TELEPATHIC AUSSIES

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

SYED
Child of Niami

TELEPATHIC AUSSIES

Post by SYED »

WITH the gene originating from england, whats the chance someone there is one.

also will the faey be joining the cricket team.
.S.A.M.K.M
dellstart
Child of Niami

Re: TELEPATHIC AUSSIES

Post by dellstart »

SYED wrote:WITH the gene originating from england, whats the chance someone there is one.

also will the faey be joining the cricket team.
Lol.

nah , mate , you can take em , cause you pommie poofters need all the help you can get. :wink:

Ponting and the boys stand alone , no Faey will ever be worthy of donning the holy Baggy Green. :!: :!: :!:
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Based on the evidence in "Subjugation", that the Faey refugees settled on Earth around Scotland and Northern England, I would say that the regions with likely Telepathic Terrans would be Nova Scotia and New Zealand, as well as the UK. Of course, migrants from the UK spread all over the world, not just the Empire. There is even a significant Welsh speaking community in Patagonia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Argentine

To be honest, Dellstart and I have discussed making one of our characters telepathic, but so far resisted. Who knows where our writing will take us? Assimilation was supposed to be a short story! :lol:
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Mad Monk wrote:..... Assimilation was supposed to be a short story! :lol:
I hope the muse-bug bites both of you and the story keeps going on :twisted:

Edit:is it Done yet?is it Done yet?is it Done yet?is it Done yet?is it Done yet?is it Done yet?Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!

is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet?
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

zedd wrote:
Mad Monk wrote:..... Assimilation was supposed to be a short story! :lol:
I hope the muse-bug bites both of you and the story keeps going on :twisted:

Edit:is it Done yet?is it Done yet?is it Done yet?is it Done yet?is it Done yet?is it Done yet?Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!

is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet? is the next chapter Done yet?
Honestly , I/we kinda envisioned like three to four pages , at tops.look where that got us :lol:

A lot of time the story just writes itself and ends up going into directions , we would have never even imagined.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Mad Monk wrote:Based on the evidence in "Subjugation", that the Faey refugees settled on Earth around Scotland and Northern England, I would say that the regions with likely Telepathic Terrans would be Nova Scotia and New Zealand, as well as the UK.
I'm sorry, but I have to jump all over your idea that the Scots in Canada settled 'mostly' in Nova Scotia. In the first place the Hudsons Bay Company had a policy of hiring as many Scots as possible and the Hudsons Bay posts were spread all across Canada - the Scotsmen who manned them often intermarried with native women. In fact I would say that there would be a good chance that Scot's genes would be found amongst a dominant number of Canada's Metis, who by definition are a mixed race of Native and early fur trading personnel.

In the second place Vancouver Island was a bastion of Scot and English immigrants - Craigdaroch Castle was one of many of the local buildings which were designed and built by Scotsmen.

On top of that, when the two Trans-Canadian railroads were built a tremendous number of the engineers, managers and supervisory people were Scotsmen. Most of them settled here in Canada.

I'll bet you can't find a large town in Canada that doesn't have a few Scot genes hidden away in the general population.

GBLW
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

GBLW wrote:
Mad Monk wrote:Based on the evidence in "Subjugation", that the Faey refugees settled on Earth around Scotland and Northern England, I would say that the regions with likely Telepathic Terrans would be Nova Scotia and New Zealand, as well as the UK.
I'm sorry, but I have to jump all over your idea that the Scots in Canada settled 'mostly' in Nova Scotia. In the first place the Hudsons Bay Company had a policy of hiring as many Scots as possible and the Hudsons Bay posts were spread all across Canada - the Scotsmen who manned them often intermarried with native women. In fact I would say that there would be a good chance that Scot's genes would be found amongst a dominant number of Canada's Metis, who by definition are a mixed race of Native and early fur trading personnel.
I don't deny that Scottish people settled in many places, but Nova Scotia was settled during the Lowland clearances, when people from southern Scotland were moved off the land that they had farmed (but was owned by their Lairds) and replaced by sheep. Assuming the genes were mainly from Southern Scotland and Northern England, like explained in Subjugation, I stand by my statement. Later waves of migration would have come from the Highland clearances, and would have settled further and further west.

The Hudsons Bay Company did recruit heavily from Scotland, but they tended to recruit Islanders from the Hebredies and Orkneys who were used to living in relatively isolated places. This meant that they had the skills to make it on their own.

Traditionally the peoples of Scotland were very much tied to their clans and inter-marrying between clans was rare, although dynastic marriage and wife-stealing could have spread the genes further. (I'm deliberately not using the term Scot, because that was just a tribe of immigrants from Ireland)
In the second place Vancouver Island was a bastion of Scot and English immigrants - Craigdaroch Castle was one of many of the local buildings which were designed and built by Scotsmen.

On top of that, when the two Trans-Canadian railroads were built a tremendous number of the engineers, managers and supervisory people were Scotsmen. Most of them settled here in Canada.

