Earth Bond

Discussions all around the Earth Bond/Kell the dragon story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Gauthier
Novice

Re: Earth Bond

Post by Gauthier »

The usual solution to sea capacitance problem is to use DC current.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-volta ... ct_current
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:Actually, if I remember my electrical engineering, it's not that the water acts as a giant resistor. It would be the other way around. An undersea cable would act like a giant capacitor.

The definition of a capacitor is "two areas of conductance separated by an insulator." Given that seawater is a conductor, that would turn an undersea cable into one massive capacitor, and that causes the charge to build up along the plate rather than flow. That would effectively stop the conductance of current along the cable.

The solution is in the equation for capacitance, and that would be to isolate the undersea cable by putting as much physical distance as possible between it and the seawater (distance affects capacitance), as well as to put a grounded shield between it and the seawater, much as what exists in a coaxial cable, to counter the capacitive effect between the power cable and the seawater.

Ah, ok. I was going on half-remembered stories of all the varied reasons why the first undersea cables failed. (Aside from shoddy wiring)
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Repeating again.

“Well, don’t worry about it, that kind of magic requires the caster to be very close. Even up in that water cave, you were still a good half mile away from any fluffy, and that’s way too far. That kind of magic requires a fluffy to be very close to you, like in the same burrow. So, it was just a weird dream, whelp. Scratch it up to how tired you were, sometimes you get some really strange dreams when you’re exhausted. A little odd that they’d grow that fast, but then again, how long did it take for them to start growing in the first place? Maybe they just caught up, and since you were worrying over it, naturally you’d dream about it.”

Looks like things are getting more interesting by the chapter. I find the possibility of Gaia to be especially interesting.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

After following the series to Chapter 9 and it dones seem like it is stopping.

Earth Bond deserves its own section ..... and not under OTher Stories. :D
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.