Spirit Walker, chapter 13.

Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Spirit Walker, chapter 13.

Post by Lochar »

heh, does no one remember the account i specifically created for doing that way back?
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Doc Spratley
Initiate

Post by Doc Spratley »

Greymist wrote:
I have to laugh at you saying "ah, to be that young again". Fel is an OLD fart, just ask him ;)
Be careful....there is a lot of us old farts around. Who the hell has more time than us to "surf"....I remember when all we have were BBS's to communicate....Ah, the good old days (not).
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Doc Spratley wrote:
Greymist wrote:
I have to laugh at you saying "ah, to be that young again". Fel is an OLD fart, just ask him ;)
Be careful....there is a lot of us old farts around. Who the hell has more time than us to "surf"....I remember when all we have were BBS's to communicate....Ah, the good old days (not).

Ah I still remember my first computer, Commodore Vic 20
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Steve W
Novice

Post by Steve W »

Doc Spratley wrote:Ah, the good old days (not).
Good thing you said "not". If you had said you were nostalgic for 300 baud, I would have had to open a can of Ledwell for you. :wink:
LADY MINX
Initiate

Post by LADY MINX »

yipeeee at last!
I know I am impatient but it is so good.
freethrow
Sorcerer

Post by freethrow »

Doc Spratley wrote:
Greymist wrote:

Ahhh, the good old BBS's. Back then we thought it was soooo cooool to be talking to someone via the keyboard that was all the way across the country or being able to FTP an entire 56K file. AMAZING. All by laying the receiver of the phone into the modem cradle. WOW!!! :D
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Well, BBS seemed almost like magic . . . . . . way back then, didn't it? :lol:
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
jnormg
Novice

Post by jnormg »

Yeah, the good old days. Remember the 1200 baud external modems? My first computer was a Heathkit PDP-11/03 with 32 kilobytes of memory and two 8-inch floppy drives. I had to learn to program in assembly language to fit everything in memory. (For you youngsters, assembly language was far more efficient in terms of memory usage.) Besides, I felt I had better command of what I wanted the machine to do. Later on I graduated to PC clones and C language, then finally to Visual Basic. All of it was self-taught. I never had a single course on computers while I was earning my BSEE back in 1961 or later in my professional career. So, the rest of you--enjoy. :D

Norm Gober
Cedar Hill, Texas
Doc Spratley
Initiate

Post by Doc Spratley »

GBLW wrote:Well, BBS seemed almost like magic . . . . . . way back then, didn't it? :lol:
YOu think that was magic....what about 8 tracks....wow, now that was cutting edge
btw....I still have my old 8-track recorder/player with tapes....some music you just can't appreciated unless it changes tracks with a click and a hum..... :D
Mac The Knife
Sorcerer

Post by Mac The Knife »

Growing up, the first computer in our house was a south west technical products computer my dad built from a kit,,,,,, The 32K memory board dwarfed a kick ass videocard of today!!! My sister and I spent a week typing in machine code for some startrek game.. (battleship variant if I remember correctly). He finally gave up, and found the program on cassette tape., My first, self bought computer was a Timex-Sinclair computer, with a whole 2k of memory built in. And again, cassette tape storage.

jnormg wrote:Yeah, the good old days. Remember the 1200 baud external modems? My first computer was a Heathkit PDP-11/03 with 32 kilobytes of memory and two 8-inch floppy drives. I had to learn to program in assembly language to fit everything in memory. (For you youngsters, assembly language was far more efficient in terms of memory usage.) Besides, I felt I had better command of what I wanted the machine to do. Later on I graduated to PC clones and C language, then finally to Visual Basic. All of it was self-taught. I never had a single course on computers while I was earning my BSEE back in 1961 or later in my professional career. So, the rest of you--enjoy. :D

Norm Gober
Cedar Hill, Texas
www.gearrings.weebly.com
freethrow
Sorcerer

Post by freethrow »

Doc Spratley wrote:
GBLW wrote:Well, BBS seemed almost like magic . . . . . . way back then, didn't it? :lol:
YOu think that was magic....what about 8 tracks....wow, now that was cutting edge
btw....I still have my old 8-track recorder/player with tapes....some music you just can't appreciated unless it changes tracks with a click and a hum..... :D

Loved my 8 track. I had a 65 GTO back then, ebony black with red pin stripes. leather buckets, 4 speed hurst, 450 cfm Holly Carb, Hi rise manifold, chrome rims, air shocks. Just tooling down the road with a little Grand Funk Railroad blasting away from the 8 track through extra large rear window speakers I had installed. It was great. I was king of the world. :mrgreen:

My GTO looked a lot like this one. http://www.hotrodder.com/carshow/Pontiac/65gto.jpg
Aightaight
Initiate

Post by Aightaight »

Superb chapter Fel! :D

Looks like things are set to get moving...
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

My first comp, back in 1992, was a Tandy XT hand me down. It operated at 4.77 Mhz with two, count 'em TWO 720k 3.5 floppies. It also had a 4 color video card, but now hard drive. Then I had 486sx 25Mhz, 486DX4 100Mhz, Pentium II 300Mhz, Athlon 1.1 Ghz, Athlon 1800+, Athlon 2500+ and Athlon64 X2 4400.

Now I'm up to a Intel quad core 2.4Ghz, 8GB ram, 4 HD's totaling 1.9TB's, Dual nVidia 8800 GTS 640MB video, X-Fi sound, three monitors, 850 watt power supply and Vista64. The Vista64 is the only thing that really sucks. But, hey, is M$ so I can't complain too loudly or they will put out an even buggier (is that a word) patch. (Insert Tim from Tool Time male grunts here) Of course I have no life, so computers is the only thing I'm any good at. Dating is non existent, positively NO kids.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

Steve W wrote:
Doc Spratley wrote:Ah, the good old days (not).
Good thing you said "not". If you had said you were nostalgic for 300 baud, I would have had to open a can of Ledwell for you. :wink:
300 baud? Why, ya young pup, hack, hack 150 baud was allus good 'nuff, dang, sure beat sending packs 'o cards through the mails cough, wheeze

Mainframes, shur 'nuff, wit' 12k memory, card-driven, state-of-the-art, that's what my dad managed, after overseeing the transition from programming by moving wires.

Me? First computer, Kaypro 2X; first I programed on, PDP 11/02, remember drooling over the Apple][2e, and snearing at PETs...

And now I've networked the building I live in, and am looking into piggybacking the POTS on the two unused pairs of the cat5 cable. OK, not state-of-the-art, Mom's 82 and POTS she understands.
Trekkie
Initiate

Post by Trekkie »

Fawks wrote: Now I'm up to a Intel quad core 2.4Ghz, 8GB ram, 4 HD's totaling 1.9TB's, Dual nVidia 8800 GTS 640MB video, X-Fi sound, three monitors, 850 watt power supply and Vista64. The Vista64 is the only thing that really sucks. But, hey, is M$ so I can't complain too loudly or they will put out an even buggier (is that a word) patch.
You do know there are alternatives to M$.