Shadow Walker, chapter 21.

Fel
Weavespinner

Shadow Walker, chapter 21.

Post by Fel »

Sorry it's late, but I'm having laptop issues, and once I got the computer up, I just got it up here ASAP before something went fubar.

It hasn't been spellchecked, and I was intending to put about half a page more on it, but we'll just work with what we have and I'll put that half page in the next chapter.

So, ignore the typos in this chapter.

As far as the laptop goes, I think my AC power adapter is going out on me. Every time I plug up the adapter when the laptop is off, the laptop turns itself on automatically and it's lost its BIOS settings, but once you load it up with default BIOS settings, the computer operates normally and will reboot normally with saved BIOS settings. If the laptop is already on and you plug up the adapter, it has no problems at all. The battery charges as normal and the laptop performs normally. It seems that so long as I do not plug up the AC adapter while the laptop is off, it works as normal.

So, techheads, am I right that it's the AC adapter, or could it be the flash memory where the BIOS settings are saved? And is there a way I can identify the problem without going out and shelling out $100 I don't have for a new AC power adapter?
Attachments
walker21.doc
(90 KiB) Downloaded 2050 times
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
ralbloke
Sorcerer

Re: Shadow Walker, chapter 21.

Post by ralbloke »

Thanks Fel

You just made my Sunday

Ralph
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

thank you fell.
loading it on my ereader the moment i reboot the computer
Byte Storm
Initiate

Post by Byte Storm »

Judging from the description, it sounds like the motherboard itself. If it was the adapter, it would generally happen all the time. But the easiest (and cheapest) way to test is find someone that has the same type of power supply, and try it out.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Thanks For the chapter Fel.
wizzo
Sorcerer

Post by wizzo »

Thanks Fel
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Thanks for feeding us shadow monsters :twisted:
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
zeekgenateer
Novice

Post by zeekgenateer »

It sounds like the CMOS battery is dead or dying. The CMOS battery helps hold the BIOS settings in a memory chip which must stay powered to save its information. CMOS batteries are usually the one sided flat batteries that are rarely used. Your CMOS battery may be accessible if you open your laptop up, but it might also be a bitch to get at it.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

zeekgenateer wrote:It sounds like the CMOS battery is dead or dying. The CMOS battery helps hold the BIOS settings in a memory chip which must stay powered to save its information. CMOS batteries are usually the one sided flat batteries that are rarely used. Your CMOS battery may be accessible if you open your laptop up, but it might also be a bitch to get at it.
Easy way to test this:
Turn off laptop. unplug power adapter. Remove main battery (and secondary batteries such as those that may slot in the CDROM slot). Leave for 20 minutes. Replace main battery. turn system on

If your CMOS battery is dead, you likely will have lost some bios settings and/or time will be off.

Troubleshooting will be a biteasier if we knew the make and model of the computer.

Pm if you want.

-M
canisd
Weavespinner

Post by canisd »

Fel,

I would think what zeekgenateer and miraborn have said could be the problem.

BTW - I have been enjoying the stories quite a bit, even if I never say it. :)

Now back to the shadows for me
D'ni botsahv prehniv

The ending has not yet been written
Cougar2k2
Sui'Kun

Post by Cougar2k2 »

WHOOT!! Another fix of Shadow Walker... Thanks a ton.
"I can control my destiny, but not my fate. Destiny means there are opportunities to turn right or left, but fate is a one-way street. I believe we all have the choice as to whether we fulfil our destiny, but our fate is sealed."
--Paulo Coelho
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

ralbloke wrote:Thanks Fel

You just made my Sunday

Ralph
dittos the above..thanks man.
Byte Storm
Initiate

Post by Byte Storm »

I doubt it is the CMOS Battery, as Fel stated that he can power it on and off with the Battery only, but when he plugs the power supply in only while the computer is off will this problem occur. If it is the CMOS Battery, it's the strangest one I have ever heard of.
physicalard
Initiate

Post by physicalard »

The fact that the cmos data is erased and the computer spontaneously starts up when the ac adapter is plugged in makes me wonder if there is a electrical short-circuit somewhere in the connections to the ac adapter.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

First, thanks for another chapter, Fel. Well done.

Secondly:
physicalard wrote:The fact that the cmos data is erased and the computer spontaneously starts up when the ac adapter is plugged in makes me wonder if there is a electrical short-circuit somewhere in the connections to the ac adapter.
I had exactly the same thought, since the CMOS doesn't cause a problem during a normal on/off cycle. I had something similar happen some years ago on an NEC laptop and the techie who repaired it discovered that I had a frayed wire in the lead to the AC adapter. Since it was a new machine it was 'fixed' on warranty.

kp
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/