I'll bet you can't find a large town in Canada that doesn't have a few Scot genes hidden away in the general population.

GBLW
The builders and engineers tended to come from the areas near Glasgow and Edinburgh. Some of these could have been people who moved there after the clearances. I would like to think that in the "Subjugation" universe at least some of the "Scottish Engineering Genius" was due to the genetic based engineering ability of the Karrines, as shown by Jason and Myleena. It does not even have to be tied to the gene for telepathy, so the descendants of famous engineers would not be dragged off to Karis as the new Karrines.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Och Mon, naw yerr brringin' oop th' clans. :lol:

Actually I had an uncle who was a lowland Scot, but also an engineer, who ended up in the middle of the Alberta prairies, married to a woman of Swedish descent. Another 'uncle' -- who happened to be from the same area Fel mentioned -- emigrated to Canada and married into a Metis family. Really, all I'm saying is that intermarriage blurs genetic lines over time and that making broad statements about areas of settlement of a specific genetic group is an arguable situation.

As an example, although I can trace my father's family tree back to Sweden in the early 1300's, we also have side branches due to marriages to Scots, Dane and German women. I lost all trace of my father's family tree sometime during the 100 Year War, but that trace was broken due to damage done during WWII bombing raids. Once again I'm saying that when you get into genetics, people are mixtures and broad statements can often be argued because of specifics. In my case, although I list myself officially as a Canadian of Swedish descent, I'm really a mongrel whose forebears belonged to various European 'racial' groups.

GBLW
K Pelle aka GBLW
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

I agree that I was talking in broad terms, individual specific cases would vary greatly.

One other thing worth noting, is that in most Genetic studies, as opposed to Genealogical studies based on records show that between 10-20% of people are not related to their "fathers" of record. This includes historic cases as well as todays, with its arguably looser morals. In addition to this there was the recognized "Bastard".

Indeed, being a "bastard" was a recognized position, which meant you could inherit if there was no-one from the pure line left. In the 17th and 18th Century, "Fitz" was added to the name of various kings and princes to identify their illegitimate children, e.g. Fitzjames, Fitzclarence and Fitzroy. The Bastard of Faukanburg was an important commander during the Wars of the Roses. William the Conquerer was also known as William the Bastard, and the English royal standard with three leopards on it was adopted by Henry 1 in recognition of the fact. (The Leopard was regarded in medieval times to be the bastard offspring of a Lioness and a Pard - If your coat of arms has a leopard or a bend sinister on it, the odds are you have illegitimate ancestry)

GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

To be honest I've never even checked for a family coat of arms - my ancestors were farmers, miners, blacksmiths, sailors, etc. - just common folk. The only person in my family tree that might have had a coat of arms would have been my grandfather on my mother's side who was supposedly related to the royal family of Sweden in some way - just another commoner with dreams of glory. :lol:

As for the comment about the 'bar sinister' - are you telling me that my former girlfriend's son, born when we were both teenagers, should use the name Fitzpelle? :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:
K Pelle aka GBLW
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

GBLW wrote:To be honest I've never even checked for a family coat of arms - my ancestors were farmers, miners, blacksmiths, sailors, etc. - just common folk. The only person in my family tree that might have had a coat of arms would have been my grandfather on my mother's side who was supposedly related to the royal family of Sweden in some way - just another commoner with dreams of glory. :lol:
Well, a lot depends on where your family comes from. Having ancestors from Scotland, you are probably entitled to wear a tartan, even though that is relatively recent (most are 19th Century - don't believe "Braveheart") I honestly don't know about clan coats of arms.

If your ancestors were from Italy or Central or Eastern Europe, the odds of a coat of arms increase significantly. In Poland at one stage, a third of the population were slachta, or nobility. In Polish people emigrating to the West in the immediate post-war period, this was about 80% - The Communists didn't want anyone who had completed high school left. Teachers, Policemen, Officers, Doctors, Nurses and many more were allowed to escape or were killed or "re-educated"

-For the Americans, the "Polacks" who are the butts of jokes were originally the peasant farmers, including many Jews who were forced from their land in the late 19th century and early 20th century, mostly from the regions of Poland that were occupied by the Russians until 1918. (Poland was swallowed up by Austria, Prussia and Russia between 1795 and 1918)

As for the comment about the 'bar sinister' - are you telling me that my former girlfriend's son, born when we were both teenagers, should use the name Fitzpelle? :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:
I am sure you are a prince amongst men. :lol: What he calls himself is up to him. :lol: :P :lol:

ilox
Sorcerer

Post by ilox »

Mad Monk wrote:I am sure you are a prince amongst men.
Certainly he's a Prince of the Pen, from the High-born Houses too ;)
Cheers, Ian
"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter.
Some day I intend reading it." ~ unknown
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

ilox wrote:
Mad Monk wrote:I am sure you are a prince amongst men.
Certainly he's a Prince of the Pen, from the High-born Houses too ;)
Umm, make that Fitzpen, maybe ??
K Pelle aka GBLW