Re: Tribulation, Chapter 1.

Post by DrGonzo »

Thanks Fel
Magnus
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

jumps up and down !yay! huge thanks mate!!
Javna
Katzh-dashi

Post by Javna »

Sweet another story . R.O.F.V.H Ty ty
There's a fine line between genius and madness.
Me I crossed the line long ago
LADY MINX
Initiate

Post by LADY MINX »

Thank you could not wait for this one
Life is a challenge ! How can you resist !
andy_t_roo
Sorcerer

Post by andy_t_roo »

Spoiler
Show
“I’m building it now,” he answered. “It’s not going to be unjammable, but I have to start somewhere. It’s been a little tricky trying to get metaphased plasma into a carrier. It’s not going to run on microwaves.”
“Incompatible?” he asked, to which Gerann nodded.
“I can’t get multispectral phased plasma into a single phased carrier. I think that’s why the Consortium uses the type of plasma power they do. Instead of building two different systems, they just stuck with what they could broadcast and tried to make it the best they could.”
“But you think you can broadcast metaphased?”
He nodded again. “I can broadcast Karinne metaphased,” he said confidently. “I already did the math. The prototype I’m building uses our technology, not theirs, and we’re more advanced in power generation and power management than they are. I can’t piggyback plasma on a microwave signal, but I can piggyback it into a Teryon carrier. Teryons are already multidimensonal, so they can support piggybacking modulated energy that exists in multiple quantum states simultaneously, where microwaves can’t.”
Greymist: Fixed the spoiler implementation

its quotes like this that make fel a great science fiction writer - other writers would be content with "year, we can do power transition like the bad guys", here a moderately complicated pseudo-scientific explanation is offered, as to why things are the way they are, and it is consistent with the science introduced way back in the first book. Kudos to you fel.

ps, why bother jamming, you should just go and tap into it with your own receiver; just have a grav-cannon which charges off transmitted power, and stick the biggest power receiver you can manage on it, and tell it to fire as often as it can. -- why jam when you can use the enemies power for your own good (and knowing the exact limits of their power generation capabilities might be nice to know also -- if you seed 10 grav canons and they end up firing twice per second, before they stop receiving power, you know just how much power you have to jam.
fear1222
Sorcerer

Post by fear1222 »

I am so happy right now!!
TStyle
Sorcerer

Post by TStyle »

Thanks Fel!
I've been wanting to read this since the end of Unification.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Three Cheers for Fel!!! Hip Hip Horray!!! :D
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

Yay!

And now back to rereading Firestaff...
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

andy_t_roo wrote:
***Spoiler***
its quotes like this that make fel a great science fiction writer - other writers would be content with "year, we can do power transition like the bad guys", here a moderately complicated pseudo-scientific explanation is offered, as to why things are the way they are, and it is consistent with the science introduced way back in the first book. Kudos to you fel.

ps, why bother jamming, you should just go and tap into it with your own receiver; just have a grav-cannon which charges off transmitted power, and stick the biggest power receiver you can manage on it, and tell it to fire as often as it can. -- why jam when you can use the enemies power for your own good (and knowing the exact limits of their power generation capabilities might be nice to know also -- if you seed 10 grav canons and they end up firing twice per second, before they stop receiving power, you know just how much power you have to jam.
thet not the place for it
thet should be in spoilers
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

I've been waiting for this for soooo long. It's great that it's here. And it's a great read. Now to wait for chapter 2.

Fel, any idea how long this story is going to be? Six chapters? Eight? A dozen? A hundred? Hints gratefully accepted.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Post by lagomilo »

YOU DA MAN, Thank you Fel!!!!!!!
Never_Fear
Novice

Post by Never_Fear »

Thx Fel

Just gave me another reason to read through the series again
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Great chapter, very enjoyable. Thanks Fel. :D
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Sancria
Da'Shar

Post by Sancria »

First of all, thank you very much for this wonderful chapter, I've been waiting what feels like AGES for it. Length was great and writing was superb as always.

I especially liked the description of the battle, onesided as it were, and how true to the theme of the Legion it was. Very nice. One thing in particular sticks in my mind, using the meteors as bowling balls. Using fragile rocks that could dump all their kinetic energy into a ship was stroke of genius.

However the best part at least for me, was the exploration of the cybernetic interfaces the researchers were doing at the Academy. In many stories, civilizations discover a "superior" tech and stop there. Your stories are always looking for another way to use technology, take it one step further, and improve upon it. The story feels more alive because there is an unending quest to be the best. The example of the broadcast power generators is one I particularly like. (Although Andy brought up a valid point as well).

In any case, keep up the good work, the characters are multidimensional, the plot twists and turns respectably and the action is frantic enough to visualize.

J
I'd gladly travel back in time, except I would have to wait longer for the next chapter of Fel's work...sorry, pass.