Shadow Walker chapter 10 (spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
aberia
Sorcerer

Shadow Walker chapter 10 (spoilers)

Post by aberia »

What happened guys no comments yet ?? Nice chapter Fel. Specially liked the part where kyv killed off the loregaurds officers. cut the head and tghe body automatically dies. and the end wow. deceit within deceit , just like in subjugation plan within plans. nice. cant wait for more... more ...more...
dellstart
Child of Niami

Re: Shadow Walker chapter 10 (spoilers)

Post by dellstart »

aberia wrote:What happened guys no comments yet ?? Nice chapter Fel. Specially liked the part where kyv killed off the loregaurds officers. cut the head and tghe body automatically dies. and the end wow. deceit within deceit , just like in subjugation plan within plans. nice. cant wait for more... more ...more...
That was pretty dramatic , plus talk about destroying morale!
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

I'm surprised that Kyven hasn't yet tested taking others through the shadows by volunteering some hapless Loreguard. He certainly doesn't seem to mind killing large numbers of them conventionally.

It's a good job that Kyven is limited by the creatures in the shadow plane else he might be tempted to kill huge numbers of Loreguard...

I'm curious to discover what Toby's role is in the big plan. Or indeed what the big plan is. I'm guessing it's fiendish... :twisted: -mwarh-
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

What would happen if he started feeding those creatures of the shadow realm the lorguards and other enemies? Would they stop persuing him as much? Perhaps become relatively friendly to him? Or are they after something other then food source?
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

lapland wrote:What would happen if he started feeding those creatures of the shadow realm the lorguards and other enemies? Would they stop persuing him as much? Perhaps become relatively friendly to him? Or are they after something other then food source?
They could also get much more powerful and faster, more eager to catch him. Would you want to risk that?
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
Wiz
Novice

Post by Wiz »

lapland wrote:What would happen if he started feeding those creatures of the shadow realm the lorguards and other enemies? Would they stop persuing him as much? Perhaps become relatively friendly to him? Or are they after something other then food source?
I had the impression that they sensed something that didn't belong in their world/universe/whatever and were trying to destroy it. If that's the case then even if he tossed them a Loreguard they will still be after him because he still doesn't belong there .
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

And i was more of the impression that they are desperately hungry in a world where all food have already been eaten, if it ever existed. Outsiders are hunted both because they affect the world in a way that is not natural, and because they are food. From what i remember, they eat warmth, and only warmth.

Actually, there is a larger problem with leaving behind someone. Nothing physical exists naturally in the shadow world. But if you bring in something from another world, it might never go away, because there is nothing that can remove it naturally. So a body might be able to act as a beacon for the natives, allowing them to more or less stay nearby rather then drift away. It could be a very real handicap for Kyven, because he might never again be able to access the shadow wold near that area again without real and immediate risk to his life.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

expedient wrote:I'm surprised that Kyven hasn't yet tested taking others through the shadows by volunteering some hapless Loreguard. He certainly doesn't seem to mind killing large numbers of them conventionally.
I got the impression that carrying large heavy objects in and out of shadowspace is very tiring (hence dangerous) for Kyven. In addition to all the other objections, we don't want him so exhausted that he can't run or dodge. Besides they're only mooks. If Fel is going to give someone such an noteworthy death, it's far more likely to be an important character. :P

And in other news Danna's quantum wave form has now collapsed.
I is an certified nut
darkhand
Initiate

Post by darkhand »

I just had a thought but what if the shadow fox could make more shadow fox arcan, but only with the express agreement of those who she wants to become. maybe she got hit hard by forcing kyven to become an arcan but can with total and absolute agreement negate most of the toll caused by the transformation. It would explain the lengths that she as gone to to get toby to bargain. just a thought, and yes I know I am probably not stating this well.
peaking out from under the dark side of the hand of rl, I grin with a toothless smile.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

ANTIcarrot wrote:Besides they're only mooks. If Fel is going to give someone such an noteworthy death, it's far more likely to be an important character. :P
Funny but probably true.
ANTIcarrot wrote:And in other news Danna's quantum wave form has now collapsed.
I think that this is kind of thing is always difficult to avoid when a story is almost completely seen from the perspective of one character. Getting the balance of hearing gradually about events in the world and seemingly abrupt plot advancing discoveries occurring is difficult. Some of these can be resolved in editing by introducing themes earlier, but not all. And this happens in Fel's writing far less frequently that many others I've read.

Of course most "published" books are edited as a whole these days. In the past when authors wrote in journals one chapter at a time and only continued so long as the stories were popular this happened a lot. It happens in TV shows frequently; in 24 Jack Bauer's daughter was constantly put in this situation.

There is hope here though. The Shadow Fox Spirit does have plans for *all* the mortals she has her claws in, so she could yet have a greater significance.

I hope that her character is better fleshed out as the story advances. At the moment Kyven is her main recourse for comfort, consequently she spends most of her time crying on his shoulder. Some point in the future she will have to put aside her fear and contribute more on-camera rather than off-screen. Show us why she's special...
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi