Lost & Found

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Re: Lost & Found

Post by boballab »

imthejman85 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:55 pm I read a story on storiesonline.net years back where the protagonist was I think struck by lightning or something like that. He eventually learned he'd developed the ability to manipulate/create matter and his power grew as the story ran it's course. He had some relationship issue with his wife/GF(can't remember which). In the end I think he basically cleaned the CO2 from the atmosphere instantly and moved to the moon or something. Anyone know the name? Been looking for it off and on for a couple years now.
It sounds like a couple stories mixed together, because the one story I remember about where there is a person hit by lightning the MC was in middle school at the time but do not remember the name of that story. Then there is the story The Spark by Zoras, https://storiesonline.net/s/72851/the-spark , where the MC gets powers from someone that is escaping the government and he can manipulate electricity. ends up finding a buried alien ship and escapes to the stars in it. Finally there is Island Mine by Refusenik, https://storiesonline.net/s/73545/island-mine , where the MC gets power from a group of Alien AI's that let him construct just about anything out of anything else with nanobots, falls in love with a person, gets in fight with China and she dies in a sneak nuke attack on his island. He also has a moon base, space station or both and iirc heads to Mars at the end.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
cdhaag
Novice

Post by cdhaag »

It sounds like, Kinetic by hammingbyrd7.

https://storiesonline.net/a/hammingbyrd7
SoronelHaetir
Katzh-dashi

Post by SoronelHaetir »

Talking about Artie's "Time of Arrival", I have this through chapter 9 but I am pretty sure he posted chapter 10 shortly before taking down the asstr archive, does anyone have that?
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

The last stable backup of Artie's stories on the Wayback Machine is http://web.archive.org/web/201111211316 ... index.html; it was taken on November 21, 2011, less than a month prior to his taking everything down.

It only has Time of Arrival through Chapter 9. Given the posting date for that, I doubt that Chapter 10 ever got posted.
wetnomad
Katzh-dashi

Post by wetnomad »

Don't know where it came from, but I have a Chapter 10 (the last chapter I have) integrated into my copy of the story. The end note on the chapter says 'End of Part 10' and then 'rev 2012/08/06'. The usual ending of his stories, either FIN or FINI is not present. Presumably the last revision was either 8th June 2012 or 6th Aug 2012, depending on what dating convention was used. As I say, I don't know where I acquired the chapter, possibly from ASSTR itself, as I followed several authors there. However, if as you say he took that down in 2011 then I haven't a clue as to where I found it. I know he posted to other sites so perhaps one of those gave me it. Currently I have it in .doc format as one concatenated document of all parts. The rather short chapter 10 extends approximately 12 pages (of a total of 232) from shortly after his holiday at the ranch, through the rescue of Klaus and the return of the slaz to their planet and then returning to his ship and regaining a human type body again.
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Post by imthejman85 »

boballab wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:57 pm
imthejman85 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:55 pm I read a story on storiesonline.net years back where the protagonist was I think struck by lightning or something like that. He eventually learned he'd developed the ability to manipulate/create matter and his power grew as the story ran it's course. He had some relationship issue with his wife/GF(can't remember which). In the end I think he basically cleaned the CO2 from the atmosphere instantly and moved to the moon or something. Anyone know the name? Been looking for it off and on for a couple years now.
It sounds like a couple stories mixed together, because the one story I remember about where there is a person hit by lightning the MC was in middle school at the time but do not remember the name of that story. Then there is the story The Spark by Zoras, https://storiesonline.net/s/72851/the-spark , where the MC gets powers from someone that is escaping the government and he can manipulate electricity. ends up finding a buried alien ship and escapes to the stars in it. Finally there is Island Mine by Refusenik, https://storiesonline.net/s/73545/island-mine , where the MC gets power from a group of Alien AI's that let him construct just about anything out of anything else with nanobots, falls in love with a person, gets in fight with China and she dies in a sneak nuke attack on his island. He also has a moon base, space station or both and iirc heads to Mars at the end.
Nope, I've read Island Mine(wish there was a sequel) but never read the other.
cdhaag wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:45 pm It sounds like, Kinetic by hammingbyrd7.

https://storiesonline.net/a/hammingbyrd7
Yeap, that's the one. Thanks for the help both of ya.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Looking for a story whose plot is much like H Beam Piper's "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen" in many ways - but the plot revolves around a group of space explorers who arrive at a planet just in time to break up an attack on a semi-fortified establishment by a group of thugs. The space men (and women) find that there are products on the new planet that they can sell on Earth, but in order to be able to purchase those products they have to choose sides and they do, but along the way one or two of them become 'romantically' involved with the natives.

