Thor's Child & Detour to Otherwhen

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

GBLW
Mi'Shara

Thor's Child & Detour to Otherwhen

Post by GBLW »

We have a huge Pacific low sitting offshore and the fall storms have moved in on the BC coast. As a result I've been having a visit from my arthritis and other unwelcome bodily disturbances, so between pain, stiffness and the effects of painkillers, my writing progress is exceedingly slow. I'll do my best to try to keep up to my schedule of one chapter of one story or the other each week, but I won't make any promises for the next while.

K Pelle
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Re: Thor's Child & Detour to Otherwhen

Post by GBLW »

The past week certainly hasn't been the best time of my life. My health kicked up a bit and I went on heavy duty meds for a few days. On top of that we had a death in the family. It wasn't anything unexpected since my cousin had been in bad health for years -- in fact it was probably a relief for all concerned, but still not something that any of the family found enjoyable.

To compensate, I now have a new great-great grandniece who has been pronounced healthy and 'Mom' is doing well.

As a result of the various happenings my writing has suffered and the next chapter of any of my stories had to be set aside as nonessential -- sorry about that.

KP

Late edit - unfortunately my great-great grandniece had an abusive father - she never lived to see her first Christmas.
(and Dammit, I live in Canada, not Texas!)
Last edited by GBLW on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K Pelle aka GBLW
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Sorry about all that. Congrats though on the new family member! 8)
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Re: Thor's Child, Detour to Otherwhen & Blame Charlie

Post by GBLW »

More 'not so hot' news today. We had a building-wide test of the fire alarm, smoke detector, and heat detector systems this afternoon. While he was here concerning that, the building 'manager' mentioned that I might have to swap suites for a while - I mean move out completely - then maybe move back (I DO like this particular suite, a lot!). However it seems they have discovered a bulge in the exterior wall above the laundry room and they suspect either a broken roof drain with resultant rot, or possibly termites. The laundry room just happens to back up to my master bedroom and it appears that the outer wall of my bedroom is more than likely 'compromised' as well. :(

The problem for me is that I'm old and I've collected a lot of artifacts and antiques over my lifetime. Most of the 'artifacts' are extremely delicate or quite small and quite valuable (family heirloom sort of stuff) - I am not very trusting toward 'movers' so many of those are items are things I or my kids would have to pack and shift. Then too, I have hundreds of lineal feet of both soft and hardcover books in custom book cases - one of those covers a 14 foot long wall of my bedroom, stretching from ceiling to floor. And that's not mentioning all the furniture, carpets and other 'stuff' that has to be moved - including my office, but at least most of that junk can be handled by hired movers. :roll:

Hopefully they won't want to break into that wall until next spring, but they'll be doing some investigating right after the holidays and all I can do is cross my fingers that what they find can be repaired easily (ie, without involving a move on my part!) :?

kp
K Pelle aka GBLW
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Sorry about being late with my posting of chapters, but it's winter and I have a rough time with winter. :? The words are coming - just more slowly than usual.

kp
K Pelle aka GBLW
gesit
Sui'Kun

Post by gesit »

Yes m8,

It's very cold here too, and being older is troublesome then, i'm not too old, but having a bad back makes me very careful when it cold and slippery, very afraid of falling down outside
with none around.
just take care, all the best

ham
ilox
Sorcerer

Post by ilox »

GBLW wrote:Sorry about being late with my posting of chapters, but it's winter and I have a rough time with winter. :? The words are coming - just more slowly than usual.
kp
Mate, the words might be slow coming but will be eagerly awaited as we know that they will be crafted with care and expertise and will all form a great update to some great tales. Take what time you need, we are not going anywhere.

On other matters, how are things going with the structural repairs to your residence? Moved yet?

And the matter of your great-great grandniece, is the perp/scumbag/(expletive deleted) doing time or heading that way?
Cheers, Ian
"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter.
Some day I intend reading it." ~ unknown
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

ilox wrote: Mate, the words might be slow coming but will be eagerly awaited as we know that they will be crafted with care and expertise and will all form a great update to some great tales. Take what time you need, we are not going anywhere.

On other matters, how are things going with the structural repairs to your residence? Moved yet?

And the matter of your great-great grandniece, is the perp/scumbag/(expletive deleted) doing time or heading that way?
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Concerning the suite I live in - right now they are still investigating the suites above mine to see where the problem really comes from because my inside walls are showing little if any damage, just the exterior stucco and trim. Even my sliding windows still work fine, so my suite seems to be structurally sound, which means I might not have to move. (Crossing fingers, toes, knees, elbows and even eyeballs.)

