Earth Bond Chapter 20 Discussion (spoilers!)

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Dreamer
Initiate

Re: Earth Bond Chapter 20 Discussion (spoilers!)

Post by Dreamer »

GBLW wrote:
Bartokian wrote:mass-canceling technology/magic is nice, but it's inertia that is the real killer.
Even anti-grav encounters problems in the larger scale. Newton's law tells us that if something moves, it will tend to remain moving (ie interia/momentum). Where inside the local (anti-)grav field you might not be subjected to inertia or momentum, in the larger interacting grav-fields something is being generated, and that needs to be stored somewhere (aka the inertia-compensator). Without option to bleed of the excess energy of inertia, any anti-grav is just a fast lane to getting smeared out when something out of the local field is encountered (and with relativistic speeds in mind, that might be sooner than you think)...
The real magic would be an intertia-compensator. Forget about artificially lowering mass - being able to pump/extract focussed kinetic energie in a structure without damaging its components would be the real trick. Wanna move upwards or turn - just dial up the engine. Apparent mass would still dictate the required energy, but at such an advances technological stage energy should be free anyway...
Hmm, I was taught that Inertia = Mass x Acceleration. If you have zero Mass, how can you have Inertia?
Bartokian wrote:the zero mass only works in your local environment/reference frame - you are still accellerating your mass relative to the outside world. So you would have to use that world as your reference frame, hence mass reappears into the equation. Or were we planning on eliminating all mass all over the universe? If so, let me know in advance so I can shut down whatever engine-type equipment I may have as to avoid having it run out on me!
0 mass = 0 inertia . . . inertia = momentum + direction conserved also resting objects stay at rest
0 mass = 0 inertia . . . Any stationary objects with no mass could at any time go in any direction at any speed... I wonder if the military thought of this one (just add mass to object before impact).

Fel - is this the mechanism for Satan's Balls? Or is this a Soviet Jumping Bean? (Sorry to any Russians out there, I just had trouble coming up with anything else more opposite to Mexico. Besides, who is more dangerous than a steriotypical Russian sleeper with a grudge - anyone could get killed most specifically his handlers)
ravenousreader
Novice

Post by ravenousreader »

I don't think it said any where that it would reduce it to zero. One of the tests by the chromatic sages would be how much mass is negated through each successive link. The relationship is probably logarithmic. It was stated that magic still has to follow physics principles to a point. Negating all mass would probably be one of those points.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

News headlines in about five years. "Earth dragon accelerates to near light speeds after bonding all known magicians. Speed of light barrier still unbroken."
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Just reread the whole series, it was just as awesome, but I am now filled with ideas and questions, so I am posting them to set them free.
Are there five or six types of shankers? If five, they could represent the five dragon species or 4 magic using ones and humans. If six, then they represent the 5 dragon races and humans. What is humanities specialty in magic? How did humanity achieve magic? Dragons got it as they are distantly all related. So how did magic touch humanity? exposure, adaption, evolution, magic influence.
Will railguns be built on the island to be a deterrent to naval forces getting too close?
With the big reveal and current dragon society, there will be a big need to find human wizards. Since kids are easier to test and teach, offer scholarships and homes to any kid that shows to have magic. If they can make a stone to show wards, should there not be a stone to find magicians? With sanctuary having empty rooms due to so many going to their burrows, then perfect place for them to go. Go to every entertain and illusion magician around, offer them actual magic teaching, in exchange for their support. Help create magician's guild, a corparate entity that would protect magic users from lawyers and governments.
THey could build their own website, who would not want to web cast with a dragon? THey could also start their own tv channel and radio station, as the magic and dragon channel. Great way to educate and propaganda the people.
There are hundreds of ships coming to the island, if they sink cargo ships, they would get supplies. THey should try to sink the cruise ship, but try and keep it in good condition, it would be a great place for visitors to stay while visiting the island. If they gave kell the ability to fly, then nothing the chinese fleet could do to stop him tearing the ships apart. Do the military ship come with scuttling charges in built? They simply need to cause the fleet to be set back for the wards on the island to be resestablish. Then any ships would be cherries on top. once they get their territory recognised, then prove their ability to defend it by causeing chinese ships to mysteriously sink, when not leaving the area.
If the earth dragons are going to get studied, the others should get them scanned with modern technology, just so they can help improve dragon sciences.
SO the tail spikes, big questions all around?
Does the spike position affect the magic? the donor; any type of dragon or a type of humans. If a shanker is bled on does it change anything? Can a shanker get multiple bindings?
So we know how the dragon races came about, how did the subspecies of dragons appear? WHy would a species have two different classes that interbreed? WHy did the chromatic ones interbreed.
There must historians that learned of those chinese ancient magic users, so follow the historical trail, to see where the military intersects and then get the books. THe thing is the government ar sure to have scanned them by now.
Europe would be a great place to look for magicians what with camelot and atlantis in the area.
.S.A.M.K.M
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