The tale is an older one, in fact I think I can recall reading it in one of the old sci-fi magazines of the 1950s, BUT I know I read it more recently as a 'short' story in a book of several tales of somewhat similar ilk.

Unfortunately I cannot recall the name of the story, the author or the compendium where it can be found - and being faced with having to search through a few hundred books in my personal collection I am feeling somewhat stuck. Any help would be appreciated.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

For those who might have been interested, the folks who comment on the "Beyond the Far Horizon" website were able to assist me to find the story - it was titled "When in the Course" by H Beam Piper and in the collection titled "Federation."

For those who read Piper's stories, it was submitted to John Campbell at Analog and he suggested it be changed to fit into the "Time Crime" series, so Piper rewrote the plot, which became the somewhat infamous "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen" that many people think is one of Piper's best tales.
K Pelle aka GBLW
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

Hadn't checked here for a bit, but if I'd seen GBLW's initial post that's precisely what I would have directed you to.

I might not have come up with the title or which collection, as I've had to drastically downsize my library, but that Lord Kalvin was a modification of another story by Piper which used interstellar travel rather than cross-reality travel, that I would have tossed out.

According to the note at the ISFdb, it was first published in Federation, so it didn't actually appear in Astounding.

It being published at all is due to John Carr's efforts to bring together every SF related story Piper had written that he could lay his hands upon and obtain permission from the IP holders, including those works revised and published in different format later on.
Cronus1585
Talent

Post by Cronus1585 »

Does anyone remember this story? Man and woman is kidnapped from earth to a new planet. There is a hall on the planet where women are collared (I think) and the collar keeps their arousal up as punishment. the collar prevents them from reaching orgasm and they only get release by random chance?
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

Cronus1585 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 pm Does anyone remember this story? Man and woman is kidnapped from earth to a new planet. There is a hall on the planet where women are collared (I think) and the collar keeps their arousal up as punishment. the collar prevents them from reaching orgasm and they only get release by random chance?
It's not the Gor series by John Norman, but it does sound like that was one of its inspirations.
At least, while the women were collared, I don't remember the collars doing that sort of thing.
It's over 40 years since I last read any of them, so it is possible my memory is in error.
That series does have Earth humans being taken to another world (opposite side of the Sun, same orbit, so not showing up from Earth pre-space flight.)

More information needed:
Was this a published in print work, or internet fiction?
Any idea how long ago you read it?
If online, any idea what sites you were visiting at that time?
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

I agree that it sounds very similar to John Norman's novels about Gor, but I don't recall anything about the collars doing anything else than serve as a reminder to the women that men are totally in control. I know those books are in my collection, because my ex-wife used to buy them for me.

Hmm, I'm not really the controlling type - maybe that's why we split? LOL.
K Pelle aka GBLW
Cronus1585
Talent

Post by Cronus1585 »

kd7mvs wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:27 am
Cronus1585 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 pm Does anyone remember this story? Man and woman is kidnapped from earth to a new planet. There is a hall on the planet where women are collared (I think) and the collar keeps their arousal up as punishment. the collar prevents them from reaching orgasm and they only get release by random chance?
It's not the Gor series by John Norman, but it does sound like that was one of its inspirations.
At least, while the women were collared, I don't remember the collars doing that sort of thing.
It's over 40 years since I last read any of them, so it is possible my memory is in error.
That series does have Earth humans being taken to another world (opposite side of the Sun, same orbit, so not showing up from Earth pre-space flight.)

More information needed:
Was this a published in print work, or internet fiction?
Any idea how long ago you read it?
If online, any idea what sites you were visiting at that time?
It was definitely internet fiction but I can't recall when or where I read it. it was an incomplete sorry so I suspect literotica but not 100% sure. I have tried a lot of search terms but can't find it. Thanks!!!
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Sounds a lot like some of Colt45's "Sea king" tales …..a least some of the kidnapping and collar parts.

https://storiesonline.net/a/colt45

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

Phantom wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:12 am Sounds a lot like some of Colt45's "Sea king" tales …..a least some of the kidnapping and collar parts.

https://storiesonline.net/a/colt45

Phantom
The Sea King stories aren't an Isekai; no one goes to another world than the one they were born in.
Plus, the collars, while indeed having effects other than just being "ornamental" do not cause you to orgasm at random intervals for no known reason...

That said, they are a very good read.