So, update time.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

So, update time.

Post by Fel »

I'm about 3/4 done with Revelation2. I hope to have it done by the end of next week, because I've had less time to write than I anticipated.

Why this matters is this. As some of you know, I've used the same laptop for writing for the last 13 years. But, with the recent issues I've had with it, I can't cling to it anymore. It ate the brand new cooling fan I put in it, and I can't assume that it's NOT going to eat the new one I put in it yesterday.

So, I've decided that finally, FINALLY, it's time to upgrade.

What this means is that after I finish revelation2, I'll be buying the new laptop. When I do, it means I'll have to move on from the VERY OLD version of Word I use for writing. Revelation3 and everything else after it might be in a different format, like .docx or whatever the new version of Word runs.

I'm going to try to save all future work in the same .doc format for consistency, but I'm honestly not sure if that's possible.

So, be ready for that possibility. Also be ready for the fact that I may not be sticking with the new Word. I've been recommended other word processing programs, and if the new Word annoys me too much, I'll be trying some alternatives. So, things may be a little hectic for a couple of weeks until I settle on a new word processing program, learn its features, and then get back to serious writing.

I haven't looked at laptops yet, but I know what I want. I want to find a laptop, as in a LAPTOP and not a glorified tablet, that's as close to the same size as my Asus EEE as possible. I have small hands, and I find the keyboard of that laptop absolutely perfect for me when it comes to typing. I can crank out about 100 words a minute on my EEE, and I honestly have trouble typing on conventional sized keyboards now because I've used it for so long.

I've seen some super el-cheapo garbage laptops at Walmart that are the same size as my EEE, but I'm not settling for a garbage Celeron or i3 processor or similar drek. If companies are producing EEE-sized laptops as el cheapos, then I should be able to find an i5 or i7 with a similar size profile. I may have to order it, but I'm sure there's one out there.

If I'm gonna upgrade, I'm gonna get something that will last me for the next 13 years.

So, there we are. I'll finish chapter 2, buy my new laptop, and then hopefully it'll only take me a couple of days to settle on a new writing program and get right back at it.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Z.C.
Talent

Re: So, update time.

Post by Z.C. »

Even with the new laptop, you should still be able to find and install an older version of Word. Personally, I tend to use Word from the Office 2003 set. If you need help finding or installing it, message me direct and I may be able to help.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I tried installing my current version of Word on this desktop, but it didn't work. It's just too old, and the version is a student version sold primarily at colleges. I think it's just too old and too different from standard versions of Word to work on Windows 10.
Z.C.
Talent

Post by Z.C. »

Which one do you have?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

It's MS Office 2002 Professional for Students, but I only install the Word part of it.

It's for Windows XP.

You think that it will install on the laptop? That maybe it's just this desktop that has issues? I've only tried to install it on this desktop.
Z.C.
Talent

Post by Z.C. »

Word 2002 (part of Office XP) should run on Windows 10, it is just not “certified” and supported by M$ anymore. Check out this article:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 36cdb1936c
They have versions of Office all the way back to Office 95 running on Windows 10. If your install disc is having issues, ISOs of the Office XP install disc (and all other versions) are available via Microsoft’s MSDN service (and the usual copies). Your activation key for the student version, AFAIK, should activate it just fine. It is a licensing issue only, there, not a functionality one.
Z.C.
Talent

Post by Z.C. »

BTW, depending on what error messages you got, it should install on the desktop just fine as well, just might need a little help.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Cool, I'll try installing it on the laptop when I get it.

Will just need to buy an external DVD for the laptop to run my installation CD, they don't come with those anymore.
Z.C.
Talent

Post by Z.C. »

Or get the install ISO and extract the install files from it. I rarely use my physical CD/DVD drive anymore.
heustess
Katzh-dashi

Post by heustess »

I find a thorough application of Defenestration Pro works wonders for recalcitrant computers.
XavDan
Initiate

Post by XavDan »

Hi Fel,

Libre Office can provide an equivalent for Word. Please try it.

https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/onli ... soft-word/

Thanks
Grommley
Novice

Post by Grommley »

Older versions of Office that need to activate will no longer install as MS has removed the activation servers for them. I think anything 2010 and prior are affected. This is from my experience working in a computer repair shop in Canada, so things may work differently for you there.
If you want a free office alternative, Softmaker Freeoffice is one that I have had recommended to me recently by someone I trust who uses a lot of cross platform and non-MS software. He says it is a really good alternative. He used to recommend things like LibreOffice, but has moved away from them for various reasons.
As for M365 versions of Word, it works basically the same way. All the features are still there, but may have had the button moved. Keyboard shortcuts should still work the same as always. And M365 family allows you to install on 5 devices with the single subscription. I looked it up and personal works the same way. You can use it on up to 5 devices with the single license.

As for EEE PC's, those have mostly gone away from my experience. There are some small form factor laptops out there though, so I am sure you will find something that fits your needs.
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke
valinor89
Initiate

Post by valinor89 »

Regarding the document file format, don't worry, any modern word version can save as .doc.
Seeing the format options you seem to use in your writing you should be fine using any word type editor, from proper Word to LibreOffice and the likes to even Google Docs (the last one does not support .doc).

As far as I can see you seem to mainly use formats easily achievable in every text editor. And if you are willing to drop .doc in favour of .docx, one advantage we would have is that it is compatible with Calibre and makes it easier to convert the chapters to read as EPUB or MOBI on eReaders.
You could even use the WordPad that comes with windows 10. It is as basic as it gets, but lets you achieve the formats that you do. If you have set up predefined styles in word 2002 and use them to format you can't do that in WordPad, have to do it manually each change of format. Another con is that it can't open .doc files directly, strangely enough.
Sha`Bren
Talent

Post by Sha`Bren »

If you're looking for something similar in size to the Eee, you might take a look at Microsoft's Surface line. I know you said you don't want a glorified tablet, but the Surface Pro tablet + Type Cover (detachable keyboard/cover) is a better laptop than any of the cheapos from Wally World. They do have proper laptops too, though I've no personal experience with them.

The Lenovo X1 Nano is also a _very_ nice tiny laptop, but it's **expensive**. Like $2500 expensive.

Now I'm wishing I hadn't thrown away my old Eee last year, all that was wrong was a dead hard drive, but I didn't see the sense in fixing a laptop from 2008 lol
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

Just a quick browse through, anything in a 10" format is going to be the low budget barely computer's. the 13" variety (still rather small and don't have a large keyboard on them) will likely be the class you want to look into. That's where you'll start finding the I5's and the Ryzen cpu's with decent memory and HD space.

Asus does have the L210 but it comes with a celeron processor. Not a great option but if all you're doing with it is non-gaming stuff like websurfing/videos/social media and word processing it would be functional.

For the prices I'm seeing I would go with a 13" or a 15". You get much more computer for comparatively not that much more. As far as the keyboard, shop around. There are many different keyboard layouts available. They're not limited to screen size alone. You might find a laptop that's a 17" screen but has the keyboard layout that you love.

This is the newer version of my laptop. I have the Ryzen 5 3500 cpu instead of the 5500 and I think they updated the GPU as well. Very solid laptop. I use mine as a portable gaming platform. Works for most games decently.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... Hatch%20BV