of what technology can do is old. They need to have the country taken away from them so they can play golf, bocci ball, tennis, or what ever lame past time they have discovered in their retirement. They no longer contribute to society, they just sit there and suck money out of their retierment funds and do anything to maintain the status quo.

This is just my opinion and it is most likly horribly biased by my lazy ass parents and their lazy ass retirement community friends.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Spec8472 wrote:Was it an electronic, or paper ballot that you registered your vote on?
My county uses touch screen machines with a paper record, so there's a paper trail.

Best of both worlds IMO, both speed and a hard record.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Isengrim
Initiate

Post by Isengrim »

Well, Gabriel, there isn't really a big interest in hearing from the youth, and the youth more or less return that sentiment. One of the things that is different this year is that Barack Obama decided to try to increase the turnout of the youth, while encouraging them to vote for him. It worked in the Democratic primaries, so now talking heads are talking about the youth turnout and whether it will be disappointing for Obama.

As for the Baby Boomers... I'm glad that generation is rapidly reaching retirement age. They've been heavily influential since they joined the civil rights movement. Now it is time for a new generation to shape policy... so that policy won't be about the g*d damn 60s and 70s any more.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Early voting sounds like a good idea as long as we can prevent any "Chicago" style voting. For those not up on those term "Chicago" style voting is expressed by the terms "Vote early and vote often" and "Jeez look Garfield the cat is a cook county registered voter"
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment