Spirit Walker - Spoilers - Chapters 1 through part of 14

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Spirit Walker - Spoilers - Chapters 1 through part of 14

Post by J-Man5 »

Well chapter one reminds me of Anne McCaffrey's Crystal singer. And somewhat like the Recluce apprentice series. Hopefully you find them to be good comparisons.

I like it a lot Fel.

Thanks

J-Man5
Last edited by J-Man5 on Tue May 13, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
beastkiller18
Initiate

Re: Spirit Walker - Spoilers

Post by beastkiller18 »

great beginning the to what i think could a promising tale worthy of the superb Fel :D :mrgreen: :D
so keep 'em comin i like already :!: :!:
Out of the smoldering embers and ashes rises The Phoenix http://www.flash-mind.com/images/media/ ... reborn.jpg
alkiera
Initiate

Post by alkiera »

J-Man5 wrote:Well chapter one reminds me of Anne McCaffrey's Crystal singer.
Somewhat similar idea; though the crystal singers had normal tech, they just used crystals for things that couldn't be done in a standard way. This universe seems to use them for everything above the tech level of a candle.
J-Man5 wrote:And somewhat like the Recluce apprentice series.
Is that the series with the order/chaos split in magical power? We know ahead of time that Fel wants to take thisin that sort of direction; pit the two sources of power against each other. He said as much in the intro in the general forum.
J-Man5 wrote: Hopefully you find them to be good comparisons.

I like it a lot Fel.

Thanks

J-Man5
I like it too; Fel's worlds are always interesting, and this one seems to have the makings of a good story in it.
iandb
Talent

Post by iandb »

Haven't noticed this mentioned anywhere?

Towards the start of Chapter 1 you find ...

-----
of it, and headed for the Three Boar Tavern.
Aven was sitting at his customary place in the tavern,
[...]
The barkeep here was unusual in town in that he refused to emply Arcans in his inn. He hated them with a passion, and always gave a free tankard of ale to any new face that showed up wearing Arcan fur. “Aven!” he called excitedly. “I got off early! Are you ready to go?”
-----

but towards the end ...

-----
It was different. Kyven went to the Three Boars and sat at a table near the fireplace, with a tankard of ale in front of him, lost in thought.
[...]
“Then I’ll wait,” Virren told him, then waved as Kyven left the bar.

Virren leaned back in his chair, then waved to the Arcan barmaid, a slender mink whom the innkeeper kept naked to tease the patrons, wearing only a waist apro
-----

Unless the "Three Boar Tavern" is a different place to the "Three Boars" then this would seem to be a discrepancy.

Nice start to the story though, thanks Fel :D

Ian
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

That's one of those typos that the spellchecker won't catch.

I'll fix it so they match, thanks for the catch there. :)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Fantastic work, as always.

I did notice once or twice that you wrote "Kit" rather than "Kyv" ... probably just your fingers not doing what your brain is thinking.
alkiera
Initiate

Post by alkiera »

Fel wrote:That's one of those typos that the spellchecker won't catch.

I'll fix it so they match, thanks for the catch there. :)
I think he was more pointing out that the Bar owner who refused to emply Arcans early in the chapter suddenly has an Arcan barmaid, and cook.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

heh, woops. Well, the one that doesn't use Arcans is a different bar which you see in chapter 2, called the Crystal Chimes.

Guess I got my notes mixed up when I wrote out the chapter. I'll correct it on my master file...sorry about that.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Fel wrote:heh, woops. Well, the one that doesn't use Arcans is a different bar which you see in chapter 2, called the Crystal Chimes.

Guess I got my notes mixed up when I wrote out the chapter. I'll correct it on my master file...sorry about that.

Chapter 2!?? :shock: Drools* Give me Give Me GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME!!!! :shock:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

So has anybody else come to the thought that maybe the fox is the spirit of his dead mother? Just a thought. Time to start the wild speculation.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Not likely, as while the fox did show up when his mother died, the wolf Arcan recognized the spirit and had a name for her.

Although, I do believe that Aven's mother had the potential to be a Shaman as well, and her death triggered or transferred to Aven the Shaman abilities.

And her death wish was probably for the Shadow Fox to watch over her child.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
giddiani
Initiate

Post by giddiani »

The main character having such an affinity to crystals, will probably have the ability to create any type of crystal he wants, even white and black. This is going to cause him problems in the future when people find out what he can do.
Mysterious
Sorcerer

Post by Mysterious »

giddiani wrote:The main character having such an affinity to crystals, will probably have the ability to create any type of crystal he wants, even white and black. This is going to cause him problems in the future when people find out what he can do.
Shaman's can't create White Crystals. This is for some unexplained reason that will be explained in later chapters when Kyv gets his basic training. This can be seen in this quote:

“That makes sense. So, I could make crystals?”
“It’s possible. Not all Shaman can do it, though, and not all Shaman can make all kinds of crystal. Stalker can’t make blue or green crystals. Clover can’t make black crystals. Coldfoot can only make red crystals. None of them can make white crystals.”

Though you may be right that he can make white crystals because to his affinity of crystals in general. It would certainly give a real twist in the story.

Mysterious
You're not FAT... You're just horizontally gifted :)
D.F. Thompson
Sorcerer

Post by D.F. Thompson »

Hmmmm.... After the third chapter it appears that your young man Kyv is going to be putting Tarrin to shame. Talk about brutal, our ETA (Evil Twisted Author) appears to be pulling out all the stops. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hehehehe I say go for it.
I know that the voices in my head aren't real.
But they do have some damned good ideas. = ~.^ =
Omegano
Initiate

Post by Omegano »

D.F. Thompson wrote:Hmmmm.... After the third chapter it appears that your young man Kyv is going to be putting Tarrin to shame. Talk about brutal, our ETA (Evil Twisted Author) appears to be pulling out all the stops. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I actually have to say that didn't seem very brutal. The opposite, in fact. That was a quick, clean kill. The fire to cover his tracks was a very simple, yet effective tactic. Brutal in intent? Yes. But in action? Not really. At this point, Kyven has nothing on Tarrin. Guile and deception is on the opposite end of the spectrum as brutal. Kyven, at this point, is looking to become one hell of an assassin. Especially with the Shadow Fox as his totem...

Though I agree with the whole ETA bit. :mrgreen:
Go ahead. Ask me any question, but if it needs logic or intelligence, you will want to ask that brain thingie that lives in in my head instead.