WTF

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
hikuk
Initiate

WTF

Post by hikuk »

I read some stories on royalroad and while looking at the trending I found this https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37934 ... pace-babes there is no mention of fel anywhere and I havent gotten past chapter 1 but this guy just stole the whole idea. Idk if you can sue him but you should contact royalroad and have it taken down.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Re: WTF

Post by Wolfee »

hikuk wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:20 am I read some stories on royalroad and while looking at the trending I found this https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37934 ... pace-babes there is no mention of fel anywhere and I havent gotten past chapter 1 but this guy just stole the whole idea. Idk if you can sue him but you should contact royalroad and have it taken down.

There are some interesting similarities. The main character is named Jason and he is an engineering student. But from that point the story diverges in a number of significant points.

It is important to note that plagiarism is not necessarily a copyright infringement. While there are several questionable similarities after chapter 1 the story diverges rather significantly from Fel's work.
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

Wolfee wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:23 pmThere are some interesting similarities. The main character is named Jason and he is an engineering student. But from that point the story diverges in a number of significant points.

It is important to note that plagiarism is not necessarily a copyright infringement. While there are several questionable similarities after chapter 1 the story diverges rather significantly from Fel's work.
After just reading the first scene in the story, I'm going to generally agree with this. I'd stop short of calling it plagiarism. From what I've seen so far, It also is entirely possible the person writing it has never heard of the Subjugation series, or of Fel. So guess we could say this is a potential stand-alone-complex, at least based on the first scene.

A LOT of sci-fi stories in particular are floating around where the MC(Main Character) is some kind of engineer. It's basically a trope in its own right where sci-fi is concerned, and other genres too.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheEngineer

Jason as a name is not particularly uncommon in the United States. There also is a pop culture reason to go with that name in the form of Jason Bourne.

For someone wanting to write a naughtier sci-fi story where the male MC is concerned, having the aliens be matriarchal is a natural fit. And with a title like "Sexy Space Babes" that certainly seems to be an objective here, although I do have to wonder about posting to RR in that case. This is a trope for a lot or erotic fiction.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... dSpaceBabe

Even if the intentions aren't overtly sexual, the "gender role reversal" is a borderline trope as well.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... ertedTrope

As to setting the story (insert period of time after arrival) that could just as easily be an alleged play on Earth: Final Conflict or any number of other sci-fi properties.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... asionStory

So far, I'm only seeing a bunch of tropes being shared and the MC is named Jason and both MC's also happen to be good at unarmed combat because why not? We want the MC to be at least a little bit of a badass. (Also a trope)

edit: Also "Imperial Space Marines" are also rather trope-ish, Fel wasn't the first person to use the idea.

going to speculate even further on things I may see as the following are also common writing tools/tropes for setting the story, and ones that Fel used very effectively, but also possibly likely to turn up as I read further:

Parents are dead(by various means), and no siblings -- this means the MC is likely to be both "unattached" and somewhat sympathetic to the reader, but more importantly, it means that character is immediately open to both travel(adventure) and taking risks.

edit2: okay, the author took option 2: family isn't dead, but he is estranged from them and evidently doesn't like them much. In any case, he has "no attachments" to cause him to be too circumspect about his choices/actions beyond normal self-preservation.

And by Chapter 2 the story has continued to diverge from Subjugation, no evidence of telepathy demonstrated as of yet. The aliens aren't space-elves, the MC's circumstances are also very different to what Jason Fox experienced.

It is increasingly looking like the writer just happened to throw together a combination a tropes that were common to Subjugation and gave the Main Character the same first name.

Edit 3: It has almost completely and fully diverged from Subjugation aside from the tropes they happen to have in common. No use of anything resembling hyperspace in Subjugation. There are 8 women to 1 male for the alien empire, and spoiler items I won't cover say the probability of it trying to retread that particular path is unlikely. Except possibly where more tropes might eventually become "in common," such as corrupt nobility doing corrupt noble things.

But from what I've seen in my skim through the 9 chapters posted so far, it looks mostly like a setting built around the idea of the MC building a harem and just generally man-whoring it up.
Magoo
Talent

A Subjugation wanna be?

Post by Magoo »

Saw this story on RR and read the first chapter...

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37934 ... pace-babes
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Re: A Subjugation wanna be?

Post by imthejman85 »

Looks like a reskin of Subjugation to me. Hell, just a broken down and watered down version...
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Re: A Subjugation wanna be?

Post by Not a ID »

Really should be merged with the "WTF" thread. It's about the same story.

If your read more than the first 7 paragraphs, it runs off in a very different direction and continues to develop distance from there.

It shares a number of tropes with Subjugation, and the MC happens to have the same first name and profession, from there the similarities fall apart.

The MC's family seems to still be alive, and he hates his father. The Aliens have advanced technology(duh) and are kicking the ass of the human resistance, but the Aliens don't have telepaths to wipe it out at the roots--because by all appearances the alien space babes aren't telepaths. The list of differences just grows and grows beyond that.

In the meantime, I'm sure that author appreciates the free publicity you guys are giving him over here.
jeffreyC
Novice

Post by jeffreyC »

The use of the name Jason for the MC goes back at least as far as Jason and the Argonauts.

In the first chapter the aliens are described as having tusks, so they seem more like purple space orcs than space elves.
If the English language had a flag it would have to be the Jolly Roger.