Links to Good Reading (Part 2)

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Ymarsakar
Novice

Re: Links to Good Reading (Part 2)

Post by Ymarsakar »

I was only able to get to Chapter 15 in the Persistence of Time novel. The other chapters had HTML not found errors. Although the error message was pretty funny.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Edengrave wrote:http://darkicon.com/Library/

Original fiction.
not sure if the link has been posted before. Probably has been, in which case I apologize, but I was very surprised not to have discovered this site a long time ago. Its always the same story. just when you think you've read everything....anyway definitely recommend the December novels http://www.darkicon.com/Library/DragonsInn/. just like Sennadar, its better than 99.6% of the dead tree novels out there. I am AMAZED this hasn't been published.
very dark fantasy. The December series, is probably one of the highest quality of this genre I've read. very long, and incredibly deep. I was captivated. check it out

Thank you, thank you thank you!

This is one of the most amazing series , I have ever read. kinda of like a fantasy /crime novel with a twist.Well thought out characters and plot line.Great action and suspense.That December is one mean badasss!
borsic
Sorcerer

Post by borsic »

Vernor Vinge has published his 2006 Novel "Rainbows End" for free:

http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

An awesome post-cyberpunk novel - go read it, quick!
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

OK, a shameless plug: :P

http://www.bibp.com/beartales

"Open Season" is an original work, by Rick Coona. It is completed. He is working on new stories.
"Change of Seasons" is a fanfic, by yours truly, currently in progress.
"For a Season" is another fanfic, by Tigermark, currently in progress, with a new chapter due in the next couple of weeks.

All of these are also posted on the Raccoon's Bookshelf, http://www.raccoons-bookshelf.net/Site/index.html

Nicolai
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Open season wasn't bad. At least the chapters were short and it was easy to read in my downtime at school.

I should throw a little 5 page shorty over there...so, a cat, an old badger, and a young flat-chested jackal walk into a bar....

lol, I could tie it in and make it one of Tarrin's many missions out in the multiverse. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Fel wrote:I could tie it in and make it one of Tarrin's many missions out in the multiverse. ;)
How about trying to place Tarrin in the Shadowrun universe? That would be a challenge I think.

For example of stories in this universe check: http://www.shapcano.com/page2.html
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I did a Shadowrun story once, the main character was a Confederate military combat decker who came to Seattle to avenge the murder of his brother by Aztechnology, where he worked, because he stumbled across data they were willing to kill him to keep secret.

It was like 5 chapters. He manages to wrangle an extended "medical leave" from the CS Army, shows up, hacks Aztechnology, steals the data, gets into a running war with Aztechnology security, blackmails Aztechnology for 10 million nuyen, then backstabs them and dumps a copy of their research into the Seattle Public Library. Then he goes home. And they never learned his identity. ;)

The money? He put it on a certified credstick and chucked it into Puget Sound. After all, it wasn't about the money. It was about justice in a world where it usually comes at the end of a gun. Or, in this case, the business end of a custom-built deck ;)
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Fel wrote:I did a Shadowrun story once, ...
Can we read or is it in the group of "must rewrite before posting" ? It's so very hard to get new shadowrun stories these days :(
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

It was on the hard drive that is now one with Nirvana.

So that one's nothing but a memory now.
Gladiatory2k
Talent

Post by Gladiatory2k »

Fel wrote:It was on the hard drive that is now one with Nirvana.

So that one's nothing but a memory now.

Tease!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Silly humans, you keep forgetting.

I am a professional evil.
gesit
Sui'Kun

Post by gesit »

Fel wrote:Silly humans, you keep forgetting.

I am a professional evil.
roger that m8
hehehe

ham
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Fel wrote:Open season wasn't bad. At least the chapters were short and it was easy to read in my downtime at school.

I should throw a little 5 page shorty over there...so, a cat, an old badger, and a young flat-chested jackal walk into a bar....

lol, I could tie it in and make it one of Tarrin's many missions out in the multiverse. ;)
Feel free, Fel, feel free. :D Just please read the Writer's Guide first. (It's linked in the fanfic section.) We welcome new writers, and I look forward to reading it. And we would really like to see it posted on Beartales (and on the Bookshelf) if you're so inclined. Proofing services also available.

Nicolai
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

Some good stories in a new (for me) universe: http://morfs.nowhere2go.org/
MORFS Universe

'Massive Ontogenetic Regulation Failure Syndrome' or MORFS for short, was originally launched on the world's population by means of a genetically engineered virus. It had been started as an attempt at a biological weapon by a group of terrorists back in the early 2000s. The virus spread unnoticed across the globe. All life forms that experience some form of puberty where affected. This virus altered the strand of DNA that is supposed to protect and regulate the integrity of an individual's genome. The mutated portion essentially disables all or part of that activity, thus allowing many other mutations and gene swaps to appear and survive. This altered DNA was passed down to all subsequent generations and now each child is faced with the chance of undergoing life changing mutations in their teenage years.
Example of possible changes: change of sex, cosmetic, powers, etc ...
Edengrave
Sorcerer

Post by Edengrave »

The Morf thing reminded me of the wild cards universe with the focus on sex change.
I find gender switches hard to handle, but seemed to be a well written verse.
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
- Ge 3:24