It's the news you never want to get.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Re: It's the news you never want to get.

Post by kd7mvs »

When my sister was a senior in high school she had an evening where she had severe pain in the lower abdomen, so my folks took her in to the hospital; sis doesn't complain about things that aren't serious.

The resident looked at her, saw she was small for her age (she still is), ignored all documentation as to her age and did the whole, "Oh, do we have a tummy ache" condescending asshole talking down to a grade schooler type thing, and sent her on home.

A couple of hours later, due to the increase in pain levels, my folks took her back in.
Someone else looked her over...and they got her appendix removed prior to its rupturing, but it was a near thing.
Feedback from the nursing staff was they all thought the resident was a real piece of work.

That was back in the 1975-76 school year.
Because of that asshole she nearly died at 17.
Sis is 62 now, and going strong; definitely better than her 2-years-younger brother...

It's a sad thing that this kind of stupidity still occurs.

I'm glad to hear that once the constipation was cleared up your mom recovered to the level that she's recognizably herself mentally.
Clearly she's not long for this world, but its easier to make your goodbyes when you know someone is home.
Your family is rightly your top priority just now.
Even if we aren't good at expressing it, we are concerned for you and yours, and hope you are able to make it through this with the least additional unnecessary unpleasantness.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

My mother passed away earlier today.

She went from awake, alert, and happy on Christmas day to gone in just a week.

We think it was Christmas. She'd been so looking forward to it, and we think that once she got there, got to say goodbye to her grandchildren and her brothers, that she was ready to go.

I'm still not quite sure how to process it. I thought I'd be broken up, but I'm just, just...numb. I guess the breaking down is going to hit me later, like it did when my father died.

Anyway, that's it.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

im sorry for your loss. At least your mom got one last holiday with all of you.

my grandparents all passed the same way. Alert one day, gone the next. the hospice my grandmother was in said that is very common.
TheFanatics
Initiate

Post by TheFanatics »

I'm sorry for your loss Fel.
Andygal
Sorcerer

Post by Andygal »

as I understand it's very common for people to pass just after a holiday or birthday.

In any case, I'm sorry for your loss.
Old signature was in need of replacement, insert clever new signature here.
wetnomad
Katzh-dashi

Post by wetnomad »

I can understand and sympathise, after literally watching my father die several years ago, from cancer. At the time there is a feeling of overwhelming emotional loss but at the same time your mind is numb, like this isn't actually happening. For me, having to deal with the aftermath, i.e. arranging the funeral etc., the emotional pain gave way to periods of emotional reflection and gradual acceptance. When you've watched it happen, no matter how much your mind wants to deny it, there's only one way to go forward. My condolences.
Cougar2k2
Sui'Kun

Post by Cougar2k2 »

My most sincere condolences for you and your families loss. I doubt anything I could say would help alleviate any kind of pain you feel so I just hope that you and your family pull together and come through this as best you can after such a tremendous loss.
"I can control my destiny, but not my fate. Destiny means there are opportunities to turn right or left, but fate is a one-way street. I believe we all have the choice as to whether we fulfil our destiny, but our fate is sealed."
--Paulo Coelho
Grommley
Novice

Post by Grommley »

I am sorry for your loss. At least she got to spend her last days with you and your family at home.
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

my condolences.
NSC
Katzh-dashi

Post by NSC »

I am very sorry to read this update. I hope the Christmas memories and those from the turn of the new year contain some good ones for you to carry on with. I spent my Christmas without my father, who was in the hospital again. No visitors allowed, so phone calls were all we had. Thankfully we did bring him home on New Year Eve.
hikuk
Initiate

Post by hikuk »

My condolences.
Eurasier
Sorcerer

Post by Eurasier »

My sincere condolences, Fel.
More power to the werewolves!
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

I am sorry for your loss Fel

My sincere condolences for you and your family
Ping
Novice

Post by Ping »

My condolences, Fel, as well as my congratulations.

Condolences because losing a parent sucks and creates a void that never really gets filled.

Congratulations because it went fast. Both my parents, as well as a grandmother, died from cancer that had metastasized in their brains. That really hurt, as they went through a living hell, my mother losing her ability to communicate, my grandmother getting abusive, and my father losing contact with reality. So count not only yourself, but especially your mother, lucky that it went fast. Yes, it still sucks, and it hurts, but, believe me, it's so much better than if your mother had lingered on.
If you don't feel offended after reading this posting, you have my deepest apology.
crxbnt
Da'Shar

Post by crxbnt »

I am sorry for your loss, and wish you grace through your grieving. There is no good way to lose a loved one, and no easy way to process it.