Tech people, answer this question:

Fel
Weavespinner

Tech people, answer this question:

Post by Fel »

Ok, answer this question.

I'm running a dual core system.

Now, when I click on control panel, and select system, it should return the clock speed of each cpu in my dual core, correct?

I'm asking this because my system is acting sluggish, and when I checked the system, it reads dual core, 3.2ghz, 1.6ghz.

This system is supposed to be dual core 3.2ghz.

Now, if this is indeed the case, that one of my cores is running at half speed:

Is this something I can fix in BIOS? If so, how?

Or is this something requiring a jumper pin/some kind of hardware setting?
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
cdhaag
Novice

Re: Tech people, answer this question:

Post by cdhaag »

Not exactly. What it indicates is you have a CPU capable of running at 3.2GHz., but is currently running at 1.6GHz. That being said you should be able to correct the issue in your BIOS.

Chris
Omegano
Initiate

Post by Omegano »

Unless you have a faulty CPU, it's something in the BIOS. If you can tell us what motherboard you have, we can probably tell you where to look to find & fix the problem. I can just go and download the manual, and could then point you to the problem. If the manual is decent, at least.

Omegano
Go ahead. Ask me any question, but if it needs logic or intelligence, you will want to ask that brain thingie that lives in in my head instead.
storyreader2005
Sorcerer

Post by storyreader2005 »

If it's an AMD dual core processor you might need a driver:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 82,00.html

(I know "Driver for a PROCESSOR?!?" but it's true... I think that windows/microsoft update offers it on the "hardware" update tab.)
Trekkie
Initiate

Post by Trekkie »

storyreader2005 wrote:If it's an AMD dual core processor you might need a driver:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 82,00.html

(I know "Driver for a PROCESSOR?!?" but it's true... I think that windows/microsoft update offers it on the "hardware" update tab.)
no, its an Intel
Sage4Eros
Initiate

Post by Sage4Eros »

I am a computer tech of 10years, mainly fixing and building home PCs. I have the following suggestions.

1. Be sure you have a good Anti-Virus program installed. I recommend Avast Home (free).
http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
Avast Home is free with registration. I register w/ a hotmail account so it gets spammed rather than my main email account.

2. Be sure you have a good Anti-Spyware program installed. I recommend Spybot (free).
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Be sure to run it and do the immunizations to help block attacks.
I don’t run the TeaTimer portion or the Homepage monitor parts; they just eat up ram when I am clean.

(I recommend a thorough scan of each once a month; just start the scan before you head out for a few hours)

3. PC Wizard 2008 (free) will allow you to answer questions people ask you about your hardware.
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

PC Wizard 2008 can monitor CPU usage and run general benchmarks.
To post your hardware configuration here do the following
A: Install PC Wizard 2008 and run it.
B: Click on the System Summary icon under Hardware (looks like a computer & monitor). You will then see the summary in the right window.
C: Put your cursor on the Mainboard line in the right window and click the right mouse button and choose Select All
All lines of text should turn blue.
D: Right click on the Mainboard line in the right window again and choose Copy.
E: You can now paste the entire system summary into a text file or a Post on this site so we can better help you.

Here is what my System Summary looks like using PC Wizard:
Mainboard : Asus P5ND2-SLI
Chipset : nVidia nForce4 SLI Intel Edition
Processor : Intel Pentium XE 830 @ 3000 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 7800 GT
Hard Disk : NVIDIA (500 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : AOPEN DUW1616/ARR
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL 1905FP - 19 inches
Monitor Type : Planar PL1700 - 17 inches
Network Card : Ralink Technology Corp Ralink RT2500 802.11 CardBus Reference Card
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2007)

Note: it IS possible for some of the newer CPUs to clock down to half speed during low usage to save on the electricity usage and to lower the CPU temperature. Slowdowns don’t have to be because of CPU usage, an example is when you are low on RAM (or your RAM is eaten up by a virus).
Zor
Initiate

Post by Zor »

It is vary odd for a modern day computer not detect the correct processor speed.

Most often it is caused by a defective board or the need for a bios upgrade.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:I'm asking this because my system is acting sluggish, and when I checked the system, it reads dual core, 3.2ghz, 1.6ghz.
Why it's acting sluggish, I can't answer without more detail - but if you're running Intel Core2Duo CPU, make sure that the power profile is set to high performance - it stops the CPU from dipping to a lower clockspeed when CPU activity is under a certain percentage.

And whilst it's technically possible to shut down one core, I've never actually heard of anyone forcing this to happen.

The other alternative is that the CPU is just clocked at a lower speed.

Check out CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php - It'll tell you what the current multiplier, bus speed, etc ratings are - just take a screenshot and pop it in here and we'll take it apart.
Drivr
Novice

Post by Drivr »

Intel's speedstep utility will also monitor usage and control CPU speed as needed If it is installed. Thanks for the link to the CPU utility!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Turns out, my bios was underclocking the CPU on purpose. It's fixed now.
Trekkie
Initiate

Post by Trekkie »

Fel wrote:Turns out, my bios was underclocking the CPU on purpose. It's fixed now.
Heh, see, I knew it.
Sage4Eros
Initiate

Post by Sage4Eros »

FYI: CPU-Z are made by the same people who make PC Wizard 2008. Practically all the info you can see in CPU-Z, you can also see in PC Wizard (which makes sense), plus you can see a LOT more stuff with PC Wizard.

While it is true that CPU-Z is a standalone utility, a compete install of PC Wizard is only about 3Meg AND you can then just copy the PC Wizard folder from the Program Files folder to anywhere and run it without having to re-install. I have the folder copied to a USB thumb drive w/ a lot of other utilities that I use to test people's machines.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

CPU-Z was what Trekkie had me download as he helped me research my underclock issue. I rather liked it. It was very useful.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Less worring about clock speed more writing, it doesn't need to be that fast to use word chop chop.

Just kidding :lol:
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Sage4Eros
Initiate

Post by Sage4Eros »

CPU-Z was what Trekkie had me download as he helped me research my underclock issue. I rather liked it. It was very useful.
Don't get me wrong, CPU-Z is a great utility & I've been using it for years. I was only saying that I like their new PC Wizard 2008 product more. Maybe because the "new" hasn't worn off of using it yet, since I only found out about PC Wizard a few months ago when I logged on to http://www.cpuid.com to see if there was a new version of CPU-Z.

CPU-Z focuses mainly on CPU info, with some minor supplemental info on MBs & Ram. Since your problem actually turned out to be CPU related it worked out perfect for you and was actually better for you than PC Wizard. PC Wizard has all the features of CPU-z, but the CPU info is harder to get to, rather than in your face. If your problem had turned out NOT to be CPU related, then CPU-Z would have done you little good but PC Wizard could have likely helped diagnose it. I highly recommend all of the utilities from from http://www.cpuid.com for a computer technician or hobbyist.

Anyway, I am glad that your system was fixed.
(But I am bitter that I missed out on the brownie points for being the one to actually help you like Trekkie did! Curse you Trekkie! He should have been thanking ME, ME I tell you!)