Earth Bond, chapter 7 discussion [Spoilers]

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

expedient
Mi'Shara

Earth Bond, chapter 7 discussion [Spoilers]

Post by expedient »

So any opinions on Kell's "dream":

1. Communing with Gaia
2. Communing with the Elder Dragon
3. Dream
4. Magical interrogation?

What might the "most powerful magic of all" entail:

1. Balance
2. Contributing to the flow of manna
3. The ability to speak directly to the source of magic?
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
SYED
Child of Niami

Re: Earth Bond, chapter 7 discussion [Spoilers]

Post by SYED »

I think the colors represent affinities, each dragon is said to have a sphere to themselves. Each shanker is unique, but I bet the clear ones will really be useful
black-earth-? earth manipulation abilities, sense techtonic and vulcani tremmors, potentially able to affect them. Manipulate the earth and stones, so able to shape their city easier. Magic that is not seen and does not need words, so works by thought and no special effects. What about they are skilled in magical objects, or can affect other magics.
pink-?water-protection
Orange-?fire-attack
Cloudy-?air-weather and the senses
Clear-chromatic-magic
purple-?-?

When was the last time earth dragons had to sprend days straight deep underground after forced to expend thei spikes. The anomolus spike disappears eventually, I wonder if that means if the ED dont use their magics to they return to their slumber. If they can eat stones do they consume spikes for magic power. Say kell knows all the beginers magic info, see jenny, and makes an attempt at magic, which actually works.

Will it really take years for the 1sr spell, and decades to be a master? Could modern man be better at learning magic? I wonder if ED would need the same amount of time or would they learn faster. Few dragons have magic out side for a few except for chromatics. I wonder if that would be different for ED. That would be a cool way for america to get paid back for their help, the education of many of their people that show potential in magics. There are four small islands near by, just lumps of stone in the water. what if the dragons arrange for platforms similar to those oil drilling ones to be built there, a place for humans to stay and act as a contact point.
Chromatics are all wizards, but yet earth dragons were said to have the most powerful magic of them all.

So ED will have stores and possibly fish from the water allies. The highland dragon wont have fish or their stores. The sky dragons will be forced to feed 3 dragon species. The fire dragons may be sent for foods, but the neat deal the humans have will deal with that. Can they sky dragons feed bothem and chromatics and a continual basis. When was the last time a sky dragon had to feed themselves and other soly on what they hunt, even if possible doubt it would be a long term solution.

The thing is in combat ED are at risk of being picked up and dropped to death, but if they can mimic how the other dragons use magic to fly they would be a huge threat to the others, they may not yet have a breath weapon, but they do have a projectile weapon. They are also one of the more numerous dragon races.
.S.A.M.K.M
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

The spikes are made from their crystallized blood. Throwing all seventeen at once, I can see how impurities/oddities in the blood could cause shankers.

However, if we're going to look at them for other reasons... The Chief got a black shanker when he threw all his spikes, and he won't give his reason as to why, whereas Kell has a pure clear one. I think that points to more of a reasoning behind why the dragon threw them all. The chief likely didn't have very good intentions when he threw them. Gaia agreed with Kell's reasoning, and you don't get much more approval than that which created you.
And, I believe, you have proved worthy of your spikes.
As you have provided, so now may you be provided for, as it should be.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

expedient wrote:So any opinions on Kell's "dream":

1. Communing with Gaia
2. Communing with the Elder Dragon
3. Dream
4. Magical interrogation?

1. Balance
2. Contributing to the flow of manna
3. The ability to speak directly to the source of magic?
was thinking number one on the first list and and on the second list , i am undecided.Are the ED's a replica of Tarrin (2,3) or Jason style (1 kinda) will have to remain to be seen.One thing is different in this series.NO HAREM. :(
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

dellstart wrote:One thing is different in this series.NO HAREM. :(
As ANTIcarrot might say: you just had to say it, didn't you. :wink: :lol:

Kell flirts with two young dragon females so far, one of which could cause a whole heap of trouble if it went further.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

expedient wrote:
dellstart wrote:One thing is different in this series.NO HAREM. :(
As ANTIcarrot might say: you just had to say it, didn't you. :wink: :lol:
There there Dellstart. I'm sure I can point you in the direction of some very tallented dragon artists if you're experiencing harem withdrawal. :wink:

As to 'the most powerful magic of all.' Well gee, they do happen to be sitting on a frigging volcano! I'm sure that's not relevent at all. :roll:

And by now I am of course wondering where exactly the dragons come from. Because warm blooded hexapods and wacky finger quotes "magic" don't easily fit into the fossil record. Though on the off chance that in a few chapters time a dragon finds a small cube covered in blinking coloured lights, I called it first. :P
I is an certified nut
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

ANTIcarrot wrote:There there Dellstart. I'm sure I can point you in the direction of some very tallented dragon artists if you're experiencing harem withdrawal. :wink:

As to 'the most powerful magic of all.' Well gee, they do happen to be sitting on a frigging volcano! I'm sure that's not relevent at all. :roll:

And by now I am of course wondering where exactly the dragons come from. Because warm blooded hexapods and wacky finger quotes "magic" don't easily fit into the fossil record. Though on the off chance that in a few chapters time a dragon finds a small cube covered in blinking coloured lights, I called it first. :P
Not all magic is flashy or earth-shattering. The earth dragons do have the most powerful magic of all, but it's exceptionally subtle.

As to where dragons come from, well, I haven't done THAT much backstory, so, time to improvise.

The dragons came from eggs.

Wow...I don't believe I came up with something so complex so quickly, or something that'll get me pummeled in dark alleys with so much enthusiasm for using old, stale, bad puns.

Boy, do I have egg on my face.

I'm just shellshocked.

Really.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Fel wrote:
ANTIcarrot wrote:There there Dellstart. I'm sure I can point you in the direction of some very tallented dragon artists if you're experiencing harem withdrawal. :wink:

Not all magic is flashy or earth-shattering. The earth dragons do have the most powerful magic of all, but it's exceptionally subtle.

As to where dragons come from, well, I haven't done THAT much backstory, so, time to improvise.

Wow...I don't believe I came up with something so complex so quickly, or something that'll get me pummeled in dark alleys with so much enthusiasm for using old, stale, bad puns.

Boy, do I have egg on my face.

I'm just shellshocked.

Really.
WOW! Are you just egg'n for a beat'n or what!?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

No, don't whip me. It would just scramble my entire night.

And stop poaching my puns, you Benedict.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:No, don't whip me. It would just scramble my entire night.

And stop poaching my puns, you Benedict.
Speaking of Benedict - have you seen him in Sherlock? Awesome TV Show. My favorite episode is from this season where Lara Pulver plays an Irene Adler who's a dominatrix. With whips.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Fel wrote: As to where dragons come from, well, I haven't done THAT much backstory, so, time to improvise.

I don't mean to question Your Almighty Fel-ness, but are you sure that the Egg came first? How many dragons have debated which came first, the Dragon or the Egg?
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

miraborn wrote:How many dragons have debated which came first, the Dragon or the Egg?
Well, actualy the hard-shelled egg evolved much earlier than dinosaurs (who almost certainly predate the dragon phylum) as part of the conquest of the land by terran previously-water-based ancestors. Basically, an egg is a protected little pool of 'sea water' which allows water-evolved animals to reproduce in dry environments. The first group of animals that laid hard-shelled eggs were the amniotes and the earliest known hard-shelled egg about 340 million years old, and...

Oh wait, you were being metaphorical, weren't you?
I is an certified nut
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

My guess is that it is self-evolution, adapting to new circumstances. The Earth Dragons will be eating rock to stretch their supplies, so suddenly they will find that they can gain nutrition from the rock.

In the past, they saw something strange (The human aircraft) so they developed more intelligence to understand it...

They may also be able to modify others, like giving selected humans the ability to use magic...
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

In a lot of fantasy universes, the most powerful forms of magic aren't what we'd traditionally think of as magic. Things like imagination, dreaming, diplomacy, or heart.

Alternatively we can look at their abilities; especially the oes that don't quite make sense. Congealed dragon blood really shouldn't be able to punch through mild steel plate. Assuming this isn't bizaro physics - do the dragons know this? If the spikes are inherantly magical, or inherantly capable of storing or collecting magical energy (which would explain their ballistic properties) then potentially the Earth Dragons become the geese that lay the golden eggs. We are told the chromatics use crystals for some of their magic. Out of interest, what material are they made from?

Can you imagine anything that would stick in the Chromatics craw more than the idea they need Earth dragons, not only for food, but also to do powerful magic? :twisted:
I is an certified nut
konman
Da'Shar

Post by konman »

They may also be able to modify others, like giving selected humans the ability to use magic...
I Think This is the key point. The water dragons will still have a relationship with the Earth Dragons and will keep their magic.

Jenny who has had a close relationship with Kell, spending a full Day with him now shows signs of magic.

What if the chromatics, fire and the sky dragons start loosing their magic with the disappearance of the earth Dragons.

Perhaps this is what the Entity Kell heard/felt meant.
Everyone has A photographic memory.
Some just don't have any film!