Shadow COnstruct (spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
SYED
Child of Niami

Shadow COnstruct (spoilers)

Post by SYED »

If alchemy can copy spirit magic, and the spirits themselves can make magical objects. I wonder if shadow magic specif items could be created. I love the idea of a shaow cloak, for sneaking and hiding. Imagine an item that turns you into a shadow form, able to stretcch wriggle and slide through all these gaps.
We know shadow power can not only alow access to the shadow realm, but it can manipulat the entiies there as well as the whole realm. I am wondering if it is possible to create safe paths/tunnels in there, by shaping the shadows to form them. I am thinking only used in fixed location, also if the paths are stabel, transit would be easier to achieve. Imagine if they link haven to over the oceans. THey could corner the market on trade between the regions.
Also, those beings in the shadow realm, can be meseed with directly as they are shadows to be altered.So could cages be created to contain them in the shadow world.
.S.A.M.K.M
Griffinmane
Initiate

Re: Shadow COnstruct (spoilers)

Post by Griffinmane »

I am just guessing here, but I had the impression that shadow magic was different than spirit magic. It took Kyven a while to train it and it was different than his spirit magic. I think shadow magic is something specific that the Shadow Fox has control over that the other Spirit Totems cannot access. After the breaking there were many monstrous creatures created that have powers that work differently than Spirit Magic. I'm assuming the Shadow Fox had something to do with the creation of the shadow foxes amd granted them access to shadow magic. They are more rare than the other types of monsters because I am betting only the Shadow Fox had a hand in thier creation, while the others may have had more than one totem involved. Or they thier numbers are kept low to stay out of notice. That sounds like something the Shadow Fox would do. The Shadow Arcans are more fertile at the moment because she is trying to establish a breeding population. So she is directly intervening now.
Griffinmane
Initiate

Post by Griffinmane »

Now if it was possible to create items I would see that it is more useful to use the Shadow Cloak and the item to travel as being more useful to a spy network than for trade. With trade you would be limited to what you carry and that may not be worth the risk of Shadow Walking to get there. After all the walker would not have the defense nor a way to manipulate the shadow realm once there. It may be that Will alone allows you to manpulate the realm; I suspect you also have to have an affinity for that realm to be able to do anything there. The item would probably be limited to opening portals on either end. But you would be defenseless in between. Then is it worth it to make an item that is lost to the shadow monsters on the first trip?

The only items worth risking the journey for would have to be very valuable like gemstones, jewelry and small works of art for both ways. And tech from europe (forgot the continent name) and maybe crystals from Noram would be items of value in the appropriate direction.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I never meant to imply a shadow cloak for shadow traveling. In my mind a shadow cloak would allow you to hide and avoid detection. Or alternatively turn into a living shadow for a short while. No shadow travelling involved here.

My idea for the shaow realm, was to allow more use of it, safe paths were created, most likely from fixed locations using specificly made gates to access the realm and the paths. We know both the creatures and the reaml it self can be manipulated, so actual paths could be made, so the transit is safe from the monsters, and possibly less nauseus. I doubt we will see it used for large scale transport network. BUt a gate betwee haven and the front lines would take away days of travel and help secure the logistic for the army.

If they had a gate that led accross the oceans, they could open diplomatic contact with the human nations over there. They do know more about living without crystals and alchemy, if the arcan can help introduce these methods and goods to the their human neighbours, it would be a way to rebuild them with out a dependancy on arcans. Depending on how much it could move, it could easier immigration of people and trade.

Eve nif paths can not be made to keep travelers safe, i like the idea of a binding/cages for the creatures. It is said that it would be dangerous to kill them, but they could be contained. SPirit energy is contained in crystals, so could they be contained similarly.
.S.A.M.K.M