Fox and the hawk, chapter 3

Caution: Spoilers!
Discussion about other works of James Galloway (Dragonstar, Alpha Project, The Fox and the Hawk, and others)

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
SYED
Child of Niami

Fox and the hawk, chapter 3

Post by SYED »

SO getting the material needed to build his domain. Fox will need to build his home, a port, as well as defences. WIll he also build some farms and a couple of town. Hire from the mercenaries possibly a small group of guards or militia for defence.

THe jinn noble gave karra gold equal to fox material worth, so not just his gold but the value of his magical objects. ALso they can trade materials from hyrilian and waterdeep using the portals to help trade. Now that is a profitable shipping and trade company. IF she is such a great mage, build a portal for public use at least trading use.

now that fox has a home, he has to worry about enemies coming, so like will write an enemies list and start to trim it down. make it so it is too costly to attack.

make a deal with the mad under mountain spirit, always useful to have something like that on your side.

the city is likly to try and deal with their weakness, so guards are all booked up. how long is the space booked up. nead warehouse owned so long term idea. with his own port, need for docks and warehouses. make sure a road or canal links them both.

i found a map of faerun
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/map_image ... Faerun.jpg
waterdeep is on the left coast. fox is building near dagger ford right, if he builds near the river, he get river trade as well from the greyflow river.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/D ... ear_Castle
http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms ... nspear.jpg

according to wiki, dragon spear is no where near the coast, anf is 200 miles to the south of daggerford. on the trade way.

nearest ruins to raid.
undermountain, warlock's crypt, crypt of the six, ss'khanaja, thardresk crypt. high moor, serpent hills, forest of wyms,

if crooks use the undermountain as a base, will fox crook help gain control over it. the bridge is being run by two adventurers, could fox leverage a piece of the prize, if he offers his workers to build a proper bridge, fort and settlement.

make an alliance with larloch of the warlock crypt, both have enemies with the red wizards. this lich is concerned with research and study, having the best adventurer around collect needed ,aterials would be useful. wish list: Crown of Horns last seen in skullsport, Scepter of the Sorcerer-King last seen in sembia used by enemies of the red wizards, and the Nether Scrolls, in the windsong tower with a sleeping guardian.
however, it is also said he secretly rules the red wizards, throuch their zahir of necromancy.

the manor is also near a bunch of trolls, who are harmed only by fire and acid, so his sword would be perfect, and his dragon really useful.

the manor has an enterance to the underdark, so a place to adventure and allow for trading with the those below using his shady associates.
Halaster dies in 1375, would he make fox his heir as he defeated him, and understands his humor in his dungeon.
What is the date as in 1375 water deep attacks dragonspear. it is widly known that they wanted the keep rebuit to deal with monsters.

THere all these ruins in monster lands right, what if fox goes in and robbs them, then builds it into a secure settlement, be interesting hobby.
SO hammer hall and Orogoth on the high moor. Rhymanthiin, is a great nearby city, full of magic and knowledge, nearby ally, they could be an easy link to the hyrilan mages for them. Kheldrivver in the troll hills would be a great place as it use to be a monastary. the warlock crypt is just a place when a necromancer studies magic.

http://home.online.no/~o-bergs/
link to better maps, and has castle marked on it.
known as rhe western heart lands.
seeing as he is now making a permanent home, he will be carefull to completly eliminate monsters and threats. so for the next century, he will tame the wilderness near by, destroy the monsters, claim the treasures, then build or rebuild settlement and ruin.

biggest threat is larloch the lich, while he mainly just researches, it is said he secretly controls the wizards of thay. also will fox be able to resist from checking his towers out. when dealing with ruins, raly do they have such a large force, fox could potentially push the monsters far away. there is a secret library city and a lich obseesed with knowledge, any way fox can use that.
will he claim that bridge, be very valuable in the long run.
.S.A.M.K.M
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Fox and the hawk, chapter 3

Post by michaelsuave »

Spoiler
Show
I know I've seen it some where, but I know Fel has posted additional chapters to this story somewhere on here. Now I see that chapter three is definitely more filled out than earlier ideas, but I know I saw a chapter where Fox talks to a pack of gnolls and makes agreements with monsters to not attack the merchants on his lands. Also I remember the castle being worked on and the Red Wizards, and waterdeep marching with armies to take out Fox.
What ever happened to those chapters?
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

They weren't chapters, I was describing some of the future events on these forums when I shelved the story in favor of Subjugation.