As for the dirty, rotten, ********* ******* -- we're still awaiting trial, meanwhile the whole family's patience is wearing just a tad thin. {EDIT- I've been told by a lawyer that I should remove part of this comment since what I wrote might influence a jury.} (This is definitely a case where I wish Canada hadn't abolished the death penalty!)
K Pelle aka GBLW
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

yea people like that need to just be hung. pedophiles too for that matter.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Just an update of my writing progress - the next chapter of 'Thor's Child' has been sent off to the editor for a second run through. It should be posted in a day or two (unless the editor feel I should do a major revision - AGAIN.)
The next chapter of 'Detour to Otherwhen' is done in rough, but needs polishing and a 'fact check' before going to edit.
The next chapter of 'Blame Charlie' is well over half done in rough format, but may be set aside while more of 'Thor's Child' is tackled.

KP

(Now you'll have to pardon me while I spend today buying a new refrigerator and having it installed, then arrange to dispose of the old one - which died an untimely death. Things just ain't built the way they used to be. This poor (quality) beast is less than 5 years old and in the 'old' days I've had refrigerators last 25 years, then was able to have a refrigerator mechanic work one over to last another 5 years. )
K Pelle aka GBLW
crxbnt
Da'Shar

Post by crxbnt »

Thanks KP for the update. I am looking forward to the updates.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding the refrigerator. All I can advise is buy the most basic unit. All the add ons needlessly complicate the machinery, and make it too difficult to repair. The "energy saver" models don't help either. They obtain most of their savings by under powering the unit, and then it burns out at about the same time the warranty expires!
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Well, I really haven't done much writing in the last while - instead I've been 'engineering' again. I've been developing a design for a two cylinder, double acting, compound steam engine, complete with an integral, semi-automatic 'simpling valve' for ease of start-up.
I've finally gotten most of my design work done on the steam engine - at least on the computer. I still have to double check the whole thing, then do the design work for the patterns that will be necessary to cast the various parts. Once all of that is done I'll have to spend a few days at the plotter, doing full sized drawings, and after that I can start on the boiler which will match the engine's needs.
Part of this design is hundred year old technology, but part of it uses recent mechanical and material technology (I'm even looking at some interesting ceramics as a possible means of reducing friction on one bearing surface - the sliding surfaces in the automated simpling valve.)

Anyway, since most of this is Greek to many people, I'm really only make note of it so people know why my stories are 'almost' on hold -- I am working on them, but only when I get so dang bored of engineering that I need a break.

(Of course I'm also taking some time to watch a bit of Euro 2012 - And for those who are fans of European style football, I'll say now that I hate seeing games ending with penalty kicks, even if I did feel the English didn't deserve a win against Italy!)

KP
K Pelle aka GBLW
tereszcz
Initiate

Post by tereszcz »

So what you are saying is that we entered a long period of drought. :(
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

GBLW wrote:Well, I really haven't done much writing in the last while - instead I've been 'engineering' again. I've been developing a design for a two cylinder, double acting, compound steam engine, complete with an integral, semi-automatic 'simpling valve' for ease of start-up.
I've finally gotten most of my design work done on the steam engine - at least on the computer. I still have to double check the whole thing, then do the design work for the patterns that will be necessary to cast the various parts. Once all of that is done I'll have to spend a few days at the plotter, doing full sized drawings, and after that I can start on the boiler which will match the engine's needs.
Part of this design is hundred year old technology, but part of it uses recent mechanical and material technology (I'm even looking at some interesting ceramics as a possible means of reducing friction on one bearing surface - the sliding surfaces in the automated simpling valve.)

Anyway, since most of this is Greek to many people, I'm really only make note of it so people know why my stories are 'almost' on hold -- I am working on them, but only when I get so dang bored of engineering that I need a break.

(Of course I'm also taking some time to watch a bit of Euro 2012 - And for those who are fans of European style football, I'll say now that I hate seeing games ending with penalty kicks, even if I did feel the English didn't deserve a win against Italy!)

KP
what is the design for ? (what use)
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

I was approached a few months ago by a well-to-do individual who had read "AfterShock" and he broached the idea of having me develop a marine steam engine and boiler similar to that which was used in the 'Skolka' - the boat in the story. He had found a vessel which he is having refurbished and he wanted to use steam power, but he discovered that there aren't a lot of steam plants out there which are suitable for his requirements.

To make a long story short, I contracted to design an engine, boiler and modern controls for the gentleman. I will provide him with one set of drawings and he agreed not to sell either drawings or working examples made from those drawings. Meanwhile I agreed to give him a period of five years before I try to sell either those specific drawings or working models of engines and boilers built from those drawings. He has also asked to remain anonymous for now.

I'm hoping to use the funds I earn from his project to design and build a tiny car of somewhat innovative design. (I was watching 'MythBusters' - got a brainwave and a model of the car works great - lol)

I should be writing (regularly) again in late June or early July - I hope, but in the mean time I did spend an hour on 'Thor's Child' last night, so I am still making some progress.

KP

(Edit) - that should readlate July or early August - I glanced at the wrong calendar!
Last edited by GBLW on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K Pelle aka GBLW