Kit - Chapter 34 - Spoilers

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions all around the Kittstrom Lucas Vulpan story.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Re: Kit - Chapter 34 - Spoilers

Post by kd7mvs »

boballab wrote:One thing to keep in mind when looking at how the cousins deal with Kit is that Kit is the only Vulpan that can legally take their trust funds away from them. If any of them do something that violates the agreement the family has with Kit he gets to take away all their money. That is a power that not even Vil has over them, so they really don't want to piss Kit off.
But...

How many of them are aware of this? Kit has only made an issue of it with the Gang of Four [counting Zach's wife] as a reason why they really need to back off, not get him involved in any manner which involves him in law suits as a respondent; he hasn't aired this with the cousins.

What the cousins see is the only Vulpan who has bucked the Elders; none of the others have actually even tried to buck the Elders. They haven't because they know they won't survive if they do; they don't have the skills. Kit is practically demi-god status in certain ways, in that he bucked the Father From Hell, survived, bucked the Elders, survived, heckfire he's turning into a success with very little assistance from the Family [he does have stock now, the dividends fund his investments in the magazine], he's stood up to Zach and driven him out of Stonebrook, married a cat of all things and installed her in Stonebrook, and it is very clear that he loves his wife.

And all that Kit is, in his success, is due to his meeting Jessie. Austin is the new Ellis Island, and Jessie is the Statue of Liberty, a shining beacon of freedom and hope who inspired him to say "Here I Stand," start a new life, stand up to his family, and win the heart of the cat that he loves. And when he did that, he was under the Ban, no aid allowed from any Family Funds, all of this done by the sweat of his brow. He's practically a Horatio Alger hero, except Horatio Alger used the Deus Ex Machina as a substitute for true rags to riches; Vil acts as the deus ex machina after Kit is already clearly on the road to success, the cousins know that he has made himself a success, on his own, inspired by the love of a Good Femme, and he encourages them to do the same [they have to find their own Significant Other, Jessie is his, thank you very much, but the possibility is there.] Practically a Christ Figure, scourged, slain, resurrected and risen, with his father, Cybil, and Zachary taking turns as Caiaphas. And each of the cousins must ask themselves if they have the courage to follow his example...

Oooh, stop me now, I feel an English paper striving to break free!
Mac The Knife
Sorcerer

Post by Mac The Knife »

Mad Monk wrote:
"dellstart"
Though if some one could explain to me, just what was that caused those looks from his cousins in the kitchen? What was their reaction to the phone call from Brian asking permission?

"Hearly"
I think it was more along the lines of him spacing out because of his fear/anger at an Elder being anywhere near Jessy, even though Brian was at his wedding...

"dellstart"
then how does that fit into muffys statement of his true bravery??/

"Hearly"
Maybe I understood it wrong, but I took it to mean, that even with his fear of what his family might do to her, he's still willing to allow it, Shrug..
He is taking whatever precautions he can to protect her physically, but he is also concerned about her emotionally. She is surrounded by potential purists who could say very hurtful things, and does not have her usual group of friends around her. He knows that even some of the cousins who support Vil could be purists, because that was how they were raised.

You're leaving out his concern for Jessie to become corrupted by money,,, Which doesn't seem to be a concern at the moment
www.gearrings.weebly.com
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

kd7mvs wrote:
boballab wrote:One thing to keep in mind when looking at how the cousins deal with Kit is that Kit is the only Vulpan that can legally take their trust funds away from them. If any of them do something that violates the agreement the family has with Kit he gets to take away all their money. That is a power that not even Vil has over them, so they really don't want to piss Kit off.
But...

How many of them are aware of this? Kit has only made an issue of it with the Gang of Four [counting Zach's wife] as a reason why they really need to back off, not get him involved in any manner which involves him in law suits as a respondent; he hasn't aired this with the cousins.

What the cousins see is the only Vulpan who has bucked the Elders; none of the others have actually even tried to buck the Elders. They haven't because they know they won't survive if they do; they don't have the skills. Kit is practically demi-god status in certain ways, in that he bucked the Father From Hell, survived, bucked the Elders, survived, heckfire he's turning into a success with very little assistance from the Family [he does have stock now, the dividends fund his investments in the magazine], he's stood up to Zach and driven him out of Stonebrook, married a cat of all things and installed her in Stonebrook, and it is very clear that he loves his wife.