SYED wrote:How did humanity achieve magic? Dragons got it as they are distantly all related. So how did magic touch humanity? exposure, adaption, evolution, magic influence.
I think it was partially to do with the wisdom/development of the soul, as it's humans, then dragons as the most developed form of soul. I'm assuming of course that if the soul is developed but born into a body that doesn't support expressing magic directly, like earth dragons (are they the most developed form?), then they won't be able to use magic.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

That would be the spiritual reason, like the loss of magic was Gaia punishing the dragons while the technical explanation was with earth dragons deep underground, none of the magic they emitted could reach the surface.
I have two theories. They revolve around the earth dragons as they are magic's source. One is the fact the ED, spoke the hunters names alot, true names and magic works in draconic, as that is the first language they learn. They other is that the hunters kept on getting close to the agents, who were wearing amulet of change. I wonder if being in the presence of this causes magic.
If the magics have augries and divinations, I wonder could they have spells so to access past lives memories, or do they count as something not real. How can they have truth spells, if magic depends on acting on the real.
.S.A.M.K.M
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Uh oh, Dragon Island might be real; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20442487 :lol:
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I was just thinking, the dragon aerie has magic that allows draconian and English understanding to occur for the spoken language. Does that mean there could be an equivalent magic for the written language, say a crystal that causes the reader to see a text in a different language, like how the council meeting place allowed a different language to be heard and spoken. I wonder if it could be adapted to allow languages to be faster to learn, sort of subliminal learning as magic does translations?
THey were talking about making something that keeps moving as a way to power tech, a perpetual motion engine. Well, with modern tech, and equipment, steam engine would be far superior to their ancestors, so If a means of producing the sufficient heat is possible, then steam tech could be reintroduced and shared.
.S.A.M.K.M
james.montenegro
Novice

Post by james.montenegro »

I know that this a different author... but does dovetail into "Draconian Measures" at all?
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

james.montenegro wrote:I know that this a different author... but does dovetail into "Draconian Measures" at all?
Everything on these forums, except what is in the community section, is written by Fel (James Galloway).

Draconian Measures was morphed into this, Earth Bond, and won't continue in its current form.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

In Draconian Measures, some of the magical creatures and arts survived to the modern day, so I wonder if there are some left over magic in the world. Lots of forgotten items and talismans waiting to be found by a magic user, books hidden away by friend and foe. Talismans that allowed humans magic did not allow all the magic, it was just next to impossible to use magic with out them. In the centuries since the last dragon contact, could some surviving magician bloodlines have developed techniques and arts that allowed the limited magic they can use to be more capable?
MAgical items are likely to be hand crafted goods of reasonably high quality, so become valued antiques, so more likely to survive to modern day.
HOw many of the psychic and gifted are actually those with magical potential?

I wonder we know that its possible to change people with magic, what if there are those still carrying those changes? Will contact with dragons or active magicals awaken these changes?
.S.A.M.K.M
grimlock157
Initiate

Post by grimlock157 »

I really enjoyed this series, hope there is a sequel