Those things will eventually happen...sorta. Fox strikes a deal with an orc tribe in the moor to keep the other monsters away from the castle he's building, as well as a deal with a very young red dragon lairing out in the moor. The Red Wizards also come after him, as well as the Zhentarim, the Cult of the Dragon, Amn, Calimsham, Luskan, Baldur's Gate, and Waterdeep. Not all at the same time, but he has to confront all of them at one time or another. He has problems with Waterdeep and the western cities as his existence on the trade route back to Westgate starts to disrupt the balance of power in the North. The eastern groups just want him dead for his past shenanigans, especially the Red Wizards.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Why would merchants not want fox there, he makes the route safer for traders so what is the issue.

The first three are lily for villans as they are bad guys, that fox likly hurt.

but while fox threatens profits he secures trading, infact with him a lord over an enterance to the under dark, new avenue of trade.

while everything is being built, he is likly to start general clean up. if fox every tries this again, the workers would love too, a safe well paying project. could possibly convince the mercenaries to form a company. if he builds up the local bridge another advantage.

the only way would be his portal through his wife's tower, that is a huge trading advantage. so reason to anger the trading towns. if ships can drop material at harulaa, and send it to the west, then they could make a fortune.

If he gains access to the undermountain via the underdark, could use those portals as well. portal are the ultimate trading advantage in faerun. Skullport is part of the underdark, so key trading advantage there. if fox allows the evil races to openly trade, would be somthing unique. i think they would be linked to the north dark..

As an adventurer, fox has likly visited each dungeon, according to the wiki there are 8. dugeon, possibly aquire other fallen towers. possibly other ruins.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Dungeons

There are four ruins on the high moor, that fox should invest in, be good to fortify and use later.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/C ... _High_Moor

really detailed map of the waterdeep area, i think dragon spear castle is stilll to the south.
http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms ... st_map.jpg

another cool map or territtory to the north of the castle as well as others
http://www.mythopoeicpress.com/fr_weste ... tlands.jpg
http://www.mythopoeicpress.com/fr_faerun_overview.jpg
http://www.mythopoeicpress.com/fr_faeru ... ources.jpg
http://www.mythopoeicpress.com/fr_faeru ... daries.jpg
.S.A.M.K.M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

It's not the merchants that don't want him there, it's the rulers of the major cities in the North, Baldur's Gate, and Amn.

Sure, he makes the passage from Westgate to Waterdeep much safer, but the problem is, Karra starts dabbling in politics, and she's FAR more ambitious than he is. Fox, like he really cares about politics, but Karra is an entirely different story. Within months of them getting the castle built enough to defend their holding, she starts pissing off just about everyone within ten days' ride in every direction. Karra also makes sure that they claim a lot more land than just about anyone wants to see.

The major issue that comes up is the forest near the coast. The shipbuilder of Orlumbar have been harvesting the wood for ships, and among their customers are...you guessed it, Waterdeep. When Fox and Karra lay claim to the forest, it causes a lot of friction up and down the Sword Coast.

Another issue that pops up is that Fox's Mirabar-sent prospectors find sizable deposits of silver and mithril in the Troll Hills, which he has claimed as part of his holding.

There's also a matter of, ah, Fox and Karra's choice of friends. When word gets out that he has an orc tribe and a juvinile red dragon working for him, he doesn't make very many friends. Then there's Zarra Khan, who makes very public visits to Dragonspear, and when Karra brings her apprentices to Dragonspear, among which are a drow and a gnoll, prejudices start to run wild.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

Sounds like this is gonna get good fast!

-DM
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

So you say that Karra pisses off people fast. Besides getting fox to snatch up land quickly, how do you expect her to do that? I understand the prejudice thing, but if its not on their land then I don't understand the problem... that is unless they start inviting drow raiding parties to stop by to purchase supplies. I could see that pissing off everybody and their mother. In an earlier chapter you mention that Karra's people are not messed with and are treated well because they are so powerful in magic, is she going to start bringing in some friends to create Dragonsspear into a powerhouse?

Anyway, those are my questions for now...

