Earth Bond Chapter 17 - Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

GBLW
Mi'Shara

Earth Bond Chapter 17 - Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by GBLW »

Interesting, the US President and the First Lady have visited Hawaii and have both been give Dragon artifacts - magical artifacts. The First Lady was given one of Kel's spikes and President Walker was given a statue carved by Kell.
For a magician to do spells, they must have a 'talisman,' which is really a magical artifact (an object created by a magician).
The first lady was 'tested' and found to have potential as a magician.
Anyone want to wager that the President does as well? :roll:
Does that portend that a Magician will soon be seated in the Oval Office? :wink:

Now of course there will be some who will say that Kell is not a magician, but my argument that Kell is an Earth Dragon and Earth Dragons are the source of all magic, ergo - Kell can create a magical object. After all, spikes shed by Earth Dragons are used by the Chromatics as the focus of all their strongest spells, aren't they? :wink: :twisted:
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
ettoren
Sorcerer

Re: Earth Bond Chapter 17 - Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by ettoren »

It has been stated unequivocally that earth dragons can create Magical Constructs such as Talismans and tools. It was explained in this chapter that it is likely that the Earth Dragons are the only ones with the skills necessary, currently, to do so.

Earth Dragons being the Fount of Magic imbues them with the innate ability to create the requisite tools and devices necessary to create other Magical Constructs as well as being able to create the Constructs directly, though without the Magically Imbued Tools, they are limited to making Constructs achievable only by paw, claw, horn and spike. Once the foundation set of Magically Imbued Tools has been created others with the proper crafting skills can then further create more specialized tools to be distributed to other crafters to create the devices, talismans and even more specialized tools.

The Statue being made of stone should make it unusable as a Magical Talisman. Stone being non-conducive to magic.

The tail spike may work as a Magical Talisman without any further preparation, but we have not yet been told of how Talismans are made, just some of the materials they are made of.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

That brings to mind the question "Is a raw unworked object considered a talisman?"

I kinda got the idea that there was more to be done, after the shaping. I kinda doubt just the spike, or the statue, will be enough in their current state.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

I'm kinda wondering what the blood turning the Tail spike a different color signifies, and that it fell out once that happened...... It seems like that might be pretty important later in the story..

Does Water dragon blood turn it a totally different color? Chromatic? Sky Dragon....
physicalard
Initiate

Post by physicalard »

The first lady's blood was incorporated into the white crystal made from Kell's blood. It has been stated that Earth dragon blood could make a human immune to earth weapons. I am wondering what mixing human blood with the crystallized earth dragon blood will do to the human. There will have to be some effect (probably spectacular) cooking in Fel's mind. Bullet proof, greatly boosted magical ability, who knows what but it has to do something.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Actually folks, I was teasing, :twisted: because there is also mention in the story that it takes years of training for a magician to develop his/her skills enough to be proficient and a President can only serve for a maximum of what is it -- four years? I doubt if the there is enough spare time in the day for any serving President to do all that much study while in office, so I think that takes care of the idea that the statue might serve as a Talisman while Walker is in office - besides which that the statue is made out of stone as ettoren mentioned.

Now what the tail spike implies is a different matter, since it is a crystal and since it is on the list of what can be used to create a Talisman. I was just wondering if the First Ladies' blood would be considered as a 'modification' of an item created by an Earth Dragon since she does have magical 'potential' and that spike was 'created' by Kell?
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

GBLW wrote:Actually folks, I was teasing, :twisted: because there is also mention in the story that it takes years of training for a magician to develop his/her skills enough to be proficient and a President can only serve for a maximum of what is it -- four years? I doubt if the there is enough spare time in the day for any serving President to do all that much study while in office, so I think that takes care of the idea that the statue might serve as a Talisman while Walker is in office - besides which that the statue is made out of stone as ettoren mentioned.

Now what the tail spike implies is a different matter, since it is a crystal and since it is on the list of what can be used to create a Talisman. I was just wondering if the First Ladies' blood would be considered as a 'modification' of an item created by an Earth Dragon since she does have magical 'potential' and that spike was 'created' by Kell?

