Demon's Bane, chapter 14. *sniff*

GBLW
Mi'Shara

Re: Demon's Bane, chapter 14. *sniff*

Post by GBLW »

kal wrote: if fel wanted to be published anyway lol!
I think everyone should realize one small point -- legally, placing a written document online in any form is considered to be a feat of publication. In other words, Fel already is a published author, just not a 'mainstream author,' which is what 'dead tree' publishers would prefer us to regard as the ultimate goal of any writer.

Speaking as someone who was first 'published' in magazine format in the early 1960s it is much more fun (and a lot easier) to be 'published' online. Posting a story online actually brings you closer to your readers and feedback is actually considered to be part of your 'paycheck' -- it doesn't put groceries on the table, but it sure does feel good to post something and have feedback inside of hours instead of months (or even years).

Now I can't really compare myself to Fel, because I write in an older style and a different genre than he does, but I can tell you that if he were to try for 'publication,' his work would be considered relatively easy to market because he writes in a style that has become extremely popular. Hollywood and television have brought both 'D&D' and 'Fuzzy' characterizations into the limelight and made them extremely popular to a vast audience. However, there are various hoops to jump through to be 'published' and 'recognized' by the 'dictators' of the 'publishing empire' and woe to the writer who steps on the wrong set of toes. Copyright lawyers are not known to be sympathetic.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

and you see straight into the heart of my point. jumping through the hoops of bringing a full length novel to print is extensive. some people know how hard it is and some people, like myself, can only guess at it. publishing yourself in this manner also brings a large satisfaction of the instant feedback, as you say GBLW, that every author hopes to hear to give themselves the inspiration to continue in their love of writing. i have never counted an author as a personal friend but of all my wandering on the internet that is what i have picked up of the psychology of professional writers anyway.
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

I like Fel's stories just as they are. The dead tree publishing would edit the stories down to 3/4ths to 2/3rds (or worse) of what we currently receive. Plots would be changed. Timelines reworked, Characters cut, whole chapters deleted. No thanks. I like reading my stories as the Author intends them, not how the Editor does.
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

ettoren wrote:I like Fel's stories just as they are. The dead tree publishing would edit the stories down to 3/4ths to 2/3rds (or worse) of what we currently receive. Plots would be changed. Timelines reworked, Characters cut, whole chapters deleted. No thanks. I like reading my stories as the Author intends them, not how the Editor does.
i agree
ThisAndThat1
Sorcerer

Post by ThisAndThat1 »

I agree as well - but then again I am cheep and free is great.

In this case - the work product is very nice.
"Molon labe!" (Come and get them!) King Leonidas of Sparta, when asked to lay down his force's arms.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

If tyranny & oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. James Madison

I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

“The great object is, that every man be armed. [...] Every one who is able may have a gun.” Patrick Henry
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Well, just an FYI for those who are interested.

There is a printing house in La Vergne, TN, called Lightning Source that is, according to my source, one of the places Amazon uses to print off single copies of books when they're ordered. I have no idea what the costs would be, nor the response time. They do, however, print from electronic files, so there is no editor to muck things up.

I have informed one author and one bookstore owner about them, and have received thanks from both.

For what it's worth ...
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
stretch
Novice

Post by stretch »

I loved this series, I would consider it one of the best fantasy series that I have read and just wish that it was available in print so that people who don't like to read on computer/e-reader could read Fel's work.
Gaisa
Novice

Post by Gaisa »

stretch wrote:I loved this series, I would consider it one of the best fantasy series that I have read and just wish that it was available in print so that people who don't like to read on computer/e-reader could read Fel's work.
As much as you desire that, that would breach Wizard of the Coast's copyright and Fel would be in for a hell of a nasty lawsuit
G
dbryant78244
Talent

Post by dbryant78244 »

I first read the story of Tarrin Kael back in 1998. It was a compelling and gripping story in a genre that was and still is lacking in exploration. I lost this story line for several years and tried to find it again for the next 10 years. I was so surprised and excited when I found it again and found that he had written many more stories of the same caliber. As a reader I am profoundly happy that he only publishes online, but as a customer I would gladly spend the money to purchase his works. This series was a needed resource for readers of SciFi/Fantasy around the world.
cbate
Novice

Post by cbate »

I ran across Fel's writing about seven years ago and found all of his stories compelling, interesting, and gripping. I find that his writing is on par with many of the "dead tree" authors I hav also read. I truely enjoy the plot twists and charactor development that Fel employs and, in my humble opinion (for what THAT'S worth), Fel is a top notch author. I am usually anxiously waiting for the next chapter to be released for what ever story he is currently writing. Although I sometimes get a little impatient when he stops one story in order to develop another, I remember that I am reading this for free and I want to thank Fel for his efforts. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to pull the stories out like he does and I want Fel to know that I really appreciate his work.