Thor'sChild-Ch16- response to an e-mail

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

GBLW
Mi'Shara

Thor'sChild-Ch16- response to an e-mail

Post by GBLW »

I received an anonymous e-mail that ripped into me for Tor's stand re the US military, etc. and I quote; "You make him sound like a little scared rabbit who is prejudiced, even while he wails about prejudice and by the way, the US military IS the best in the world."

Tor is fifteen, immature, idealistic and scared silly. From your e-mail, I think you caught that though. The characters I write about have feet of clay, sorry!

As for the US military, they are wonderfully well equipped and relatively well trained, but you might ask some other military forces such as the Israeli Mousad(sp?) what they think of the US training methods, procedures and so on.

I write fiction for gosh sake, not true to life historical novels. My characters have to have some faults, or why would they get into enough trouble to be interesting, right?

K Pelle.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
Bigwind
Initiate

Re: Thor'sChild-Ch16- response to an e-mail

Post by Bigwind »

You have to realise that the whole of the US population is brainwashed into believing that the US military is the best in the world. I live in a village in the UK and, during the 1st Gulf war, a US serviceman would not believe that the US had accidently killed UK forces in a "friendly fire" incident. Even when his sergent, who lived in my village, told him that it was true, he wouldn't accept it. This is the mentality of the US, "We are the best, we are always right, everything should be done our way. Anyone who doesn't agree with this is either a commie, a Muslin terrorist or just plain stupid.".
You can't fight it so just ignore them.
I'm not completely mad, there are bits missing!
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Bigwind wrote:You have to realise that the whole of the US population is brainwashed into believing that the US military is the best in the world. <<snip>> This is the mentality of the US, "We are the best, we are always right, everything should be done our way. Anyone who doesn't agree with this is either a commie, a Muslin terrorist or just plain stupid.".
You can't fight it so just ignore them.
Now that isn't the total truth either. The US is a dang big country with a lot of diverse personalities in it. I've met many who think the sun rises and sets on the crack of Hollywood's butt and spend their money filling the US advertisement industry's pocket book. However I've also met a lot of US citizens who feel the whole of US society is in need of much improvement. The same thing can be said for some aspect or another of any country or culture though, so don't just lay a guilt trip on the US.

None of that is what I am setting out to do in the story and it isn't something that I mean to promote. As a matter of fact, I used the US military as a scapegoat for two reasons - #1; it's a big target, known to many for its self promotion and #2; it ties in to the original story written by Fel.

My actual reason for writing the original response to that e-mail is that it was sent anonymously. You see I don't mind having people disagree with me, I just think that those who do should have the guts to 'stand up and say it to my face' or at least enough guts to sign their name to the dang e-mail.

kp
K Pelle aka GBLW
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

GBLW wrote: Tor is fifteen, immature, idealistic and scared silly. From your e-mail, I think you caught that though. The characters I write about have feet of clay, sorry!
I write fiction for gosh sake, not true to life historical novels. My characters have to have some faults, or why would they get into enough trouble to be interesting, right?

K Pelle.
I was starting to get a bit worried about his heavy prejudice myself, but your explanation relieves my fears of a woefully narrow-minded novel. Thanks for the explanation and a very amusing story!
-DM
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

I don't really think narrow mindedness is a particular fault of mine. You see to my way of thinking, A mind is a lot like a umbrella - it doesn't function well unless it's open.
K Pelle aka GBLW
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

There are a lot of us that think the US is in serious need of improvement. A broken economy, radicals on both sides of the political spectrum, and an unwillingness to compromise have crippled my country. All I can say is, without getting into politics, if a certain radical wing gets elected, I may be applying for asylum in the UK or Canada...