Lost & Found

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Re: Lost & Found

Post by GBLW »

Wolfee wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm Nice little read.
Well, if you want a chuckle or two, (that isn't quite as "politically driven") just try reading Banadin's the "Richard Jackson" tales - supposedly "true, but for a lie or two."
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Post by lagomilo »

Wolfee wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm
GBLW wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:40 am
lagomilo wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:18 pm Looking for a story that I think was on SOL about Male and Female programmers who design an A.I. at some facility. For some reason that I can't remember they have to go on the run and the A.I. escapes with them and keeps them from falling into government hands. Eventually at the end the A.I. designs some type of space going vehicle that will house the now couple and itself and they leave earth. That's all I remember. Can someone help me out.

Thanks,

Lago
Well, curiosity drove me to checking my 'plot reviews' of various tales I've read. While I'm not sure if what I found is what you want, somehow the plot sounds rather similar: An elderly couple are dying, only they are given a 'miracle drug' that not only cures them, but makes them grow younger - fro there the story goes through a loooooong extended tale of what they did in the next several years. However the last page has mention of the couple and their descendants meeting in some far distant galaxy eons later.
The story I'm referring to was called "Ever and Always" by Banadin and was available on "Stories on Line."
Nice little read.
Not quite what I remember. There where two youngish programmers who created and A.I. that grew and they didn't want it destroyed so they ran.....

more to it but it's all i remember. thanks though!
lago
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

GBLW wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:14 am
Wolfee wrote:I think I read the story on SOL - can't remember. But it is a story about a human who gets abducted or some how leaves earth. The one who abducts him or finds him and takes him all over the galaxy is a shape shifter or somekinda race that can change shape. She changes his shape and they explore, make money, invent some stuff. One of the things they do is go to a star system and record the death of a world where a young non-space fairing race lives when their star goes supernova and put a musical score to it and sell it. I think the Alien is named Keety or Keaty or something like that.

Anyone remember this? Pretty sure it was SOL or may be ASSTR possibly buy someone who wrote other sci-fi and then took it all down.
The story was titled "Time of Arrival," posted only on ASSTR and written by 'silli artie' - who unfortunately pulled all his stories a few years back, so if you didn't download a copy and save it yourself, you'll probably have to search for it on 'the wayback machine' or possibly on ASSTR's 'backup files.'
The most recent stable archive for Artie at the Wayback Machine is http://web.archive.org/web/201111211316 ... index.html; there are more recent archives, but they are all from after he pulled the stories or otherwise seriously flawed.

Not that the captures were perfect.

While in a couple of cases the reason there isn't an actual story at the end of a link is because he hadn't actually posted the story at the time he shut everything down, but had created a link for it in advance of posting, there are some where he had posted the story, but somehow the Wayback Machine didn't capture that particular page in any of it's captures.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Actually in this case I believe it might not have been captured was because it was incomplete at the time he pulled his stories. However, knowing "artie" and having corresponded with him about his tales, --- let's just say that the guy was an original.

PS; have found that recent versions of the "wayback machine" are VERY spotty.

K Pelle
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
callas
Talent

Boy Saves Big Dog From Drowning,

Post by callas »

An old book about a boy on his first job on a boat who saves a dog about to drown.

Fired from his job he decides to go to his father's property and cut trees for lumber. The very job that killed his father just before the story started. The dog comes with him and helps drag the logs, sunbathing the but struggled with, to the river where they tie them into a raft and float it down to the sawmill to sell.

I read it after 1995 but the book was much older. I think the dog was a Great Dane, I just remember it was a big dog. I need help identifying the book.
dragonmage
Novice

Post by dragonmage »

in the story the mc is the second son and is sent to a collage far away he does well there with the only problem being that he only has part of his family Cultivation technique and war has made it difficult to get in contact with his family for the rest of it. he receives word that both his father and his brother has died and now he is the heir to the land and must return
MrKoffee
Talent

Post by MrKoffee »

All I can remember about this book I'm looking for is

1) Framed and fired from his job
2) Girlfriend (fiance?) was hooking up with his boss
3) He becomes an alcoholic
4) Ends up fighting an Alien for boozes
5) Winds up on a space station

Any leads appreciated!
MrKoffee
Talent

Post by MrKoffee »

Well, the book is called Alutia Rising by Craig Gerttula. I bought it in January of 2014 as a epub. now you can't buy the first OR the second book .Bought the first book, but never bought the second. I vaguely remember waiting for the price to drop on it.
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Post by lagomilo »

"The Private" on SOL by Random Writings. Does anyone know if it was finished "Anywhere" by the author? It was a great story. Was wondering maybe the author published it under another title some place.

Lago
HiDef Dragon
Talent

Post by HiDef Dragon »

As far as I am aware, "The Private" is still unfinished. I contacted Random Writings a year or so ago and got a reply that RL was having to take priority.
tobias2
Talent

Post by tobias2 »

Does anyone know where I can find The Lurkers old stories? I remember he had an story called "Strange Days" that I enjoyed but can't seem to locate it on Amazon and the old webpage doesn't work anymore. Any help would be appreciated!
davien96
Novice

Post by davien96 »

[quote=tobias2 post_id=36055 time=1553692281 user_id=20736]
Does anyone know where I can find The Lurkers old stories? I remember he had an story called "Strange Days" that I enjoyed but can't seem to locate it on Amazon and the old webpage doesn't work anymore. Any help would be appreciated!
[/quote]

I site ripped it a long time ago back when I didn't have a regular internet collection so built up a saved collection but just found it again here https://storiesonline.net/a/The_Lurker. Looks like the other Slayer stories have been removed but those were unfinished. Enjoy.
crxbnt
Da'Shar

Post by crxbnt »

Strange Days is on Stories Online (https://anonsol.net/s/11883/strange-days). "The Muscle" and "Superstory" are also there. "Strange Days" was the best one in my opinion. Just strange.
tobias2
Talent

Post by tobias2 »

Awesome! Thanks for the help!
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Post by imthejman85 »

I read a story on storiesonline.net years back where the protagonist was I think struck by lightning or something like that. He eventually learned he'd developed the ability to manipulate/create matter and his power grew as the story ran it's course. He had some relationship issue with his wife/GF(can't remember which). In the end I think he basically cleaned the CO2 from the atmosphere instantly and moved to the moon or something. Anyone know the name? Been looking for it off and on for a couple years now.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell