Earth Bond, chapter 7 discussion [Spoilers]

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Re: Earth Bond, chapter 7 discussion [Spoilers]

Post by Fiferguy »

Fel wrote:
ANTIcarrot wrote:There there Dellstart. I'm sure I can point you in the direction of some very tallented dragon artists if you're experiencing harem withdrawal. :wink:

As to 'the most powerful magic of all.' Well gee, they do happen to be sitting on a frigging volcano! I'm sure that's not relevent at all. :roll:

And by now I am of course wondering where exactly the dragons come from. Because warm blooded hexapods and wacky finger quotes "magic" don't easily fit into the fossil record. Though on the off chance that in a few chapters time a dragon finds a small cube covered in blinking coloured lights, I called it first. :P
Not all magic is flashy or earth-shattering. The earth dragons do have the most powerful magic of all, but it's exceptionally subtle.

As to where dragons come from, well, I haven't done THAT much backstory, so, time to improvise.

The dragons came from eggs.

Wow...I don't believe I came up with something so complex so quickly, or something that'll get me pummeled in dark alleys with so much enthusiasm for using old, stale, bad puns.

Boy, do I have egg on my face.

I'm just shellshocked.

Really.
He who would pun would pick a pocket...

That being said, damn you Fel for getting me hooked on ANOTHER of your stories... 8)
Dreamer
Initiate

Post by Dreamer »

Fel wrote:
...Not all magic is flashy or earth-shattering. The earth dragons do have the most powerful magic of all, but it's exceptionally subtle.
AD = Air Dragon; CD = Chromatic Dragon; ED = Earth Dragon; FD = Fire Dragon; WD = Water Dragon;

Regarding ED magic: At first, I also was thinking about what would happen if an ED ate one of his/her spikes; but I think that the spikes are a side-effect of their magic (a highly useful one as already seen). While eating one may augment or change the abilities of the ED or the other dragon species, I think that their magic is something else (devious Fel always makes the obvious answer small potatoes compared to the real answer). I was also thinking about Eron from the Firestaff series and was wondering if the "durable" ED could also affect the magic and spells of the other dragons (making it weaker by "eating" it; or making a spell permanent). This might explain why the protective spells placed on the ED homes by the WD have lasted so long (assuming that the number of protected areas were not all placed at the time of the last ED withdraw from the surface). It would be funny if the ED learned how to drain the energy from the CDs' spells to strengthen themselves 8) .

Regarding the color of the shankers: I believe that it depends upon the emotional state of the dragon when it grows back. Black - guilt or self-loathing; White - aceptance/peace; etc... Whether a non-red spike has any unusual properties or not would be interesting (i.e. Black are poisonous to dragons other than the one that grew it :cry:, White may have sedative or even curative properties :D , purple might cause delerium or halucinations :shock: )

Regarding the dream: probably Gaia, but he/she won't show herself again to the EDs until after she gets more info - maybe with the dream of another species (my vote would be either the female Chromatic that took the census of Kell's and his families food stores, or the current AD counsel member - both could be VERY entertaining / humorous :twisted: ).
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Cystals and diamonds and gems could be difficult to aquire in such isolation from man, is not like they can have their own shops or mines. Easiest substitute would be the spikes from ED, they would be the classic renewable resource.
Dragons can eat stones, so what happens if they consume tail spikes. More magic to them, greater magicians, more powerful.
Ferroth sounds like a very canny dragon, so would he have ensured that as much of the islands libaries and sources of info were digitised, so all those magical secrets are open to exploitation.
.S.A.M.K.M
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

SYED wrote:Cystals and diamonds and gems could be difficult to aquire in such isolation from man, is not like they can have their own shops or mines. Easiest substitute would be the spikes from ED, they would be the classic renewable resource.
Dragons can eat stones, so what happens if they consume tail spikes. More magic to them, greater magicians, more powerful.
Ferroth sounds like a very canny dragon, so would he have ensured that as much of the islands libaries and sources of info were digitised, so all those magical secrets are open to exploitation.
While don't discount the idea of archiving the libraries, I think that is somewhat unlikely. While though the libraries are theoretically "public" spaces, I seriously doubt the CDs would let EDs read, much less copy/scan/save much of their information.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

SYED wrote:Cystals and diamonds and gems could be difficult to aquire in such isolation from man, is not like they can have their own shops or mines.
They have their own "factory" right underneath them. The volcano. I'm sure they've gathered a number of gems from there plus whatever hoards they brought with them originally.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Spec8472 wrote:Speaking of Benedict - have you seen him in Sherlock? Awesome TV Show. My favorite episode is from this season where Lara Pulver plays an Irene Adler who's a dominatrix. With whips.
Absolutely love Sherlock! We'll have to see how Benedict does as the villain in the upcoming Star Trek movie. I'm kind of torn about that, I'd prefer more Sherlock, and I must say that 3 episodes a year is killing me!