The only other thing I have to ask is, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!? :roll:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

WOnt larloch the lich warlock, argue about who owns the mines of the trolls hills. He is how ever more interestede in research, if fox helps him out in his research and helps him to gain access to the halruaa magic, then Larloch would love for him to be the local lord.

WIth karra an earth archemage, why not claim all the land, at the coast, from the river delimbiyr to the winding water, and at the east the marsh of chelimber. THere are only a limited places where forces could cross the water, so easy to fortify.

WIth the Zhentarim already an enemy, why not take command of loud water and llorkh, so to cut their black road trade route from the westen cities.

SO in hopeful territory:
Lizard marsh, Troll hills, trollbark forest, misty forest, the high moor, Boareskyr bridge, serpent hills, marsh of celimber and highstar lake.
THe marsh has the onyx tower, so rebuild as position of strength and outpost.
WIll have to deal with the green dragon of the misty forest, ■Mornauguth. SHe was human but now cursed.
THe serpent hills are part of najara, an unrecognised kingdom, what is fox feelings about snakes.
THe brige is poorly guarded by paladins.
Hammer hall is a good out post for highstar lake, while Orogoth is a good outpost for the serpent hills and help trading to Ss’Khanaja and the underdark. Rhymanthiin would increase his standing if it was his ally, linking larloch and halruaa to it.
Secomber and daggerford should be considered place to convince to join as trading towns are always useful.

SO fox has a castle, where will he get people to live on his land and work the mine. WOnt he need an army to hold his territory. How can he stop the lumber jacks getting to the wood.

Set has a portal to the abyss, a snake god is held prisiner there by evil gods, his followers have a nation nearby.

There are plenty of ruins and caves and tomb to rebuild and renovate in to settlements for all races, even snake kind. secure enterances to abyss and the underdark. plenty of treasure hunts to occupy fox, so pay for building. give mercs and builders option to stay and keep doing what they were doing, guarding and building.

THere is an old monastery in the area, will the monks go there.
.S.A.M.K.M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

michaelsuave wrote:So you say that Karra pisses off people fast. Besides getting fox to snatch up land quickly, how do you expect her to do that? I understand the prejudice thing, but if its not on their land then I don't understand the problem... that is unless they start inviting drow raiding parties to stop by to purchase supplies. I could see that pissing off everybody and their mother. In an earlier chapter you mention that Karra's people are not messed with and are treated well because they are so powerful in magic, is she going to start bringing in some friends to create Dragonsspear into a powerhouse?

Anyway, those are my questions for now...

The only other thing I have to ask is, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!? :roll:
It's very easy to piss people off in a political sense, especially when some of them are already pre-disposed to not liking you (or your husband) in the first place.

Karra's dabbling in politics means that she makes a few deals that angers one side or another, mainly Waterdeep and Amn, their closer neighbors. Karra's the one that handles the Orlumbar situation, and that's more or less what starts everything. You'd be pissed off too if the people who build your boats start charging you almost 50% more, because someone else has come along and taken over the raw materials they use in the construction and now the shipbuilders have to BUY it.
firedrake3
Katzh-dashi

Post by firedrake3 »

michaelsuave wrote:The only other thing I have to ask is, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!? :roll:
Yes. Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! :mrgreen:
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

firedrake3 wrote:
michaelsuave wrote:The only other thing I have to ask is, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!? :roll:
Yes. Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! :mrgreen:
Bwa ha ha ha ha! We've added another to our evil gang of update stalkers... Excellent... :evil:
Fel wrote: It's very easy to piss people off in a political sense, especially when some of them are already pre-disposed to not liking you (or your husband) in the first place.

Karra's dabbling in politics means that she makes a few deals that angers one side or another, mainly Waterdeep and Amn, their closer neighbors. Karra's the one that handles the Orlumbar situation, and that's more or less what starts everything. You'd be pissed off too if the people who build your boats start charging you almost 50% more, because someone else has come along and taken over the raw materials they use in the construction and now the shipbuilders have to BUY it.
Ok, makes sense, though I understand that competition breeds contempt or aggression, just didn't know if it was something more like her opening a portal trade route with the magical kingdom she originally comes from? You know, what with the rare ores and resources that are accessible in the north. There probably hasn't been a time when one of Karra's ilk had the ability to set up a stable and secure trade route from the north directly to their tropical southern kingdom. If you want to piss off the local kingdoms, not only threaten their trade, but take away their ability to even get a tariff on merchants transporting goods through their kingdom. Every merchant around would probably want to use it to ship their goods to the south where they would probably garner more money. Supply and demand, sell where its rarer. Alright, that started off as some questions and became more of a story idea.

