A question about Catholic wedding

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions all around the Kittstrom Lucas Vulpan story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
zedd
Sui'Kun

A question about Catholic wedding

Post by zedd »

Here in Europe (at least the part I know of) the Catholic ceremony is held as Kit wedding was (boy and priest starts at the altar and the bride walks into church after everyone is inside) , but Fel says a catholic ceremony is not like that in the States and says that Kit wedding is more protestant than catholic.

Was it a mistake from Fel part ?
gcomyn
Initiate

Re: A question about Catholic wedding

Post by gcomyn »

Not having had a Catholic wedding (wiccan), and it having been a LOOONG time since I attended one (I'm a recovering Catholic), I seem to remember that the groom did stand at the alter, and the bride walked down the aisle at the end of the line of grooms/bridesmaids, usually on her Father's arm.

O I'm not sure if it was an error in fact on his part, but maybe an error in that he specified that it was protestant vs catholic... I"m not sure, but I think the main difference between the two is that in a Catholic wedding there is a short mass, with the bride an groom getting communion....(again, if I'm remembering correctly.

Of course, I could be so far out of the ball park as to have no idea what I'm talking about.... but, ya never know....

GComyn
Isengrim
Initiate

Re: A question about Catholic wedding

Post by Isengrim »

I suspect that whether the groom stands at the alter depends on what the particular rubrics the Vulpans and the Archdiocese of Boston have regarding marriages. A quick search showed me that there is lots of room for variation in the roman catholic service.

I saw reference to four different ways to do a marriage (part of mass, not part of mass, catholic with non-catholic, and with a lay person presiding), and one of the comments indicated that variations on those rubrics were permitted. Another comment indicated that each diocesan bishop is permitted to authorize any ritual relating to marriage that he wants to meet the requirements of the local populations.