Spirit Walker, chapter 13.

freethrow
Sorcerer

Re: Spirit Walker, chapter 13.

Post by freethrow »

kd7mvs wrote:
Steve W wrote:
Doc Spratley wrote:Ah, the good old days (not).
Good thing you said "not". If you had said you were nostalgic for 300 baud, I would have had to open a can of Ledwell for you. :wink:
300 baud? Why, ya young pup, hack, hack 150 baud was allus good 'nuff, dang, sure beat sending packs 'o cards through the mails cough, wheeze

Mainframes, shur 'nuff, wit' 12k memory, card-driven, state-of-the-art, that's what my dad managed, after overseeing the transition from programming by moving wires.

Me? First computer, Kaypro 2X; first I programed on, PDP 11/02, remember drooling over the Apple][2e, and snearing at PETs...

And now I've networked the building I live in, and am looking into piggybacking the POTS on the two unused pairs of the cat5 cable. OK, not state-of-the-art, Mom's 82 and POTS she understands.
First computer purchase was a Kaypro here as well. CPM operating system. Two 5 1/4 floppy drives and no hard drive. Came with Perfect Writer and Perfect Cal and I can't remember the simple database program that was with it? Most programming I did was done with DBASE back then. Serviced me fine for several years. Still have it and still works, though mostly as a doorstop in the cellar now though. :)

Looked like this for those who never saw one. It was a great little computer and cheap for that era.
http://www.z80.eu/kaypro4-84-sml.jpg
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Trekkie wrote:
Fawks wrote: Now I'm up to a Intel quad core 2.4Ghz, 8GB ram, 4 HD's totaling 1.9TB's, Dual nVidia 8800 GTS 640MB video, X-Fi sound, three monitors, 850 watt power supply and Vista64. The Vista64 is the only thing that really sucks. But, hey, is M$ so I can't complain too loudly or they will put out an even buggier (is that a word) patch.
You do know there are alternatives to M$.
Yeah there are alternatives. I'm hoping that Apple will get smart and release a Retail/OEM version of their OS for the build your own crowd. I have tried Linux a few times. Never can get linux to work right. :? I want to use it as a file/print server and I can never get that to set up correctly.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

what distro ?

i work with linux daily i can help you if you need help seting up things. :D
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

I recommend Debian, it's what I use. Ubuntu is better for some folks, especially as a desktop.

Nicolai
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

I personly prefer :

desktop : mandriva
high end server : debian
low end server : gentoo
Steve W
Novice

Post by Steve W »

kd7mvs wrote:
Steve W wrote:
Doc Spratley wrote:Ah, the good old days (not).
Good thing you said "not". If you had said you were nostalgic for 300 baud, I would have had to open a can of Ledwell for you. :wink:
300 baud? Why, ya young pup, hack, hack 150 baud was allus good 'nuff, dang, sure beat sending packs 'o cards through the mails cough, wheeze

Mainframes, shur 'nuff, wit' 12k memory, card-driven, state-of-the-art, that's what my dad managed, after overseeing the transition from programming by moving wires.

Me? First computer, Kaypro 2X; first I programed on, PDP 11/02, remember drooling over the Apple][2e, and snearing at PETs...

And now I've networked the building I live in, and am looking into piggybacking the POTS on the two unused pairs of the cat5 cable. OK, not state-of-the-art, Mom's 82 and POTS she understands.
Damn, son! I didn't think I was old enough to be your dad.

I didn't see punch cards 'till freshman year in college. Back in high school we had a "state of the art" ASR 33 Teletype with paper tape reader and tape punch. It was connected to the GE Timesharing service, which offered GE FORTRAN.

We also had a second generation General Precision LGP-21. This was a transistorized version of the very first personal computer, the vacuum tube LGP-30. It was shared by four high schools, and spent 11 weeks at ours. The memory was 4K x 32Bits. We programmed it using the machine language.

When I graduated from college, I went to work for Martin Marietta Aerospace, where we simulated the guidance system for SAM-D (now known as The Patriot) on an EAI 8800 hybrid computer system (http://archive.computerhistory.org/reso ... 646095.pdf). Your comment about POTS and moving wires reminded me of that. To you, POTS probably means Plain Old Telephone Service. A POT is also the nickname for a Potentiometer, a kind of variable resistor. Potentiometers are used to perform multiplication in a analog computer. A complex simulation requires scores of pots. The POTS on this multi-million dollar computer system were motorized and digitally controlled.