Oh, by the way Fel, I'm going to officially state that I'm not going to spam the "Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! any more. Since I've been writing online for the last year, I now understand how frustrating it can get to be pushed by readers to post more quickly than you can. That said, its also nice to know people are jonesing for an update. Anyway, any more spoilers you want to send our way, fire when ready capt'n!

michaelsuave

SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

What do you consider 10 days ride, because the fox is very fast. Trollbark forest is half a day ride. SO ten day ride would be alot. So from the northan coast: Ardeep forest, star mounts, graypeak mountains, marsh of chelimber, treilta hillsand the troll hilss and claws.

Halruua also are famed for their sky ships, will their keep become a port for them.

DO you have a date for when this is happening. i think i figured out below.

Due to najarra, the claimed lands need to be smaller.
CLaim, from the south to the north:
THe troll claws and its ford, Troll Hills, Trollbark FOrest, Boareskyr Bridge, The HIgh Moor, misty forest, lizard marsh southwood forest and highstar lake.
Existing settlements that should be coopted, or rebuilt:
DAggerford, Laughing Hollow, Secomber, Zelbross, Loudwater, llorkh, orlbar, Hammer Hall, Halls of the hammer, Kheldriver, Orogath and dungeon of the hark.

Officially, on maps the following are part of unclaimed territory on maps. THe High Moor, serpent Hills, Marsh of chelimber, Hill of lost souls, Skull Gorge, Battle of Bones and the well of dragons. this is the map i used. http://www.mythopoeicpress.com/fr_faeru ... daries.jpg. Officially, the sword coast and western heartlands are city states not united, so if fox claims it he might be able to hold it if planned carefully. He has a whole army and an entire city worth of builders, so castle could be quickly rebuilt so try to rebuild more.

If he controls the direct river crossings can claim plenty of space, can expand later. WHy not allow open immigration for people from the east, so fox brings them in.

If he seizes the northern settlement, will realy annoy the Zhentarim, also cut into their trading and influence. orlbar not yet conquered.

Could negotiate with the nation of najarra to allow the lizardmen to settle in lizard marsh. The najarra are still hidden.

Evereska has an elf gate to evermeet and silvery moon, so potential trading partner.

If all enterances to the underdark were secured be safer and useful.

If he controls the settlements on river delimbyr and greyflow, he controls that river and gets access to rujins and settlement thet are allong them.

can karra arrange to how more portals made, enough to link what settlements they claim. SHe is a mistress of the academy, what if she starts her own school in the north.
EVereska
Import(s) Metal ore
Export(s) Paintings, statues, wine, wood carvings
Halruua
Import(s) Exotic magical items, precious metals
Export(s) Electrum, Haerlu wine
Waterdeep
Import(s) Grain, livestock, leather, ore, timber, and exotic goods from other lands
Export(s) Ale, arms, cloth, furnishings, leather goods, pottery, refined metals, and all other sorts of finished goods
SIlver marches
Import(s) Armor, books, manufactured goods, pottery, spices, wine
Export(s) Elven craftwork, furs, heroes, precious metals; formerly dwarven craftwork

it is known for certain that Piergeiron was open lord from 1314 -1374, for certain so best bet story is during or close to tis period. the yawning portal was built in 1306, after fox was there. SO this is set before 1366. Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun died in 1374, building Rhymanthiin in the high moor, will fox help the rebuilding seeing as he is so close by. ALso he retired from lord ship in 1367. So the story must be in the this period 1366-1368, if allowances for time discrepencies.

If the monks move in to the old monastary, in the troll hills. i found this on wiki.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Psionics
"While psionic organizations are uncommons in Faerûn, a few do exist:
■The Kaliesh'erai: an association of elves based in Evereska[1]
■Stray Thoughts: an adventuring company based in Sembia and lead by the human wilder Jacenelle Traen
■Forak-Erach-Naek: a group of duergar soulknife/assassins based in the Underdark
■The College of the Eclipse: a society dedicated to the advancement of psionic abilities based in Riatavin in Tethyr[2]
■The Hall of Mental Splendor: a group of psionic mercenary spies based in Skullport and lead by the human psion Vhondryl[3] "

Waterdeep is the biggest city of the west, if halruua get a short cut, game changer.
.S.A.M.K.M
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Very nice write up syed, that's a lot of details to think over and draft up. This helped me understand the world that Fel is writing in a lot more than I had pictured in my head. Cheers!

Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Fox isnt' going to claim quite that much.

As you mentioned, the North is a series of city-states. The main reason is because there's a LOT of roaming monsters/sylvan denizens/goblinoids filling up the spaces between those cities that makes trying to claim actual territory very risky. Even the territory that the cities claim isn't really "owned" by the claimer outside of the roads, since that's all they'll risk patrolling with their forces.

Fox claims an area around Dragonspear roughly trapezoidal in shape, with the wide end being to the east. It covers the entire High Moor and all the way out to the coast to claim the forest west of the castle, where there's a shallow bay where the Orlumbars have been mooring their ships to harvest the lumber, but Karra intends to turn into a port outpost to support Dragonspear; one of Karra's first major projects even over building the new castle is to get a road from the ruins of Dragonspear to the coast as fast as possible.

Karra also intends to bring in a stable of hippogryphs for aerial reconnaisance and rapid response, buying them from one of the noble families of Waterdeep that breeds them. As you mentioned, the Halruuans employ flying ships, and she has too much experience with the advantages they enjoy to not exploit air power. But no, she won't get any of the Halruuan skyships. They require Halruuans to man them, and few Halruuans are willing to live anywhere other than Halruua. They're quite arrogant that way.

There's no real reason to claim any territory east of the moor, since the moor's too dangerous to try to enforce that claim. The main reason Fox is claiming the moor is to give the denizens of the area a safe place to live, a place that's THEIRS, so they're not pushed out of their territory and decide to start raiding caravans in retaliation. What Fox intends to do is to start TRADING with the orcs, kobolds, and gnolls of the High Moor (but not the goblins and hobgoblins, Fox is correct in assuming they're too dangerous to trust). That, combined with heavy patrolling of the road to Waterdeep, will keep them from trying to raid caravans. It'll be too dangerous to try, and if they need something, they can trade for it at Dragonspear rather than try to raid for it.

Outside of that, the territory Fox and Karra claims extends south enough to cover the Troll Hills and a direct line back fro the Troll Hills to the souteastern edge of the moor. North, it extends almost up to The Way Inn, near Boarskyr Bridge, in an angled line down to cover the north edge of the forest and coast. He's claimed everything between those points of interest.

Fox is careful not to claim anything someone else has already claimed, whether they actively patrol it or not, to prevent friction. Not that it really helps in the long run, though. ;)
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

So he is claiming the high moor, but letting those creatures there stay there. THe are a few location or ruins he should in vest in, as a way to secure the area and establish trading posts with the various races.

Dungeon of the Hark- lycanthropes could trade there.
Hammer Hall- allows a trading post to the orcs of southwood.
Halls of Hammers
Orzogoth- base to trade with najara
Secomber- most expeditions to the moors come through here, also gives access to the river trade, as well block Zhentarim access to the west and trade. ALso allows tade and travel options.
Kheldrivver-small monastary community just south of troll hills, possible base of operations.

trading partners
Kobald-known as miners and has divination to find ores and as followers of dragons
orc- wariors used to take out mosters and enemies
goblin
hobgoblin
gnolls- trappers and hunters
Weres and shifter-hunters and trappers
naga
luan-ti
lizard men
sharn- portal makers

MIsty forest and Southwood, could possible be claimed. Misty forest has Mornauguth, a green dragon, who was a human priestess of shar and was cursed. SOuthwood is known for goblins.

flying hippogriths allow some trading with evereska.

SInce the snake people are all for the destruction of the world, organise the various warrior races to raid in to the najara instead of attacking the trading route. SO this way, they get treasure, they get the material from caravans, yet avoiding the route.

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/under ... dermap.jpg
map of the underdark, useful for trading oportunities
.S.A.M.K.M