And all that Kit is, in his success, is due to his meeting Jessie. Austin is the new Ellis Island, and Jessie is the Statue of Liberty, a shining beacon of freedom and hope who inspired him to say "Here I Stand," start a new life, stand up to his family, and win the heart of the cat that he loves. And when he did that, he was under the Ban, no aid allowed from any Family Funds, all of this done by the sweat of his brow. He's practically a Horatio Alger hero, except Horatio Alger used the Deus Ex Machina as a substitute for true rags to riches; Vil acts as the deus ex machina after Kit is already clearly on the road to success, the cousins know that he has made himself a success, on his own, inspired by the love of a Good Femme, and he encourages them to do the same [they have to find their own Significant Other, Jessie is his, thank you very much, but the possibility is there.] Practically a Christ Figure, scourged, slain, resurrected and risen, with his father, Cybil, and Zachary taking turns as Caiaphas. And each of the cousins must ask themselves if they have the courage to follow his example...

Oooh, stop me now, I feel an English paper striving to break free!
You got it backwards on who knew about the provisions in the contract, the only one that didn't know was Kit. At first the elders might or might not have missed it, but Vil told Kit that Zach's lawyers found the clauses and Zach wasn't happy as the following two quotes show:
I don’t remember reading that.”
“You didn’t read the agreement, Kit. Zach did, but he didn’t read it carefully. You and me are on the deed of the manor as the owners, jointly. But the legal agreement that everyone signed includes that clause. And Zach knows about it,” she added with a wicked smile. “His lawyer finally noticed it, and we had quite a little spat about it about a month ago. But there’s nothing he can do. If he challenges the clause, he has to challenge the entire contract, it’s specifically written that way. You can’t challenge any one part of it without challenging all of it.
“Yes, Vilenne outdid herself when her lawyers prepared that agreement. The conditions of the split of the money are very specific, and they were worded in such a way that it seemed that restrictions against Kit were also restrictions against the family.”
“This is news to me,” Kit said seriously.
“I put it together to keep them off your back, bro,” she answered. “For example, no member of the family can ever sue you in court. If any of them ever does, it voids the deal. Any challenge to the contract, by the structure of the contract, voids the entire contract if any one section of it is thrown out.
Now the next quote shows that the elders might have signed the contract even knowing the clauses were in there:
“How did you slip that past them?” Kit asked in surprise.
“They either didn’t read the contract carefully enough, their lawyers didn’t bring it to their attention, or they signed it knowing it’s there, I can’t really tell you. But, see bro, I made sure you were well protected,” Vil smiled. “I have the family nailed to the mast. They can’t take any action against you without risking their own fortunes.”
“And you wondered why they were so quiet up here,” Jessie laughed. “Now we know!”
Now we know that all the cousins know that at the minimum ther eis a contract and that Kit gave them their money as shown by the following quote:
“Kit! Wait!” someone called. He stopped and turned around, and saw Muffy rushing towards him. She hugged him tightly, patting him on the back, and then kissed him on the cheek. “It’s already hit the family. Thank you!”
“For what?”
“For being what I hoped you would be,” she told him, “instead of what they were afraid you were. You’re better than them, Kit, and you proved it.
Now there is evidence that the elders told the youngers about the clauses in the contract because the "Nuclear option" that was proposed didn't come from Kit or Vil, but from Terry:
Terry also brought up the ultimate weapon to use against the uncles, should it look like they’re about to do something really, really stupid.”
“What?”
“If it looks like they’re about to get out of control, Terry will threaten to sue you.”
That last quote shows that Terry already knew about the clauses before the war started. So when you take all those quote together it is reasonable to assume, even logical, that the elders warned the youngers what not to do to piss Kit off and get them all disowned by him. For the smarter ones they would be able to figure out that Kit still has some power over them. For the less bright ones the elders probably had to spell it out to them what could happen. So lets count who knew about the clauses, there is all 5 elders, Vil, Terry, Clancy, Jessie and Kit at the minimum just from the quotes which is a total of 10 not just 4.

You also have to take into account that when they all were younger they were being raised to defer to Kit not Vil as he was the heir apparent. I believe Sheila even talked about that once with Kit, about how out of all the youngers Kit and Vil were raised different from the rest because they were Uncle Lucas kids.
Our parents don’t take us seriously, not like they take you and Vil seriously. We’re not like you two. You’re from Uncle Luke’s family, the important Vulpans. We’re just the nameless masses that fill up the photographs and give the paparazzi targets to chase.”
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
konman
Da'Shar

Post by konman »

On a different note.

We now know that Jessie's family will be attending Vil's wedding. Now we have Hannah Cremeans survivor of the Columbus Twenty in the same church / reception hall with some of the more Rabid Purist in the country.

"Her younger brothers, William and Jebediah Cremeans, were both killed by a purist mob in October of 1972, the last known furs to have been lynched. Six of the killers were convicted, and they were still in prison to this day."

This leads us to believe that not all of the mob were Identified and charged. Wouldn't it be a twist of fate for Hannah to Identify Zack as one of the Mob that Killed her brothers?
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

konman wrote:On a different note.

We now know that Jessie's family will be attending Vil's wedding. Now we have Hannah Cremeans survivor of the Columbus Twenty in the same church / reception hall with some of the more Rabid Purist in the country.

"Her younger brothers, William and Jebediah Cremeans, were both killed by a purist mob in October of 1972, the last known furs to have been lynched. Six of the killers were convicted, and they were still in prison to this day."

This leads us to believe that not all of the mob were Identified and charged. Wouldn't it be a twist of fate for Hannah to Identify Zack as one of the Mob that Killed her brothers?
Yeah that would be a twist of fate, but I doubt Fel would go that route. Also it would stretch creduality that a rich kid from Boston would be slumming in Colombus Ohio, it would make more sense that Zach might have slipped some money to radical groups that had ties to the perps.
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

boballab wrote:
konman wrote:On a different note.

Yeah that would be a twist of fate, but I doubt Fel would go that route. Also it would stretch creduality that a rich kid from Boston would be slumming in Colombus Ohio, it would make more sense that Zach might have slipped some money to radical groups that had ties to the perps.
Given that from his descriptions, Zach does not seem to have any outstanding distinguishing features other than his Vulpan eyes, and Hannah did not make special comment about Kits, eyes, I doubt that Zach would be identified as one of the mob. I DO suspect that the Vulpans were money-men behind the mob.

More likely is that Zach still has ties to rabid purist gangs (think neo-nazis) who might turn up. Some of their members may be identified as being in the Mob. Remember that money which Zach was laundering throught the Stonebrook accounts? It was chicken feed to him, but it could go a long way to funding a hate-group, or rent-a-riot.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

boballab wrote:
kd7mvs wrote:
But...

You got it backwards on who knew about the provisions in the contract, the only one that didn't know was Kit. At first the elders might or might not have missed it, but Vil told Kit that Zach's lawyers found the clauses and Zach wasn't happy as the following two quotes show:
much snippage

All well and good, but as stated Kit has only made an issue of it with the Gang of Four [corrected to Zachary, Maxine, Jacob, and Sarah]; these are the one's he's brought it up with to get them to back off. Who knew what when is not relevant to that aspect of things, Kit hasn't brought it up as a threat/warning with anyone else. He certainly hasn't used it to influence the cousins; that others have used it to influence them may be true, but it wasn't an action of Kit's. And it wouldn't explain the cousins feeling favorably toward Kit, except as they realize he would not be initiating actions detrimental to their financial well-being, but would only be reacting to the actions of others, such as they of the heavy hands, The Gang of Four. Only as a respondent does Kit's involvement void the agreement, Kit cannot void it, Vil cannot void it, other's squabbling will not void it, Kit being named as a respondent voids it; hence the threat to switch Vil and Kit as primary landholders in re Stonebrook, as the suit named the primary as respondent, not a specific individual, a strategic error on Zach's part. Someone other than Kit or Vil has to pull the trigger, which as you pointed out generated Terry's offer to be the potential triggerman as a means of leverage if the Gang gets too out of hand. Remember, Kit had it all and handed it back, the cousins should rightly feel that Kit is on their side, in distinct difference from how Zach is behaving; no one can doubt that if Zach ever had the reins he'd be sawing the bit in the horse's mouth something nasty, while Kit won't even hold the reins, merely loop them over the pommel to keep them from getting stepped on.