When I was in college, memory cost $1.00/word (today that would be $0.25/Byte). I do not long for the old days.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

I didn't see punch cards 'till freshman year in college. Back in high school we had a "state of the art" ASR 33 Teletype with paper tape reader and tape punch. It was connected to the GE Timesharing service, which offered GE FORTRAN.
Well, guy, I was one of the people who serviced those teletypes, and connected the dang things to telephone lines, then to microwave towers to send your signals across country to the computer. And that is the actual truth! :lol: :lol:

I'm also a fellow who considers today a good day compared to what those days were like.
(I just wish I could still do the PHYSICAL things I did then. The 50s and 60s were FUN!)
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

Steve W wrote: Damn, son! I didn't think I was old enough to be your dad.
Well, probably not, unless you are at least [Function: 48+(age lost virginity)] years old; Dad was 35 when I was born, he'd be 83 this year 'cept he only made it to 75, something about the combination of smoking way too much through the early '60s & growing up downwind of the Oregon City Papermill [Environmental Pollutants were not a concern in 1925, I can assure you!]

Dad was Systems Analyst for Salem, OR circa 1969-1971, would have been there a lot longer except the new City Manager type wanted someone with a certain degree in place, instead of someone IBM recommended and the staff respected. <much kvetching snipped out, not the place nor time for a diatribe about the hide-bound City of Salem, Oregon>

Hrumph, right, who's forum is this, anyway?

Fel, good job! Keep it up! Ace your finals! Blow the faculty's minds with your brilliance! And then get back to writing! :lol:
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

gnume wrote:what distro ?

I'm not tied to a particular distro. I want one that will actually work well with M$ Winders NTFS, networks and computers.

I always had problems getting the computers to see file shares on the distros that I tried. Also, I dont want to have to reformat my 4x300Gb raid5 NTFS partition that has my 40+Gb of Alaska vacation photos and other photos, Installation files (I think I may still have install files for my old SoundBlaster AWE sound card in this directory), 30Gb of MP3's Plus the MP4 files of ripped DVD's.
www.weavespinner.net

Fawks
Sui'Kun

Post by Fawks »

zedd wrote:I have no idea why, but my personal computer won't download the files from the forum. So it's 4AM, i need to get up in 4 hours, and i will get my work laptop, turn it on, download the file and read it. :D

Many thanks Fel.
Have you tried using FireFox or Safari to download the files?
www.weavespinner.net

miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Fawks wrote:

I'm not tied to a particular distro. I want one that will actually work well with M$ Winders NTFS, networks and computers.

I always had problems getting the computers to see file shares on the distros that I tried. Also, I dont want to have to reformat my 4x300Gb raid5 NTFS partition that has my 40+Gb of Alaska vacation photos and other photos, Installation files (I think I may still have install files for my old SoundBlaster AWE sound card in this directory), 30Gb of MP3's Plus the MP4 files of ripped DVD's.
Well, that poses more of a problem. NTFS and Linux do not usually play well together natively, especially with NTFS 5. Further, did you use hardware RAID, or did you use Windows' internal drive management system to create the RAID volume? If the latter, you're pretty much stuck with Windows.

Now, on the flip side, if you can use a windows based file server, you _might_ be able to transplant the array into that box and then mount the network share by using Samba under Linux... perhaps overkill?
beastkiller18
Initiate

Post by beastkiller18 »

oh my a new chapter just perfect :mrgreen:
Out of the smoldering embers and ashes rises The Phoenix http://www.flash-mind.com/images/media/ ... reborn.jpg
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

miraborn wrote:
Fawks wrote:

Well, that poses more of a problem. NTFS and Linux do not usually play well together natively, especially with NTFS 5. Further, did you use hardware RAID, or did you use Windows' internal drive management system to create the RAID volume? If the latter, you're pretty much stuck with Windows.

Now, on the flip side, if you can use a windows based file server, you _might_ be able to transplant the array into that box and then mount the network share by using Samba under Linux... perhaps overkill?
if you want read only it is no big problem
but read/write is
Fawks
Sui'Kun

Post by Fawks »

gnume wrote: if you want read only it is no big problem
but read/write is
Read write is what I'm looking for. The main reason that I want to get a file server setup, is because I do not want my other member of the family getting into the network and deleting files without permission. I like the ability of giving someone a read permission but not a write or delete permission. Also I want to be able to keep some files hidden from some users completely.
www.weavespinner.net

J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Why not use one of the Disk Drive utilities like Partition commander to change it from NTFS to FAT32 and then use Linux to create a SAMBA server that would allow you to set any type of permission set on the files/directories that you want to. Then you don't have to deal with trying to get linux to play nice with NTFS and it's format. Almost all linux systems can handle being a SAMBA server easily. SAMBA gets its name from the SMB protocol that microsoft networking uses and so even if you are using Vista/XP/Windows 2000/Win9x it will think it's talking to a Windows server. I have also set things up before so that the Linux box reformats its TCP/IP frame responses so that network scanners can't tell that they are examining a linux box and not a Windows one.

What you want can easily be done. Find a local linux geek and ask him. They tend to lurk in computer labs at colleges, computer stores, and bookstores where the computer books are. Also you can find them in many many chat rooms on the internet.

J-Man5