Kinda wish it was 4 years, but it's 8..... (US President..)
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

It's 8 only if an existing pres can reelected.

Which happens all too often.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

physicalard wrote:The first lady's blood was incorporated into the white crystal made from Kell's blood. It has been stated that Earth dragon blood could make a human immune to earth weapons. I am wondering what mixing human blood with the crystallized earth dragon blood will do to the human. There will have to be some effect (probably spectacular) cooking in Fel's mind. Bullet proof, greatly boosted magical ability, who knows what but it has to do something.
Yes, but that is taking Earth Dragon Blood and applying it to a Human, there (as far as I can remember) is not any mention about Human blood affecting Earth dragons in any manner....

that I think is a Key to something....

What the something is, Only Fel Knows.. and he's being quiet :P
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Likely it's now attuned to the First Lady, which means she's the only one that can use it.

Doesn't mean she's not going to now be targeted by the Chinese directly because she has an active, working Talisman.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
commandert
Talent

Post by commandert »

I thought that the significance of the spike with blood changing color was further evidence that earth dragons are clearly magical beings. I see so many hints that the humans and in particular jenny has available to start figuring out some things that the ED don't want the humans to know.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

well this story just continues to get better and better.
As all who have read fels many novels know , hes a past master at having obscure facts later turning out to "keys" to major events later on .So this sent my spider senses tingling.
All in all , the conference went well,and the dragons have figured out more than once that Human aint stupid.They better keep a Kimdori like hold on their secrets.

ps Fel thats a subtle hint , whats on our wish list for you to work on next.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

We can assume that the Americans familiar with the magical theory book and briefed on earth dragon physiology (i.e. spikes, invulnerability etc.) plus the failing island protections would be able to figure out that the earth dragons serve some fundamental role in how magic works. Just as people commenting here did. :wink:
In chapter 17, Fel wrote:the dragons were ripe for conquering
It is only sensible for China to make plans to control the island if necessary. Just as the Pentagon should have rudimentary plans for invading any country that could theoretically pose a threat to them. [Ostensible allies France and the UK, for example.] Only if they take action should the making of such plans be seen as absolute intent.

I will assume the evidence the earth dragons have uncovered is more than just planning though. :roll:
In chapter 17, Fel wrote:Earth dragon morals teach us to never attack first, that the instigation of violence without justified cause is the lowest form of cowardice and dishonor.
In direct contrast to field agent activity? How preemptive should we consider escalation?
In chapter 17, Fel wrote:birds made of iron were flying in the sky.
Surely they'd know the difference between aluminum and iron. Metal gliders maybe?

An interesting chapter overall. There are a number of plot devices and ideas developing in the wings to twist the outcome. :twisted:
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Every one thinks that this tail spike thing is a talisman, but would it not be a familiar issue instead. This spike is acting as a permanent link between kell and the first lady. We know earth dragons can use magical items, so what if this link grants earth dragons some kind of magic. Each human magician has a type of magic they are best suited for, what if the link allows the earth dragon access to it while the human gets access to magic in general. Earth dragons cant use normal magic as they are spreading magic themselves. But if he uses the tail spike is there a way around it.
My guess its more of a symbiotic relationship between the two now.
.S.A.M.K.M
ThisAndThat1
Sorcerer

Post by ThisAndThat1 »

It looks like the ChoCom are in for a big surprise.

The dragons have just a few problems to knock out.

1. The fluffies
2. The ChiCom
3. A hunting area
4. Trade - dragging stuff from the bottom of the ocean and what not.

5. The big one Magic!
Who gets to learn?
Grabbing the books back from the ChiCom!
Is the tail spike just a spike or something more?
Why did the earth dragons hide the breath magic?
"Molon labe!" (Come and get them!) King Leonidas of Sparta, when asked to lay down his force's arms.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

If tyranny & oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. James Madison

I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

“The great object is, that every man be armed. [...] Every one who is able may have a gun.” Patrick Henry