My mind is fuzzing, enough for now.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Kit being a respondent in a suit is only one of two ways that the contract can be invalidated that we know of(The other way being if a Vulpan is convicted of a crime comitted against Kit). Vil has stated that there is many little clauses through out that contract like land mines so we don't know what else is there and neither does Kit since he didn't read it nor have a lawyer read it.
“I’m a mean girl,” she said without batting an eye. “Zach thought he was nicking the bait off the hook when I drew up the contract, but he didn’t read it closely enough to see the little hooks that are spread through the whole thing, almost like little mines. Those clauses are there to absolutely ensure the good behavior of the elders towards Kit. If they violate any one clause, then Kit can strip them of their money.”
Now Kit is relying on Vil to tell him of any violations but we are talking about Vil who is sneaky as hell and she keeps trying to get the money in Kit's hands. Remember back to when Kit signed the contract there is a little line Fel threw in there that gives him a lot of lee way with dealing with that contract.
Vilenne offered him a pen, her eyes a mystery. He took it, and with absolutely no hesitation, he signed it. “And once more, on this line,” the lawyer said, turning to the back page. Kit signed it again.
So what else is hidden in that contract that Kit doesn't know about? He really should have had Kevin read his copy of it.
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Although the contract and its clauses remain as a "nuclear option" I think Vil is trying to win the battle with the Elders by persuasion. After all, she will have to live with them around in the future. If she forces them out, they will still be around, with their fortunes, to cause problems. And they might no longer be constrained by agreements or the good name of the family. She is trying to maintain control with the majority of the family, so that do not end up doing anything stupid(er) than they already have.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Mad Monk wrote:Although the contract and its clauses remain as a "nuclear option" I think Vil is trying to win the battle with the Elders by persuasion. After all, she will have to live with them around in the future. If she forces them out, they will still be around, with their fortunes, to cause problems. And they might no longer be constrained by agreements or the good name of the family. She is trying to maintain control with the majority of the family, so that do not end up doing anything stupid(er) than they already have.
Actually you got her strategy right but for the wrong reasons. If she used the "nuclear option" the rest of the family is broke, they would be still in Boston but poor and wouldn't be able to fight her anymore. The "nuclear option" removes their money. Why she wants to persuade them to leave off is that if she is forced into the "nuclear option" the family fractures, splits up.
“So, anyone who does anything against Kit ends up surrendering his or her entire fortune to me, and the same conditions Dad had against Kit in his original will are put in effect against the guilty party.
“We decided that using that will be the last resort,” she told him seriously. “To make a threat like that might tear the family apart, disintegrate the whole family and turn this into an open civil war, because it brings everyone into it. And whoever did sue you would be an absolute pariah in the family forever afterward. They’d never be forgiven for disrupting things and stripping them of their fortunes.”
Vil has stated openly that her entire strategy revolves around Kit. She is forcing them to either give up, Kill her or become penniless.
“Kit can do his fighting from in here,” Vil said. “He doesn’t take a single foot out of Stonebrook if we can help it. The threat of Kit being able to take everything if they screw up is too much. They’ll try to remove him from the game, because he can stop it all if they make even one mistake. Kit is the king in this chess game, and the piece we have to protect the most.”
bjeane
Initiate

Post by bjeane »

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My head hurts just listening/reading all this!!!!!!!!
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

bjeane wrote:AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the plots in plots which Fel specialises in.

I think that he also reads the speculation on these forums and sniggers. :lol:

boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Mad Monk wrote:
bjeane wrote:AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the fun area trying to read the tea leaves at the bottom of the crystal ball and figure what is comming next. Fel is notorious for leaving a little innocous sentence 4 chapters before that the story ends up revolving around.
bjeane
Initiate

Post by bjeane »

I need some tin foil!!!!!!!!!
:lol:
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

boballab wrote:
Mad Monk wrote:

This is the fun area trying to read the tea leaves at the bottom of the crystal ball and figure what is comming next. Fel is notorious for leaving a little innocous sentence 4 chapters before that the story ends up revolving around.
And you also may see items in the story which indicate he liked a comment which showed up, either that or his vision is more prescient than I really want to think about and he knows before we post what gems will appear, or one of us is so successfully channeling Fel that we toss in nifty phrases which he has already written but not yet published; I prefer to think that he likes our comments!

And I like to think our respective Sophomore English teachers would be amazed, plum astounded, that we're doing this kind of lit crit for the pure fun of it all! Mind, some are doing this far more technically proficient than I am, with nifty quotes and such, shows how über geeky they are, cluttering the issue up with facts and such, makes ya wonder what they do for a living...but then they say something which shows their true evil colors and its all right.