Earth Bond Chapter 19 Discussion (spoilers!)

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

ThisAndThat1
Sorcerer

Earth Bond Chapter 19 Discussion (spoilers!)

Post by ThisAndThat1 »

Here is a chance to comment on chapter 19.

Here in my two bits. I remember a few years ago watching a movie about D-Day. After the battle the camera cuts to a tired bunch of soldiers around a bunker. An officer walks up and asks about the prisoners, the tired man thumbs behind him and says there smoking out back. The camera pans around to see the back of the bunker as the officer walks up and what is left of the Germans that manned it after being hit with napalm.

I don't know why but that is the image that flashed in to my mind when I finished reading this chapter.
"Molon labe!" (Come and get them!) King Leonidas of Sparta, when asked to lay down his force's arms.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

If tyranny & oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. James Madison

I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

“The great object is, that every man be armed. [...] Every one who is able may have a gun.” Patrick Henry
alkiera
Initiate

Re: Earth Bond Chapter 19 Discussion (spoilers!)

Post by alkiera »

I'm curious how much more of the story Fel is going to tell at this point; this was a pretty climactic chapter. In theory he could get away with an epilogue of 'they all lived happily-ever-after' (unlikely) and move to a different story.

On the other hand, there is room for a lot more stories here. The battle with the Chinese, US and International relations issues, human magician training, settling of Dragon society drama all could have interesting stories. Will we see them? Now, or in later books, a la Firestaff or the Walker stories?
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

I get the feeling that the next chapter will be more of a 'finalizing the book' chapter, tying up some loose ends, but opening up for a sequel.

I'm hoping this becomes a series. I want to see the slow integration of humans and dragons, as they adapt and learn to understand each other, and slowly grow closer.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Weresmilodon wrote:I get the feeling that the next chapter will be more of a 'finalizing the book' chapter, tying up some loose ends, but opening up for a sequel.

I'm hoping this becomes a series. I want to see the slow integration of humans and dragons, as they adapt and learn to understand each other, and slowly grow closer.

YEPPERS
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Yes and no.

The next chapter will have some continued plot movement, but will also at least tie things up so it doesn't feel cliffhanger-ish.

Yes, I intend to continue this series, with 2 more "book" like major plot devices. The first will deal with the dragons facing off against the Chinese, and to a lesser extent, other major global forces. It will also deal with the magical education of the Hunters and Julia Walker.

The second will deal with the dragons facing off against a world that doesn't want to give them the privacy they desire.

However, as I'm not doing these as stand-alone books, the next chapter once I pick up the story again will just be chapter 21. I'll be doing this more like Kit, as simply an ongoing serial.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

speaking of kit.
any idea when there will be more chapters from that story ?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

gnume wrote:speaking of kit.
any idea when there will be more chapters from that story ?
Eventually, there will be.

Though, the longer I wait, the longer in the past the story will be, it's curent timeline is before the 2008 Presidential election.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Fel wrote:Yes and no.

The next chapter will have some continued plot movement, but will also at least tie things up so it doesn't feel cliffhanger-ish.

Yes, I intend to continue this series, with 2 more "book" like major plot devices. The first will deal with the dragons facing off against the Chinese, and to a lesser extent, other major global forces. It will also deal with the magical education of the Hunters and Julia Walker.

The second will deal with the dragons facing off against a world that doesn't want to give them the privacy they desire.

However, as I'm not doing these as stand-alone books, the next chapter once I pick up the story again will just be chapter 21. I'll be doing this more like Kit, as simply an ongoing serial.
Yay, The story continues and never ends..... I like it. :D
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
zjoske
Initiate

Post by zjoske »

Fel wrote:Yes and no.

Yeaa, can't wait to see the next installments of this book!! Although I'm also anxiously awaiting the next subjugation book!!

Who is with me to clone Fel? So he can work on al his books at the same time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Yay, the dragon civil war is over just in time to fight the humans.
I wonder if Prisma will get a place on the chromatic council for all her good work. Possibly giving her one of the libraries to run. I bet she will ask permission for the ED to upgrade and outfit the libraries with tech. Copiers, scanners, fax machines, a library database and tracking system, Wi-fi network. Imagine all dragons getting a library cards. I wonder if the ramp system would be expanded to allow travel to libraries. If they will invite humans to the island to learn?, then surely they would need access to the books to learn.
Will they fully inspect the chromatic head office for other tomes that have been misplaced?

So a better factory and power plant will be built on the surface as well as all the farms being remade.

Dragons working together could blanket the fleet in fog and mist right. The ED could then mess with navigation. They could make the fleet continually circle the island if they wished. Also a great way to isolate ships if they cant see the dragons coming. Make loads and loads of scary noises, make a few magical lights and most of the crew will go on alert so when ship starts to sink, they could escape. If they droped ED on the ship, they could claw their way through to the hull, and no sailor could stop him.

So the dragons for sure will have a website, but could they also have their own radio or television station. Dedicated to dragon or magic stuff.
.S.A.M.K.M
CoatOSilver
Novice

Post by CoatOSilver »

Fel wrote:However, as I'm not doing these as stand-alone books, the next chapter once I pick up the story again will just be chapter 21. I'll be doing this more like Kit, as simply an ongoing serial.
Awww. I really prefer book sizied chuncks. As long as individual chapters are, a continuous book is more fun to read and immerse in.
Anyway, keep going, I'll somehow manage.
Bester
Sorcerer

Post by Bester »

Have to say that I'm of the same mind. Waiting between chapters disrupts the flow of reading, and the longer it is in between chapters the greater the disruption. If chapters are coming fairly regularly it isn't a huge deal, but if several months pass it is hard to keep the thread of a story (much less the individual characters) fresh in your head. At least, as a reader.
grimlock157
Initiate

Post by grimlock157 »

I don't mind either way, long gaps give me an excuse to re-read the entier story to catch up again! :D
ThisAndThat1
Sorcerer

Post by ThisAndThat1 »

grimlock157 wrote:I don't mind either way, long gaps give me an excuse to re-read the entier story to catch up again! :D
You have gotten that right. :roll:
"Molon labe!" (Come and get them!) King Leonidas of Sparta, when asked to lay down his force's arms.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

If tyranny & oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. James Madison

I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

“The great object is, that every man be armed. [...] Every one who is able may have a gun.” Patrick Henry
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Hey Fel, I remembered Mother Gaia waking up and asking Kell whether he has returned? And I thought Kell is going to get some additional superpowers ala Tarrin. Not going to happen now?
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.