The Fox and the Hawk, Chapter 2 - Spoilers

Caution: Spoilers!
Discussion about other works of James Galloway (Dragonstar, Alpha Project, The Fox and the Hawk, and others)

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: The Fox and the Hawk, Chapter 2 - Spoilers

Post by Mizriath »

Good Luck Fel. That reminds me I need to do my medical at the same time. The last was in 2005. And I need to get my sugar level down.. Its almost borderline diabetic. I wonder what sweets or candy taste like! Some alien must have stolen them!!!!! :D
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

ITs just great to finally meet fox. We would get hints about fox during the Tarrin and Sennadar series. I was just rereading tower of sorcery, and in chapter 12 there is a slight glitch, instead of saying tarrin, it says...

"'A predictable enemy is a defeatable one'," Fox quoted from one of his mother's many sayings

:wink:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

michaelsuave wrote:ITs just great to finally meet fox. We would get hints about fox during the Tarrin and Sennadar series. I was just rereading tower of sorcery, and in chapter 12 there is a slight glitch, instead of saying tarrin, it says...

"'A predictable enemy is a defeatable one'," Fox quoted from one of his mother's many sayings

:wink:
Heh, yah, well....

Though I'm sure people will read The Fox and the Hawk and see pieces of Tarrin, or Jason, or even many other characters, the honest truth is, Fox was the inspiration behind much of my later work.

I never so much as let my best friend read that story, nor any of my earliest works. I have an entire box full of spiral notebooks filled with stories. Fantasy, sci-fi, modern adventure, a whole box of stories that I'd begin and then lose interest in and stop writing halfway through. But I never let anyone read any of it. I was much too self-conscious to do something like that.

There were only two stories of any length I managed to finish, though I did finish many short stories. The first one I managed to finish actually wasn't this one, it was a story called The Crystal Prison. It was a "modern fantasy" I wrote when I was like 14, about a dark elf that was brought to OUR world, because she was the key that unlocked the prison of a demon king. The story was about how the magicians and psychics that are hiding in our own world battled the demons that were trying to free their master, and how Kyri matured and learned to use the power inside her, that sealed the demon king, and use it for herself. So it was something like a cross between Harry Potter and Constantine...before either of them ever came out. ;)

The second book I finished was The Fox and the Hawk. Fox is based on a real AD&D character I had, and some of the story was right out of the campaign we did. You see, MY Fox really did capture Dragonspear and rebuild it, and the #%^@#$ing evil bastard of a DM got me into a F-ing war with Amn and Waterdeep. Fox was mine, and other characters, Zarra Khan, Aeyalla, Saja, Jarax, Graal, and Jinjen were also part of that original campaign. You'll meet Graal, Jarax, and Jinjen later. Akena, Karra, the Vixens, they were dramatic license to give the story more of an actual story feel. Well, that, and I kinda changed Graal a little. Graal was actually an evil-tempered, stupid brute of an ogre who had this fascination with farming. I guess it woulda pissed Pete off if he saw this new incarnation, where Graal is dumb but basicly harmless.

Heh, it was quite a story behind Pat's Zarra Khan becoming a lich. But then again, this was an ultra-high level campaign we were playing, so for a PC to become a lich shoudln't be too much of a shock.

After that, when I was still in high school, I started the Firestaff series. And I worked on it, off and on (though more off than on until a friend of mine on IRC talked me into typing some of it and sending it to her), for 18 years.

God, where has the time gone.

You know, I think I still have the spiral notebooks that held the first 3 books of the Firestaff series up in the attic. I wonder what other stories I might find up there in that box.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

I say this in the sweetest possible voice...

SHARE!!!!

Thank you.

:twisted:
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

His just teasing us with this giant jar of cookies... :evil:
A couple of cookies aren't enough, are they, Fel, you had to tell us about all of them... :twisted:
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Fel, you are nothing but a scarlet hussy, a flirt, a tease! :evil: Shame on you... especially since we aren't going to get any rest with fiferguy chomping at the bits to get more snippets to feed the addiction. Heck, I'm not going to let you rest either.

Can we see them? Can we see them? Can we see them? ... When? When? When? When? When!!!!!! SHARRREEEEE!!!! :twisted:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

You're all reading this wrong. He will be gone, and he's letting us know that ALL his spiral books will be defenceless in a simple attic. Time to mount a raid :twisted:
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Yeah, sure I'll even fly over to participate :twisted: , but you're missing one little detail...Fel always wins :D

Btw Fel here's a show you should go to while you're in Japan... :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYUjAgfhj9c
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

hahaha, I'm not even sure where that box is.

Besides, I'd never let anyone into it. Those stories were...bad. Very bad. That's why I never finished 90% of them. Most of them were kinda like literary doodles. I'd just get this idea in my head of a single image or concept, and I'd try to build an entire story around it.

It never quite worked.

The Crystal Prison was my first real success, because after so many failures, I buckled down and REFUSED to just give up on it til it was done. It too was one of those literary doodles...I remember it well. I was sitting there after school watching Tom And Jerry and it just hit me: "what would it be like for an AD&D character to be in the real world?" I took that single concept and tried to build a plot around it...and The Crystal Prison unfolded. It unfolded slowly and very badly, but it did unfold. Writing that taught me a hell of a lot about this little thing called "planning." I wrote myself into a corner so many times doing that it wasn't funny.

That planning ability was worked out when I started playing AD&D and became the DM, but it was never quite...normal. When I DM'd our games, here was my entire plan.

"So, what are you guys going to do?"

I'd wing the ENTIRE thing. I'd make up characters on the spot, and just throw little bits and pieces at the group til they latched onto something, and then the adventure just kinda unfolded from there. I'd build dungeons and castles in my head once the plot evolved to the "let's go kill things" phase, literally sketching out the map at the same time as the group was. The only saving grace I had was that, to be honest here, I'm somewhat nasty when it comes to tactics. I was tactically better than the group, so I could basicly outplay them when the dice started rolling, which gave them the illusion that I had everything all "set up" for them to make it challenging.

My maps and dungeons were never that good or well designed, nor were my adventures detailed, but hell, we had fun. And a few memorable characters that were invented on the spot in those games are honored in what you've seen of my writing. But I'll never tell which ones. ;)

That's really where I learned how to write. I figured if I could make up a whole campaign on the spot, linking adventure after adventure together in a loose coalition that actually began to take shape into a systematic plotline when I introduced an arch-villain into the adventure, why the hell couldn't I actually FINISH a damned story?

And that's how I still write. I don't write chapters independently of each other...and that's actually somewhat rare as far as authors go, from what I'm told. I write in a linear fashion, each chapter building on the last and written in order, and honestly, 75% of it is just made up as I go along. I have certain "milestone" plot points that guide the story in a general direction, but how I get to those points is all just whatever crosses my mind as I'm sitting at the keyboard.

It's a writing style that's fraught with all kinds of dangers, since I have to pay much more attention to what I'm doing, I have to backpedal and rewrite more often than I'd like, and sometimes I lose track of names and characters (such as the infamy of Sarraya's three husbands, hehehe), and I'd weep for any editor that wanted to try to edit my work, but eh, it works for me.

And sometimes it even surprises me. Hell, half the time, I'm not entirely sure if I'm the one writing the story, or if the story's writing itself, and just physically forcing me at gunpoint to sit there and type it out.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

I typed search on google for "The Crystal Prison" and i got a book by someone who wrote about 2 mice.... and I thought I hit the jackpot that someone raided Fel's attic and post it on the net without his knowledge....

Well I will join the crowd for this............ When will I see it? :twisted:
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Fel,

Even your worst is better than someone else's best. ;)

So again I say with all reverence...

SHARE!!!

:twisted:
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Heh, Fel,

I write much the same way as you do. Of course, in the Coonaverse, I have a very dynamic group of characters (courtesy of Rick Coona) and most of the time it feels like I'm just the steno, taking down the story as it happens. That group of furs absolutely invaded my world and took over my story by the third chapter. It's been a fun ride. :D

I look forward to your new works, be they just new chapters or be they complete new stories. Or even resurrections of old stories. Keep up the good work, I have enjoyed, immensely, what I've read so far. I completed the Firestaff and Pyrosian stories in about three weeks, and Subjugation took only about a week. So now I'm hanging on, waiting for your next installment.

Thumbs up, Fel, to an outstanding author.

Nicolai
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

EDIT: count your blessings, Nicolai, I found your link over in General.

The preceding post has been removed in the interests of world peace.

And I might want to use that threat on someone else. Why give them advance warning?
stgardn1
Talent

Post by stgardn1 »

So, where is the rest of the Fox & the Hawk? I'd like to read your other stories as well, but you posted two chapters and I want to read the rest of it. Is it posted somewhere else? If so, what is the URL.

Thanks,

Dr. Stan
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

sorry to give you bad news, but as far as I know no more chapters of this story are written.

regards