kit and spirit walker

Caution: Spoilers!
Discussion about other works of James Galloway (Dragonstar, Alpha Project, The Fox and the Hawk, and others)

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kal
Katzh-dashi

kit and spirit walker

Post by kal »

anybody else see a possible link between kit and spirit walker? like kit is the modern day version of spirit walker. of course somewhere along the way they would have lost the art of talking to the spirits if this were true but look at humankind. in ancient times we thought there was magic (and there very well could have been) but we either forgot about it or lost that art somehow. /discuss
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Re: kit and spirit walker

Post by afrigeek »

The problem with that view is that the spirit walker world contains both humans and arcans.. while we would have to assume that the arcans had completely eradicated the humans in order for there to be a link between Kit's world and Kyven's.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

but in kits world they did talk about an archeologist finding remains of a simian fur. this could have really been a human. and who knows if the arcans really did kill the humans. for all we know at this point is that they died out somehow. it could have been a virus that arcans are immune too.
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

by the way i just bring this up because terry brooks is making two of his major seiries come together like this. his shannara books and his knight of the word books are really going to be one series. he is going to link them together in an upcomming (i think it is anyway) book that will take place after the apocolypse in the knight of the word series
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Kit's world is based on our world, with the same cities, American football teams and even the politians having the same names, though they are furry. The Sprit Walker world is a post - human only world, with the remanents of human names for some places, like "Noram" - obviously a corruption of North America.

Usually when an author starts doing crossovers, they are desperately trying to increase sales by making readers buy the "other series". It usually fails to satisfy readers of either series, since they miss some of the cross references from the books they have not read. Think of the various comics crossovers or Heinlein's "Number of the Beast" and subsequent books - I found them generally poorer than the books which stood on their own.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

yes monk i agree with you. i just find it amusing that there are various similarities with the 2 stories is all and wanted to share my thoughts. crossing stories does usually make for some flaws in the writing but the way we all follow fel we know that anything is possible. with out him posting here there is even no way to tell for sure. i am also sure i am probably wrong as well. like i said i am just bringing up a different viewpoint to the 2 story lines and the similarities therein.
Isengrim
Initiate

Post by Isengrim »

There's a problem with spiritwalker and kit being set in the same world. Different species of arcan can't breed with each other, while in Kit's world it's not a problem for different breeds to breed with each other.

There are some parallels, but I'd put them down to Fel's unique style and distinctive mannerisms.
hoppy
Sorcerer

Post by hoppy »

Mad Monk wrote:Kit's world is based on our world, with the same cities, American football teams and even the politians having the same names, though they are furry. The Sprit Walker world is a post - human only world, with the remanents of human names for some places, like "Noram" - obviously a corruption of North America.
Yes a very long stretch made even more unlikely by the arcans attitude.
Usually when an author starts doing crossovers, they are desperately trying to increase sales by making readers buy the "other series". It usually fails to satisfy readers of either series, since they miss some of the cross references from the books they have not read. Think of the various comics crossovers or Heinlein's "Number of the Beast" and subsequent books - I found them generally poorer than the books which stood on their own.
"Number of the Beast," is a bad example, Heinlein was going down hill, running out of ideas, or he was just lazy. He was simply trying to build on his past books not get people to read them(most of his readers would already have read his previous books.) Plus it is something of a continuation of his pattern of writing, even if Reductio ad absurdum of it.
LADY MINX
Initiate

Post by LADY MINX »

Is there someone out there that can understand that, if the story want's to be told no matter the format it will out.

Creativity flows and it is bloody hard work!!!
and besides the two tale's are totaly differant from each other.
Life is a challenge ! How can you resist !
sivak
Talent

Post by sivak »

Terry Brooks has connected the two series and anyone who read both prior to the connection noticed things in common. Kit adn Spirit Wlker aren't going to merge. they could however be alternet worlds. but still didn't anyone else catch the fact that fel already wrote that the humans CREATED the arcans? Kyven was learning some history in Haven before going to Avannar and was told by the shamans who learned from the spirits that the humans created the arcans as expendable soliders for a war. READ the story again guys its all there.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell