Finding Magicians (spoilers)

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

SYED
Child of Niami

Finding Magicians (spoilers)

Post by SYED »

The dragons seem eager in locating and educating human magicians, and getting magic into the world at least on their terms. Especially considering that human magicians offer a way to confer flighT to earth dragons, thus granting them and magic itself greater security.
It seems to me it takes time and effort that detect human magicians. My theory is they either need some kind of artifact, say a crystal that glows in the hands of a magic user, or a prepared ritual site, similar to the o the aerie was enchanted to translate languages, but here enchanted to discern the magical ability and potential of a human.
Every country would be eager to gain magicians in their employ, so likely will offer up plenty of volunteers. One of the biggest issues is security, they either let a bunch of people access to the island, or establish a location in the world to do the testing, say something akin to a dragon embassy.
While a good part of dragon desire is to give earth dragons flight, the fact dragons can restore human youth is a security risk. Currently only a limited few humans are aware of this fact, but each time it happens more will learn. So they either need to find them young, or those who would be more easily missed. I was thinking searching the foster system, or old folks home. Imagine a kid offered a new home and a chance to learn magic. There might be plenty of elderly that would love a second chance of life and youth. I could see the USA and other nations search their veterans lists, for old soldiers that they could recruit.

Also, stick it to China , offer magicians to other countries but them.
.S.A.M.K.M
postal
Initiate

Re: Finding Magicians (spoilers)

Post by postal »

The major problem is with governments/politicians being involved, IE wanting to get their "private organizations" people in so that they can control the system, etc.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

The thing is the dragons would have a back up, they could discern the true names of their magical students. That would be epic leverage in policing the emerging magical landscape. If they don't teach how to locate or judge magical potentials, so they keep control of magical education.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

SYED wrote:The thing is the dragons would have a back up, they could discern the true names of their magical students. That would be epic leverage in policing the emerging magical landscape. If they don't teach how to locate or judge magical potentials, so they keep control of magical education.
Thats just going too far. The true names are a big problem i have with chromatic society. No one except whoever that name belongs to should know something like that. And if people ever discovered that the dragons know the true names of human magicians, and can use them to control them, then everyone would turn against them. Its a terrible idea!!
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

They don't need outright control, simply to get humans to follow some kind of code. So if any individual threatens the well being of he magical community, they can be dealt with.
.S.A.M.K.M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

This subject will be a major part of the next few chapters, mainly because of the earth dragons.

***SPOILER BELOW***

Giving earth dragons the ability to fly becomes the primary mission of the council, but the problem is numbers. It takes 17 humans to empower an earth dragon to fly, one for every spike in their tail. As it stands, there are only enough to empower one earth dragon; the Hunters, Winters, Yancy, Greg, Julia, and the newest discovered magician, Kent's assistant Ross.

That first earth dragon will be Kell. It's both him being a logical initial test subject for the chromatic sages since he's already bonded a human to himself, and his reward from the council for all the work he's done for them, though he sees it as a mixed blessing. It makes an old dream come true, but it separates him from the rest of his kind in a significant way.

Note I'm not including Davie, Kent, or President Walker, because Davie is a child and the dragons won't risk bonding him for fear it might mess up his growth and development, and Kent and Walker can't suddenly become young again due to their public roles. Julia would have to allow herself to be re-bonded, which she would agree to do with the promise that President Walker will be given the opportunity once he leaves office. She won't live without him, so the simple solution is to give him the same gift.

So, the problem for the dragons becomes finding some 43,000 or so human magicians. That's how many it would take to empower the entire earth dragon population to fly. And you have to remember, the earth dragons are very much a unit. If they can't ALL get empowered, NONE of them will. That's a LOT of humans that need to be found, convinced, bonded, and then trained

This is a major arc within the story that moves along with the dragons' attempts to be recognized by the world as a sovereign state.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Did they check to see if other dragons could be subsituted for humans? It could be only be actual magicians dragons be viable. If you think about it, in what circumstances would dragon blood get on a tail spike while still in the socket. Dragon hide has to be thicker than human skin.
The biggest issue about finding magicians is keeping the whole restored youth aspect. So target human young enough that minor changes won't be too disruptive, and for those older, the ones that can best hide from public awareness. Or they could use that very fact to attract human magicians. Make it known that becoming a human magicians means going through a healing ritual which will convey full health and strength, but only works for that with the talent. Sure people would love to be young again, but if they don't have the magic they are out of luck. The full health thing, I wonder just how many medical conditions could be fixed by this magic. So visit the hospitals and care homes.

If this development is spread amongst the earth dragons, I could see them all going into an extreme exercising program to be best capable to take advantage of flight. So lots of climbing, gliding, under water training and other strenuous activities,

If they offer loads of countries the chance to train magicians, they could get enough backing to force China to accept dragon recognisition.

It is possible that the dragons could steal the library China has, but I bet they have a digital copy hidden on a cold system somewhere. So more likely is that they can gain a copy of the texts they have in dragon, and the Chinese books with them. That way they would know what they have access to and deal with it. The damage control they can put into place, could let them guide future Chinese magicians.

I bet the Vatican has not only their own version of a dragon library, but magical items. There are all sorts of stories about the treasures hidden away in their vaults. If the church was the driving force behind the removal of dragons from human history, they would have preserved something in their records and vaults.
.S.A.M.K.M